It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennesse first state to propose ban on military equipment to police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Wow! Check it out, the first state that sees that the police and their threat of use of military weapons on the public is a real worrying issue. I would love if the rest of the USA would hop on the bandwagon and get this military crap off our soil. source

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't think TN had ever once crossed my mind as a place I could move to.

Perhaps I should do some reading up on the place.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So umm it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why the police are gearing up with military equipment, um duh. . . .

If the government ever ever decides to say bye bye to the 2nd amendment, they are going to need that equipment. . . . For you, I mean us, or you know what I mean. . . .

edit on 20-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
look honestly, I do not see why it is a problem for a police department to have an MRAP. It is not even a tracked vehicle. They are not mounting .50 cal machine guns or 20mm cannons or any kind of explosive delivery systems to it. It is essentially just a giant armored vehicle. How is it any more menacing than the APC's of the past?? I would be more worried about the police having grenade launchers or armed UAV's than an MRAP. I feel like the whole MRAP controversy is more hype than anything.

The police have had armored vehicles for decades before MRAPS were invented. But suddenly the mine resistant version of an armored vehicle is not ok?? I would think if the police were facing a serious enough threat to warrant the legit use of an armored vehicle, the resistance to roadside explosives would make it a plus. Sure the likelihood that they will ever face that scenario is weak, but does this feature alone really warrant the stigma that was never attached to the other armored vehicles in police service for decades prior to the creation of an MRAP??

I think my thing is that the MRAP really is not a big deal. Its the armed UAV's and grenade launchers that bother me. If the police can be authorized to stockpile and/or deploy explosive weaponry, the citizens should as well. There are already grenade launchers in private ownership all over the country, and yet no instance of mass murder by grenade launcher. The hoops to jump through in order to own one are rather stringent and one is always being watched. But seeing as they are in the hands of law abiding citizens there is no problem.

Police around the country however have a poor track record when it comes to killing citizens when they should not. In my book, they can have their AR's, and MRAPs. Frankly they are entitled to them as the regular citizens have the means to challenge them with the same armaments. But explosives and armed UAV's should be out of the question. Frankly, any citizen with a mild understanding of engineering and a more in depth knowledge of chemistry could easily make a kamikaze drone that takes out targets in cars with a drone the size of a toy tonka dump truck.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

TN has a strange pull on people..... Many of us are not natives and have been drawn here after a vacation or passing through. I Know so many people that moved here after a visit. It is a beautiful area, and having lived all over the Southeast, I hope to remain here. The people are great too!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I don't think TN had ever once crossed my mind as a place I could move to.

Perhaps I should do some reading up on the place.

Watch them preconceived notions, we are growing fast here in middle TN and jobs are plenty. I've watched ghetto slums rise into decent communities while I here about other cities crumbling.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I can see them keeping some of the equipment. I always say a lot of the big tanks came in handy in Atlanta's Snowpocolyps last year

A lot of TN is very beautiful. Smoky Mountains and all....

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So who'll get the military weapons the police have to give up
DHS?
Homeland Scrutinizer?
While I agree it's a good idea I wonder in the long run would it make a difference?
We may want our LOCAL police having such things.
Never know what the future holds.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

They'd be scrapped or left to rust.

There is a LOT of surplus military equipment laying around.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

I would like to volunteer us, the citizens of empire to enjoy these toys. Maybe they can feel the anxiety we have been feeling when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DYepes

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

I would like to volunteer us, the citizens of empire to enjoy these toys. Maybe they can feel the anxiety we have been feeling when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak?

Absolutely. Afterall, the people paid for it all.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
If police are given military equipment, they'll have to train people how to use it and maintain it. Then they'll have to justify the expense of training people how to use it an maintain it by actually using it against people.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I stay there a few weeks of the year. There have been some instances of police going over the top, but its a beautiful place.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
If police are given military equipment, they'll have to train people how to use it and maintain it. Then they'll have to justify the expense of training people how to use it an maintain it by actually using it against people.

MRAPs are maintained by any heavy equipment mechanic. It doesn't require any more or less training than a heavy equipment mechanic would already have.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DYepes
look honestly, I do not see why it is a problem for a police department to have an MRAP. It is not even a tracked vehicle. They are not mounting .50 cal machine guns or 20mm cannons or any kind of explosive delivery systems to it. It is essentially just a giant armored vehicle.

Because once one little thing "isn't a problem", then the next "little thing" shouldn't be a problem either, or the little thing after that. By the time the "big thing" comes along... well, they already have all those "little things", you can't really stop them now and if you wanted to complain you should have done it long ago.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I love Tennessee !

Specifically Bristol Motor Speedway.

The people there have always been awesome to me, if my experiences with Volunteers are any indication they don't need excessive police armaments.

Can't wait to be back in April, I am micro-sponsoring a car so I've got Hot pit passes. The only problem I've ever had in Tennessee was getting people to shut up about Elvis...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Me too. I apend a few weeka a year at our families place about 30 min from knoxville and the Smokey mnt natnl park. It's great and ive never personally had a bad experience. As long as you stay out of the bad parts of Knoxville and Memphis it's all cool. Ah and dont hike without bear spray. Ive seen bear in the wild on several occasions in the smokeys. Its full of them.

I myself am not into racing, but if you are, scopw the Nascar diner if its still therw in Pigwon Forge.
edit on 21-1-2015 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Good for Tennessee, I like the state and their view on this. If I can't buy the equipment as a citizen, the police do not need it.

When Obama gets on TV an says that citizens do not need "weapons of war", and then allows everyone but citizens to have it, that is being a hypocrite.

The Department of Homeland Security specified an AR-15/M-4 type carbine with Eotech and 30 round magazines for "personal defense". Well then, I should be able to easily get the same thing with no arguments about it.

Many people do not realize that many in law enforcement get more than vehicles, it is: night vision, body armor, infra-red and thermal imagers, radio equipment, furniture, cameras, computers, and many other things.

Either make it easier for us tax payers to buy these items, or do not let law enforcement have it for $1.

new topics

top topics

join