It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Going Off Grid!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:18 AM
a reply to: mysterioustranger

The fact that this nation was so asleep at the wheel to ever ALLOW property tax to exist in the first place amazes me....and yet we have to wonder what we are asleep to now.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:12 PM
a reply to: HarryJoy

You have that correct for sure. In this case...they want "off the grid" and purchasing land. That creates a paper trail of ownership, tax rolls, etc.

The only real way to get off and to pack it for the hills miles and miles away and live on the land where its hard to find you.

If you buy, inherit, share or pay for land anywhere...theres a permanent record of it.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:57 PM
a reply to: Phoenix

What kind of batteries are you using?
Also, water treatment?

edit on 21-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:07 AM

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: HarryJoy

You have that correct for sure. In this case...they want "off the grid" and purchasing land. That creates a paper trail of ownership, tax rolls, etc.

The only real way to get off and to pack it for the hills miles and miles away and live on the land where its hard to find you.

It doesn't work like that any more unfortunately.

The bear in the sky (spotter planes) satellites, hikers, hunters etc are all what will trip you up.

People have done what you've said and become unglued. Their cabins have been torn down by the rangers, DNR, BLM etc.

I hate property taxes with a passion, it's the government / state getting their rent off you. Until the big collapse comes though it's the best thing to do if you want to stay on the right side the machine though.

Probably the only exception would be a bunker dug into a hill or mountain and well camoflaged.
edit on 22-1-2015 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:03 PM
One important factor is water, year round running stream or creek can take care o a LOT of your problems,
not only will it be water you need to survive, but you can rig up a hydro generator using high out put
alternators or the likes and take care of your power supply, plus if its big enough water you have a
food supply, as well as a way for irrigation.

One main thing i would require if i had the cash to buy land to set up for this is a year round running

The other thing to think about is making your house, cabin blend in to the surroundings, underground home
or a hobbit home, where the top is covered with bails of hay and dirt adds great insulation as well as
grass and other will grow on it, thus blending it in to look like a hill and not a place people live.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:18 AM

Homestead will have solar, water. Any advice from those who have already gone galt?

While I haven't yet fully done this, I have researched the hell out of it. I've looked at solar, wind, water, etc. power and I keep coming back to one....propane tanks and a home generator.

Simply put, this option is the cheapest, most reliable one, and it doesn't depend on batteries and solar cells that need replacing. In addition, propane keeps forever, is easily obtained pre SHTF, and post SHTF can be easily salvaged. It can also be rationed to last even longer.

That said, I'm not saying the other options aren't useful. I'd love to rig up a solar powered well pump myself, with some nickel/iron batteries (very long-lasting), but for whole house power, with all the modern conveniences, propane is the way to go.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:09 PM
a reply to: Gazrok

My area Propane is kind of pricey and I agree with being able to salvage propane here and there. For me I've located 6 KW low speed twin cylinder diesel generator that uses .36 gal/hr. at 3/4 load maxing out at .47 gal/hr. at 100% load.

Combining that generator on 100 gal tank with another 500 stored, similar sized solar system with the higher quality battery storage should get my energy needs well taken care of.

Have 40 acres of hardwoods for heat so no issue there.

The home is ICF and 8" log so it'll use far less energy than traditional types.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:16 PM
Sounds great OP, if you are looking for some free labour i'm yer man, i could do with a working holiday, all i ask is free digs, free food and maybe some beers on my off time, which would be most weekends and the 4th of july... lol

Serious offer BTW.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 05:09 PM
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Ok, work rules are like those in Egyptian tombs - opsec you know - keep ya in beer though!

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:20 PM
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll put in a garden but consider planting wild edible plants in the surrounding acreage. Fruit and nut trees will be a great asset when of age to produce as well.
Chickens do more than lay eggs and provide meat, they are great at keeping down tick populations. Goats can be great homestead animals as well if you want milk. Just be careful where you let them browse as they eat everything.

If I were building from scratch I would seriously consider an escape tunnel leading to a secluded spot.

I would also keep steel pan traps on hand as trapping is more productive and quieter than hunting.

Have a gate on your driveway.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:11 AM
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Good to know about chickens and ticks. Wild berries do well in the area which gives vitamin C supply. Definitely having large garden that'll provide family food and a surplus.

Traps and snares on hand of course. Deer and small game are abundant.

It was a hard to find property, 10 miles to nearest town, 20 miles to any major path of travel, 1/4 mile square, back acreage with deeded access across 800' feet of forestry land and has two natural springs and creeks.

Getting to it one has to wind around on several county roads then go down a 1 mile dead end county road and then another 3/4 mile on private gated road. Topography on interior roads demand four wheel drive. But all of that is after passing 3 gates, gates are located so no bypass is possible in a vehicle.

Day/night cameras will be located at strategic points anyway as well as more failsafe means of detection.

Suffice to say we don't see any casual arrivals at that location so either its friend or foe.

Yup emergency egress under duress is planned for but wont go into details.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>