It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Obama's "Partners" In Yemen Overthrown As Presidential Palace Falls To Local Militiamen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:09 PM
So, it looks like we have another Western Friendly Regime just go down in Flames Today. I guess we just didn't give them enough Air and Drone Support? When are we going to get serious about All of This Load of Bull Poop going on over there and maybe hand out A Little Righteous A** Whoopin where it belongs!

I'm just so sick and tired of all of this going on constantly, we never seem to get fully out of these Bedlam Situations that now seem to be Never Ending.

Anyway My ATS Peers, Can we count this in as another of The Long Line of Failed States that we have a a hand in creating, or is this just The Normal Tribal BS that seems more like Sport in That Part of The World. IDK, It just seems to me we should either really do something to help things out or just Bring Everyone Back Home Here!

So, Watcha Thinx Guys and Girls? Anything you want to add to this Messy Subject is More Than Welcome and As Always, Peace To Y'All here at ATS

It seems like an eternity ago when Obama delivered the following extensively choreographed "Statement by the President on ISIL", in which he praised US anti-terrorist tactics, giving Yemen and its "partners" as an example of "successful" US foreign intervention. To wit:

Now, it will take time to eradicate a cancer like ISIL. And any time we take military action, there are risks involved –- especially to the servicemen and women who carry out these missions. But I want the American people to understand how this effort will be different from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It will not involve American combat troops fighting on foreign soil. This counterterrorism campaign will be waged through a steady, relentless effort to take out ISIL wherever they exist, using our air power and our support for partner forces on the ground. This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years. And it is consistent with the approach I outlined earlier this year: to use force against anyone who threatens America’s core interests, but to mobilize partners wherever possible to address broader challenges to international order.
He may want to scrub that statement because just 4 months after reading that from the Teleprompter, America's "partners on the Yemen front lines" have officially fled quietly into that good night, abandoning the control of the nation to local Shiite militiamen.

From Reuters:

Houthi fighters entered Yemen's presidential palace after a brief clash with the compound's security guards, witnesses and security sources told Reuters, a day after some of the worst battles in the capital in years. Guards at the presidential palace housing the main office of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi said they handed over the compound to Houthi fighters after a brief clash. Witnesses said there was a brief clash between a Houthi force and palace guards.

Witnesses also said they saw the Houthis seize armoured vehicles that had been guarding the entrances to the palace. The Houthis on Monday fought artillery battles with the army near the presidential palace, in some of the most intense fighting in Sanaa in years, and surrounded the prime minister's residence.
The WSJ adds that there is no information on the current whereabouts of the Yemen president:

The whereabouts of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi were unknown. The number of casualties was also unknown.

The Houthis are demanding a greater say in the government and in the drafting of Yemen’s new constitution. They oppose Mr. Hadi’s recommendation that the constitution stipulate the division of Yemen into six federal states.
And with oil-prices plunging once again, which means social instability in the middle east is about to explode making the Arab spring of 2011 seem like child's play by comparison, things around the globe are about to take a dramatic turn for the worse.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:22 PM
a reply to: arjunanda

Yes, Obama is re-writing his State of the Union speech to un-check Yemen as a success.

Two Navy ships in route to rescue Americans.
edit on 20-1-2015 by Granite because: sp

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:27 PM
I hope they have an edit function on The Teleprompter so if anyone else falls during the speech, they can just delete them before he says anything about them??? LOL. Good Reply
Arjunanda a reply to: Granite

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:35 PM

It seems these Houthi's are the good guys, unrelated to any radical Islam:

The Houthis, who adhere to a branch of Shia Islam known as Zaidism, have staged periodic uprisings since 2004 in an effort to win greater autonomy for their northern heartland of Saada province.

They consolidated their control over Saada during the 2011 uprising that forced long-time President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down.

Since July the rebels have inflicted defeats on tribal and militia groups backed by the leading Sunni Islamist party, Islah, and battled jihadist militants from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which has vowed to defend the country's Sunni community.

Opponents allege that the rebels ultimately hope to reinstall the Zaidi imamate, which ruled North Yemen for almost 1,000 years until 1962.

Yemen is divided between the self-styled “normative” sort of Muslim – i.e. radicalising Sunnis – and a faction of the other sort who are usually first to die when the former sort take charge. Yemen’s minority Muslims, as far as I can tell, are a remnant from the early days of Shi’ism: the Jarudiyya sect of Zaydis….
Zaydi law shares with the Hanafi branch of Sunnism a high respect for al-Baqir and adherence to the legal precepts of Kufa as of the late Umayyad era. Also, their support for rebellion, if domesticated, would allow for a more democratic form of politics than is traditional to more monarchical forms of Shi’ism such as, e.g., the ‘Abbasids (if you count them) and Fatimids.

The Zaydis ended up in Yemen and there ran an Imamate, a sort of caliphate, until a revolution upended their rule in the 1960s. Apparently the Zaydis are now considered “un-Islamic” and slated for destruction.

This would be a shame for those who prefer their Islam pluralistic. It would be tragic for historians; because the Zaydis probably have an extensive and ancient literature, mostly independent of other Shi’a and Sunni movements, and I doubt it’s all been published yet.

And a post that appears on that same site:

11/2/2005 @ 6:59 am

to those who would like to know about Zaidism in Yemen; here goes:

I am Zaidi living in one of the most Zaidi Regions in Yemen. This said, trust me the info I give here about Ziadism is true and up-to-date:

A good many (English) writers think that Zaidis in Yemen consititute a minority. This is not the case; they constitute between 40% and 45% of the population. Most of the northern provinces are predominantly Zaidis. These include Sana’a, Dhamar, Ma’rib, Al-Jawf, Amran, and parts of Ibb, Al-Mahweet and Hajjah.

Ever since the eradication fo the Immate, Zaidism has been fought. Guess who has been the ememy of Zaidism all these years? Wahabism has! with their money, they have been doing everything they can to deface and wipe out Zaidism. Despite this, Zaidism is still deeply-rooted in the souls of most Zaidis. What happened during the past year – in Saada – has caused most Zaidis to become more Zaidi than the were.

Feel free to ask an questions, I will be visiting this Blog every now an then.

Yemeni Zaidi

edit on 20-1-2015 by LightAssassin because: reformatted because Links given in wrong order

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:38 PM

Seven years of teleprompters practice will tested tonight...and his deodorant.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:38 PM
Now let's not get our Western-backed regime changes crossed now. Is the current Yemeni government the western one, or is the current coup a western-backed CIA move?

Let the conspiratorial debates commence!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:44 PM
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The answer will be if the CIA escapes just prior to American women and children board Navy ships.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:46 PM
I think we need to step back and let them spend their money and their lives to sort out their problems.
We can still buy oil from them without getting involved in their internal disputes.
When you buy gas at the local station do you get involved in the owners family problems or business problems? I don`t I`m just there to buy his gas.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:48 PM
Thanks for the insight, Light Assassin. Very hard to tell good guys from bad guys--seems that all Obama's partners are really, really bad guys, like the Moslem Brotherhood, ISIS (weren't they are pals in Syria before they started doing our dirty work in Iraq?)....and the recently overthrown Yemenite govt.

These days, anybody Obama supports is probably a nasty regime/organization. By the way, I used to be a democrat since 1972. Independent now--no more democrats for me after Obama.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:54 PM
a reply to: Zoyd23

Obama is aligned 99% with Sunni Muslims and these Houthis are Shiites...but I doubt Americans have to fear in this case other than CIA personnel might be the first to be rescued.

edit on 20-1-2015 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:05 PM

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Now let's not get our Western-backed regime changes crossed now. Is the current Yemeni government the western one, or is the current coup a western-backed CIA move?

Let the conspiratorial debates commence!

The only conspiracy is one of western main stream silence. You can read some though, about US meddling in Yemen…

12 years of drone strikes in Yemen

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:26 PM
And then with all of these fine ingredients in the conspiracy soup, may I add just a pinch of

I don't know but Yemen sure does seem to be coming up alot lately

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:31 PM
With the 5 from Yemen that were released from from get- mo a few days ago gives them some wigle room to rejoin AQAP. Nice, wash reance repeat.......

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:48 PM
Considering Saudi Arabia went up against the Houthis back in 2009, I dont think its a CIA op. usually their ops are aimed at helping the house of Saud, not antagonizing it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:53 PM
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

It really is getting hard to keep all this crap straight.

I can't tell who I want couping who anymore!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:53 PM
From Yemen you could have a go at interrupting the flow of traffic in the Red Sea. All of the Suez Canal traffic has to pass a relatively narrow point overlooked by Yemen. The shipping channel does not look all that wide.

It seems to be fairly constant. The US puts in a puppet regime and the people tear it apart. This is just a different form of voting. No one in the middle east wants to live under a puppet regime of the US.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:55 PM
Let the Middle East work out their own issues. We have no business there.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:54 AM

originally posted by: Tardacus
I think we need to step back and let them spend their money and their lives to sort out their problems.
We can still buy oil from them without getting involved in their internal disputes.
When you buy gas at the local station do you get involved in the owners family problems or business problems? I don`t I`m just there to buy his gas.

You don''t get it, we don''t want to do business with them, we want to take control of their business and make a profit.
To do this we need to get involved with their affairs, government and local aspects. They don't like it when we interfere - add some weapons and some CIA initiative and it becomes much clearer.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:46 AM
OK Domo1, Now there's this this morning, Doesn't seem to be getting any better does it? :

Yemen's Rebels Hold US-Backed President "Captive" In His House. Seize Country's Largest Ballistic Missile Base

As reported yesterday, Yemen became the latest foreign policy "success" story of the US after the local minority of Iran-friendly Shi'ite Houthi militiamen stormed, and captured, the presidential palane. At the same the whereabouts of Yemen's US-backed president Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi were unknown. Moments ago we learned about his current location: according to AP, "two Yemeni presidential advisers say the Shiite rebels who are on a power grab campaign in the capital, Sanaa, are holding the president "captive" at his home, a day after seizing the presidential palace."

More from AP: "The advisers say President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi "cannot leave his house" after the Houthi rebels removed his guards and deployed their own fighters at the premises on Wednesday.

One of the advisers says the situation in Yemen has reached the "point of no return," that the military is in shambles while the country's security apparatus has been "crippled" after the Houthis' blitz.

The two advisers spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to talk to media.
As a reminder, this is what the president claimed in September regarding the state of US intervention in Yemen: "the strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years."

Meanwhile, this is what "successful" US strategy in Yemen has led to:

Yemen's Shiite rebels pressed ahead on Wednesday with their power grab in the capital, Sanaa, capturing a military base housing ballistic missiles that overlooks the city and posting guards outside the president's home, a day after raiding the presidential palace.

The Houthi rebels, who are trying to carve a greater share of power for their group, also issued fresh demands Wednesday, asking for the post of vice president and several key government offices.

The developments further erode the standing of U.S.-backed President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, who was unharmed during the shelling of his neighborhood Tuesday and remained inside his house. The embattled Hadi appears to have run out of options amid the Houthis' blitz, which has raised uncertainty over who is in control in Yemen and also concerns that al-Qaida's Yemen branch could profit from the power vacuum.

Early Wednesday, the Houthis seized the country's largest missile base on a hilltop above Sanaa, consolidating their grip over the city, which they seized in September after spreading out from their strongholds in the north.
And for those who care, here is the Houthis' side of the story: according to Reuters, "Yemen's minority Shi'ite Houthi fighters took up guard at President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's home on Wednesday but said they had not toppled him, after two days of fighting which left little doubt that the enfeebled leader was now at their mercy.

The Houthis, friendly to Iran, swept into the capital four months ago and have emerged as the dominant force in the country. For now at least they appear to have decided to stop short of overthrowing Hadi, possibly preferring to exert control over a weakened leader rather than take on the burden of power.

Their defeat of the presidential guards in gunbattles and artillery duels in recent days adds to disarray in a country where the United States is also carrying out drone strikes against one of the most powerful branches of al Qaeda.

After clashes at the president's office and home on Tuesday, the Houthis' leader threatened in a speech overnight to take further "measures" unless Hadi bows to his demand for constitutional changes that would increase Houthi power. By early morning on Wednesday, Houthi fighters, accompanied by an armored vehicle, had replaced the guards at the president's residence. Presidential guard sentry posts were initially empty, however a few guards later appeared and were permitted to take up positions.

"President Hadi is still in his home. There is no problem, he can leave," Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, a member of the Houthi politburo, told Reuters.
Maybe, but not without bullet holes in his back?

Finally, for those who are new to this latest conflict hotspot, here is the background:

Yemeni military sources said the Houthis also seized the military aviation college located close to Hadi's home, and the main missile base in Sanaa, without a fight. In the south of the country, Hadi's home region, local officials denounced what they called a coup against him and shut the air and sea ports of the south's main city, Aden.

Yemen, an impoverished nation of 25 million, has been plagued by Islamist insurgency, separatist conflict, sectarian strife and economic crisis for years. An "Arab Spring" popular uprising in 2011 led to the downfall of long-ruling President Ali Abdullah Saleh, bringing more chaos.

The Houthis, rebels from the north drawn from a large Shi'ite minority that ruled a 1,000-year kingdom in Yemen until 1962, stormed into the capital in September but had mostly held back from directly challenging Hadi until last week, when they detained his chief of staff.

They accuse the president of seeking to bypass a power-sharing deal signed when they seized Sanaa in September, and say they are also working to protect state institutions from corrupt civil servants and officers trying to plunder state property.

Houthi fighters battled guards at Hadi's home and entered the presidential palace on Tuesday. In his televised speech that followed, the group's leader Abdel-Malek al-Houthi warned Hadi that he had to implement the power-sharing deal.

"We ... will not hesitate to impose any necessary measures to implement the peace and partnership agreement," said Abdel-Malek, whose Shi'ite Muslim group is widely seen as an ally of Iran in its regional struggle for influence with Saudi Arabia.

"All the options are open and without exception and the ceiling is very, very high. And this is why, I here advise the president ... Implement this deal. It is for your benefit and for the benefit of your people," he said on live television.

The accord gives the Shi'ite Muslim group, which takes its name from the family of its leader, a role in all military and civil state bodies. The Houthis also demand changes to the divisions of regional power in a draft constitution. Their decision to stop short of toppling Hadi, an ally of the West and supporter of U.S. drone strikes, may be intended to keep regional Sunni Muslim states and the United States from rallying against them.

A government source told Reuters: “They know that if they bring about the downfall of the president, they won’t be able to rule the country, because Western and neighboring countries will gang on up on them, as well as other provinces that are not under their control.”

Abdel-Malek's speech left little doubt however that his movement was now in effective control of the country. Al Masdar newspaper referred to him as "the president's president".
And with yet another international US "success story" literally up in flames, next steps include the US abandoning yet another embassy on foreign soil having fully alienated the locals, much to the delight of Dianne Feinstein." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.z...
a reply to: Domo1

edit on 21-1-2015 by arjunanda because: Added Source

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Granite, but Iran is almost 90% Shiite...and after listening to his SOTU address, I'd say he's pretty close to Shiites, as well.

Although I don't think Americans have to worry about this today (aside from our in-country CIA), our alignment with terrorists and against free states is more than troublesome.

Again, seems like Obama is anti-freedom, anti-American and above all, dishonest.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Zoyd23 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2015 by Zoyd23 because: mispelled word

new topics

<<   2 >>