It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That point when....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

What's so crazy is that you have to go out of your way to eat healthy in the U.S.

As far as the expats, how we eat here and your observations/experiences - that would be a great thread that I'd be very interested in reading.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

haha i know...when you look at what is in salsa...its the most delicious healthy snack ever depending on the salt intake if you add any...and ive found putting salsa on a cracker or low fat chip makes no difference...you could even use rice cakes...its the salsa that fills up your mouth with flavor

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Yeah I''ve mulled over it, but my perceived hardships (not the good things there is plenty of that) I fear will just get attacked.

Most things are cookie cut restaurants. More I am use to. in the big cities I can find great restaurants or cafes that make nice food, but I travel a heap and I find its all the same awful food.

The bread is the worst. Its like candy floss, it melts on your tongue as its all sugar. THough I found this awesome bread by an ex con. Ill look it up.

I also avoid GMOs.

I grew my own veggies in Oz, or nicked my mums if I was travelling too much to grow them. To be honest fruit doesn't taste the same.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Good to see you dont need coffee in the morning. I myself shock many of my co-workers and friends when I tell them my morning starts wit a glass of ruby red grapefruit juice. Im Colombian and I do not even drink coffee. thats what happens when your born in the good ol U.S.A. !! I think coffee tastes good but I just have no interest in drinking it. Like literally zero. I cannot really explain that, especially since I love the smell of a freshly brewed batch. I enjoy the flavor and the smell and yet I dare not even think about drinking it. Any thoughts on that?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

I lived for coffee, til moving here.

I have found great coffee (well normal like home)
LA Venice Beach Intelligensia
NYC Breslin Hotel cafe.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I hear you. Bread. Pasta.......... OMG nom nom Pastaaaa......... delightful chow fun wide noodles..... it's just not fair.

So. I have started making buckwheat noodles. Rice noodles. Breadfruit salad.

I am happy to not live in a place that has conventional fast food. It would all be tooooo much for me now. I think we have to negotiate with ourselves. We don't want to have a nutritionally empty existence, but we want to eat foods that please us and are also beneficial. I give up wheat, but I gain rice. I wave goodbye to corn. Well. There is no substitute to make up for corn. You just have to say goodbye to it and hope that someday you can have a little bit.

It's not fair that the really tasty stuff mostly adversely affects our health and well-being. It's not right that a person should contemplate giving up potatoes.

When my Grandmother came to live with us, she was 85. She came with a list of things that she could not have. Neither she nor us thought that the list had any value. I remember my Grandmother's eyes lighting up when I asked her if she wanted a wee glass of wine.

Somewhere in between complete indulgence and utter control is the balance that each of us can hope to strike.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Drops off cakes... cookies... chocolate ..
*exits ao fast*

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

NYC Breslin Hotel cafe.

For real coffee best places
1. vienna
2. vietnam
3 malaysia

By far the traditionally served coffees in vietnam and malaysia put everywhere else to shame .. for coffee and pastries best in world is vienna ..

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't care for sweets much anymore. I'm not sure why. I still enjoy some bread, if it is homemade or sourdough rye but I can only eat a little and feel satisfied. Sodas taste way to sweet. A quarter tsp of cane sugar in some water tastes much better. And I don't know why. I sure wasn't trying to cut back, it just happened.

My wife looks at me strangely now, she thinks everyone should like sweets. She is still hooked on them, she needs them.

I hope you succeed in kicking the addiction. You will feel much better, I sure do.

edit on 20-1-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I'd share with you KJ. My husband likes salty foods as well so we always have plenty.... As in a lot lol.

I am not so sure that excess salt is so good for you either . But who am i to give that advice . I would put salt on anchovies if i was sure no one was watching .

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: Bigburgh

haha i know...when you look at what is in salsa...its the most delicious healthy snack ever depending on the salt intake if you add any...and ive found putting salsa on a cracker or low fat chip makes no difference...you could even use rice cakes...its the salsa that fills up your mouth with flavor

Oooo...
Good point. Sorry it took awhile to respond..
But I will not let that go dark.
Yes.. with any good diet takes cardiac consideration.
Salt in taste worthy overkill amounts, is a blood pressure nightmare..
Again.. don't go overboard with it.
As I said.. I grow stuff that is packed already with flavor and or sweetness..
You actually can by the produce right from the produce section of your local market.. no salt needed.. just the goods.
If you require more flavor.. add garlic.
Fresh and dried parsley is also very good for you. Helps digestion too.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

NYC Breslin Hotel cafe.

For real coffee best places
1. vienna
2. vietnam
3 malaysia

By far the traditionally served coffees in vietnam and malaysia put everywhere else to shame .. for coffee and pastries best in world is vienna ..

~cough~
Eh her mm....

If you happen to have a sister who's husband's mom owns a kona coffee farm... get that coffee! You will love it!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't care for sweets much anymore. I'm not sure why. I still enjoy some bread, if it is homemade or sourdough rye but I can only eat a little and feel satisfied. Sodas taste way to sweet. A quarter tsp of cane sugar in some water tastes much better. And I don't know why. I sure wasn't trying to cut back, it just happened.

My wife looks at me strangely now, she thinks everyone should like sweets. She is still hooked on them, she needs them.

I hope you succeed in kicking the addiction. You will feel much better, I sure do.

My brain is getting tired..
But give me a second..
Think back.. OK forget it.. as a baby. You ate baby foods. Try that now. I sure can't. My face will implode and explode in agony.
The tongue is your guide.. as a baby. It processes the bitter of bitter.. the baby is STRONG IN FLAVOR.. but over time. It gets worn out. Let that palate mellow... Age.smoking.adventurous eater...
Research the left brain.. some who suffer a left brain stroke.. end up needing sweets.. lack hunger control...
Inhibitions of control of certain hungers... its do to that left lobe...
Logging off.. night y'all!:-)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

You are sooooooooo right.

I've lapsed every weekend since Christmas. Carbs are more addictive than most drugs!

Here's some things I've found which make the carb crave subside a little:

Bacon - lots of fried bacon,
Double cream - just drink that thick fatty goodness,
Carrot sticks and cucumber sticks and a salsa (with no sugar),
100% meat sausages,
Chorizo,
Salchichon/fuet etc.

Or if you are really feeling the urge you could buy some Splendor or equivalent but I have a feeling that stuff is just as bad a s the carbs.

EDIT: Also this beauty - make a lasagne but substitue the pasta sheets for leek sheets (cut leek halfway to centre lengthways making sheets - par boil them to soften em up), substitute the white sauce for double cream. Boom - leek lasagne with no carbs.
edit on 21-1-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Salty potato chips are my achilles heel.

I could inhale them damn things for breakfast, lunch, and supper...

*sigh*

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Salty potato chips are my achilles heel.

I could inhale them damn things for breakfast, lunch, and supper...

*sigh*

I'll keep that in mind when you are protecting me from the femitheists LOLOLOLOLOL.

I'd make all you ladies chips, jerky, and pies if I could, from scratch to boot =D

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Deal.

You keep the Lay's potato chips stockpiled and I'll keep my sword sharp and shiny.

Oh, and kosmicjack needs a few oreo truffles within reach while she's honing her machete...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I got your back yo lol Kosmic Jack too!!

Lays used to be made near where I used to live at In PA same with Snyders of Hanover pretzels =D lol I'm in VT at the moment so I will start stock piling craft wine, beer, and cheese
for all the salt fanatics, when I get back down to Hershey PA I can't speak for Oreos but I can grab a ton of chocolate before heading farther south again. I'll be the best kept secret EVVVVVER!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So I had broccoli for the 3rd night in a row, so yeah.
Just thought I'd share that joy.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

For me it's kale or mixed greens. But yeah, I feel ya!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join