It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Off Grid!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Took a long time financially to pay off vehicles, real estate and sundry bills.

That done, am planning cash purchase of 40 acres to build off grid home and farm in South Eastern US with no debt generated.

Have all the expected preps for better than a year already in hand.

Homestead will have solar, water.

Any advice from those who have already gone galt?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Claymores.....

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Question for you please? Will you owe real estate taxes every year on your acreage?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Get to know your neighbours. By the time the SHTF you want them to be the kind of friends that are worried about your well being instead about what you've got in the pantry. If it truly all out hits the fan, community will be the make or break factor for you.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Question for you please? Will you owe real estate taxes every year on your acreage?

Yes, but extremely low compared to other places $200-$300 annually.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Congrats! You will find some great threads on off grid living in the survival forum...we have had the discussion tons of times and there is so much information I don't know where to even begin. Going off grid is the single best way to stick it to the man and I think it helps clear the mind tremendously. Feeling self sustaining is probably the most powerful thing ive ever encountered. Good luck to you.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Claymores.....

I've failed if it gets to that point.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Haven't done it, just considered it somewhat...

Picking the location is important I've heard. One guy I thought intelligent said you try to avoid people or where they might go. Avoid military bases which can be tough as they are spread all over. Avoid main travel routes. If you're building from scratch you have a great advantage as you can place the home well back from the front of the property and completely hidden from view. A crazy deep 'basement' all outfitted for extensive time underground. Construction methods could mimic the surroundings to blend in better. You know the routine I'm sure.

Off grid is much about energy storage as well as generation. Modern solar is good now but batteries haven't improved much except for really expensive Lithium. If you could get a location beside a river that could be a great source of electricity and help the farming. Can't have too much water in the future.

All the Best!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Some times going off the grid means going on the radar....people have been in trouble for not being connected to sewage and power. But I would go if I could in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'd recommend:

several stash caches as mentioning by special forces caching techniques.

Aquaponics, some light windpower as a backup for long overcast periods.

I'd recommend chickens or ducks for eggs.

Composting toilet, or something on par.

Mike Oehler style home so you do not need heating or air conditioning.

A Mike Oehler style greenhouse would work year round with no heat required.

An Einstein type fridge that runs off hot oil provided by multiple sources
such as solar, wood pellets, wood stove, etc...

Stevia as a sweetner, and herb garden with all the medicinal herbs.

Slow sand filter, or bio sand filter, etc etc...

A passive Infrared detector array, night vision, and directional microphone.

A couple of professionally trained guard dogs.

A root cellar that doubles as a fallout shelter, based on the "nuclear war survival skills"
sites information.

There are others, but I'd consider those near the top of my list.

edit on 20-1-2015 by Ex_MislTech because: content

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Any advice from those who have already gone galt?

Self sustainability… Going to need that. The next time the thieving banisters go to congress and say, we screwed up, give us a trillion dollars, or else…

edit on 20-1-2015 by intrptr because: bb code spelling

edit on 20-1-2015 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Your right. My lousy attempt at humor....

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Make sure to know how to use basics dont get overly reliant on the high tech toys .. install manual backup systems.
Dont discuss your plans .. preperation or supply system with anyone nor divulge your location otherwise you end up with uninvited guests ..
doublecheck and make sure you have clear field of fire and secure perimeter ..

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If you're farming I would suggest heirloom seeds. There are several sites you where you can order them. Also, if you don't know anything about canning, learn it and have a place to store your canned food. If you plan on hunting I would plant crops to lure prey in. Also, you might want a backup power supply in case you have a long stretch of cloudy days. As far as buildings go I would suggest a cob house. They looked easy to build in the videos I've seen and from what I've heard, are sturdy. Heat might be a concern. Do you plan on getting a wood stove? I can tell you from experience that you'll want a lot of wood if you are.

I did some digging and found something more on cob houses. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a video

You can make a cob stove for hearing, too. From what I'e heard, cob is a great building material. It's just sand, clay, water, and straw. You can find what the exact portions of each are online. Also, cob houses are well insulated.
edit on 20-1-2015 by Skid Mark because: edit

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Make sure to know how to use basics dont get overly reliant on the high tech toys .. install manual backup systems.
Dont discuss your plans .. preperation or supply system with anyone nor divulge your location otherwise you end up with uninvited guests ..
doublecheck and make sure you have clear field of fire and secure perimeter ..

This is some of the best advice I have ever seen.

When modern society tanks, all the high tech toys will not be repairable.

Even if most of society is functioning, it may cost more then you can afford.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I can't offer any advices, cause I don't know crap about it, but I applaud you for doing this. And slightly envy you a little bit.

If you are really getting prepared for ANY type of SHTF event, a bunker (or even a very good and strong basement) is, I believe, a good idea. I'd also storage seeds, since you never know if you might need to start all over, there or somewhere else.

Uhm, and the usual, I guess? Weapons, binoculars, first aid stuff, medicines... oh, and books. Lots of books about all sorts of things, from gardening to plumbing to construction to health. There was a thread around here with many books that would definitely help, but they were all online. You could print the ones that seem interesting to you? I'll find the link and come back here.

ETA: here it is! Top 10 Survival Downloads You Should Have
edit on 20/1/2015 by LukeDAP because: added link

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Well thats pretty awesome good luck.

Grey matter

well

aquaponics system using gravity and your set
edit on 1/20/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I meant...if you ARE paying your taxes every year like we all have to on our properties...you ARENT off the grid you know?

People don't generally think of that one last glitch. You'll ALWAYS be listed with the gov someplace as the PROPERTY OWNER at the very least.

And they can always FIND you!
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Haven't done it, but have heard of serious issues pertaining to zoning and building codes.
Make sure the property you buy is not covered by any of them.
This is the biggest challenge.

Many states, like Colorado, have some laws in place to block this exact thing. They will put in place codes that prohibit building a house without electric, ban septic systems and other things to make properties grow into little grid cities.

A major pita. I have seen some of these laws circumvented in Colorado, by listing the house as mobile. Registering it, adding a license plate, covering the wheels with a skirt after in place, but leaving it mobile by legal definition.

Property taxes will be due on any permanent dwelling from the assessed value of the house and the lands x whatever the tax millage rate is and most municipalities etc will require water and electric hookup. Most places out in the country I have seen will allow septic systems, but they will require perk testing of the soil, for absorption rates, tested by soil engineer prior to issuance of a septic permit.

Some places have awesome homestead exemptions for your property taxes.

Another septic issue would be no septic systems are allowed within x distance from a water source, so riverside builds need to keep this in mind.

I am not sure of anywhere in the us that this isn't the case.

I would dig into codes and regs in the area before dropping any cash, or you may only be able to drop a trailer there.

I just built two contemporary cabins in Iowa, not long ago. Neither were cheap, both where small.
One was set back 1700 ft from the road. After getting water and elect back with a gravel driveway, it was about $50k to get to the site before pouring the basement. We barely passed the perk test because of the clay content in the soil and river view.

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Check out permies.com

There's a bunch of legit off-grind people there who talk about all kinds of stuff - you may see something on there you hadn't thought of or maybe a better solution to something you have.

As for advice: I have only dreams. lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join