It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen's President 'has no control' as Houthi rebels storm palace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Shiite Houthi rebels overtook the presidential palace in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, on Tuesday, marking what a government minister called "the completion of a coup."

"The President has no control," Minister of Information Nadia Sakkaf told CNN as clashes raged.

President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi was thought to be in his private residence at the time -- not in the palace. There were reports of clashes near the residence.

And the Prime Minister's residence was under attack from the street, Sakkaf said.

Yemen's President 'has no control' as Houthi rebels storm palace

As the article goes on to state, a power vacuum like this will probably end up benefiting terrorists.

It appears that the president was not in the palace, but that rebels are now attacking his private residence.

I'm really hoping this doesn't devolve to the point where we become more involved than we probably already are.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I suppose that partially explains why Saudi Arabia was also building that high tech fence along their southern border as well. Anyone who has been keeping an eye on Yemen over the last decade knew this was eventually going to happen. only a handful of Middle Eastern vassal states left. Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, SA, UAE, and Oman are left. If defense spending is any kind of marker, we can see Iraq is quickly falling under Russian influence themselves.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

If helicopters and V-22 aircraft from the ships are sent to Sanaa, it would be a complex operation that could last for several days to fully evacuate "several hundred Americans" from the embassy, the official cautioned. "Nobody should think this would be easy."

The military is aware the State Department wants to keep the embassy open as long as possible, the official said, noting that it's a valuable tool to monitor Al Qaeda in Yemen. But behind the scenes the Pentagon is pressing the point that if an evacuation becomes necessary they want to do it before the chaos in Sanaa descends into a 'non permissive environment," akin to combat. For now, the US believes the Houthis are not targeting Americans, but its not clear if that will last.

I really hope it doesn't get to that point. Evacuating an embassy does not sound like fun to me.

Link

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
10:1 odds are, we're gonna be ramping up the number of drone strikes in the coming months.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

Didn't Saudi Arabia get there asses handed to them by these guys a while back?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I dont know much of the details as it was happening around the time of the Arab Spring and there were quite alot of activity going on around the same time. But yes SA did launch a campaign into yemen but a few years back. heres the first thing I was able to find back in '09

A crucially important conflict, woefully under-reported in the west, has now come to a head in the Middle East. In response to an ongoing fight that could spill out beyond the Arabian peninsula, Saudi Arabia has entered into direct war with the Houthi rebels in northern Yemen.

Source

I suppose six years later, the successful coup in Yemen as well as SA building an armed border would support the claim that they had their asses handed to them.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Are the reports of a coup just a thinly veiled cover up of the fact that Islamic crazies are now in complete control of the country?

Now that the Islamic crazies are in control of Yemen or will be soon the next events to watch for are the fall of Baghdad and various Islamic terrorist groups to turn their attention on Jordan. The fall of Baghdad will mirror the fall of Saigon and Jordan has been thrown under the bus by Obama and other western leaders.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
From Yemen you could have a go at interrupting the flow of traffic in the Red Sea. All of the Suez Canal traffic has to pass a relatively narrow point overlooked by Yemen. The shipping channel does not look all that wide.

P

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
BTW Somo1, I did a thread on this earlier today. ZDon't worry, I'm not getting on your case, I'm just adding this for extra info
Arjunanda a reply to: Domo1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

Nor problem! I'll ask the mods to close this one. I have to admit I didn't search.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
You don't have to do that Domo1, I'm grooving on your thread's replies

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
You don't have to do that Domo1, I'm grooving on your thread's replies

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Already posted. Please continue your discussion here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.

top topics

join