It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emoticons, are they hieroglyphs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ok so im half joking but i found it to be an interesting comparison nonetheless. So are the use of things like emoticons and these other little forms of communication were starting to use more on our cellphones and ipads possibly the start of a new form of conversation.? What about the evolution of instagram and vine and our newly forming relationship with machines(symbiosis).

Are these early trend indicators that are revealing a future technology where we will communicate directly with each other if we want through images and video and a future where we can tune into anyone else life at any time and see and hear what they see and hear and understand?

Have fun with that one.

Ok I had to finish the first sentence try rereading it because now it makes sense, I mean yeah...
edit on 1/20/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FinalCountdown

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
yeah, maybe. Probably.

What about anime? It sure looks like hieroglyphs to me. Didn't the ancient Egyptians use hieroglyphs for entertainment as well? I think I heard that somewhere.

It is said that nothing is new under the sun--that it has all been done before.

And I tend to agree with this

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Good thread topic. Internet users have learned a new language using these and other symbols, a language so familiar to us that we don't even notice it's a new language. Your OP reminds us of this fact. I sometimes put my attention on the letters of the alphabet, and look at each one's design, and realize that they are just lines and circles or parts of circles. All of these letters are so simple looking, and the same with numbers, and yet from these simple lines and circles (or parts of circles) have come the transference of knowledge and discovery, creating the human races understanding of itself and of the vastness of the universe around us. Your OP reminds me of this very fun fact again, thanks for posting it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I read a science fiction book once long ago, that had some people exploring some ancient star ships that had been abandon long ago.

The ships didn't use faster than light, so their trips took a very long time. So long that they expected languages to change by the time they got back.

Signs and name plates in the ship were designed to use pictures instead of words so that no mater what language change happened, new people boarding the ship would still understand what the signs and name plates meant.

We already do that when you think about it. Take a look at the international road signs. They are meant as symbols that anyone who learns them can understand no mater what language they speak.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

same story as the tower of babel.

Everyone spoke one language. meaning everyone used symbols. And reguardless of what sounds you made verbally in culture people understood each other through hyroglphs.

I bet people carried these symbols around with them on their necks so they could show them to anyone and strike up a conversation even if you don't verbally speak the same langauge.

That would explain why there are similar looking hyroglphs spread throughout the planet from ancient civilizations where we cant even read the text. Like the text on Easter island.

top topics

join