It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strangest cases of déjà vu ever recorded in medical history .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
apologies, my "insert content" button isn't working.

A student was forced to drop out of university after a bizarre case of chronic déjà vu left him unable to lead a normal life.

The 23-year-old even stopped watching TV, listening to the radio, or reading newspapers or magazines because he believed he had seen it all before.

He told doctors that he was "trapped in a time loop" and said he felt as if he was reliving the past moment by moment.

Details of the case have been revealed in a report published by the Journal of Medical Case Reports.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

It is thought that panic attacks may have triggered the phenomenon. The condition may also have been exacerbated by L S D.

Bunk? Interesting story none the less...
edit on 20-1-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/20/2015 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit-Fixed External content tags.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
A glitch in the matrix ofcourse

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Consider for one moment that time is infinite and matter is finite. The combination of matter that makes up this person has come together in the past and will happen again in the future. His molecules resonate better than ours for some reason. Most of us have experienced deja vu. Deja vu is the resonance of matter that has combined in the past.

that or he took the red and blue pill together

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
that or he took the red and blue pill together

I've never thought about taking both of them together.. That's a mind blower..

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Wild.

I once had déjà vu for a period of 10 minutes, and that alone was enough of a mind smasher lol. Or try having déjà vu, about having déjà vu, about having déjà vu. I also experienced that. Completely sober minded each time. Anyone else? Or am I The One? Lol.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: s1ngular1ty
Wild.

I once had déjà vu for a period of 10 minutes, and that alone was enough of a mind smasher lol. Or try having déjà vu, about having déjà vu, about having déjà vu. I also experienced that. Completely sober minded each time. Anyone else? Or am I The One? Lol.

Oh yes, I've had deja vu about having deja vu before. "I've done this before...Whoa, and thought that before, too!" It's a mindbleep of epic proportions.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

I get strange dejavu, especaially lately and I don't know how or what is going on.. It's like everything already happened in the future that's the past always now.. Something like that. Not only have I had dejavu videos that can last minutes long (long enough for me to start telling other people what happens next), but especially lately I get repeat dejavu..

It's almost like the same things keep happening but for everyone else it's like it's the first time it happened. Sometimes other people if they are really connected with me will also remember the other version of what already happened.. Shared dejavu... Cause these are things that only happen once (I mean they are the same event).. But for the last 3 days I've done the exact same thing, read the same thread on ATS and saw the same news stories..

I havn't had it this bad in a while. It used to happen when I would meditate a lot, and felt more "spiritual."

I just can't figure out how things keep being the same, or what I am remembering this all from.

OR maybe I'm jumping into slight variations of other universes..

That line from the Matrix besides dejavu being a glitch in the matrix is when Neo is talking to the Oracle and
Neo says: "How did you know I was going to break the vase."
Oracle: "what will really cook your noodle is had I not warned you would you still have broken it?"
"You've already made your choices Neo, now you have to understand them."

Something to that effect. Saying that life is sort of like a movie.. It's already written now we act it out.
All this while above Neo's head it says "Know Thyself" in latin..
OF course Neo does make new choices, changing the matrix.. Thus knowing himself, and becoming enlightened.

I'm not so much into the weird side of things anymore.. I just want to be left alone.

The worst or weirdest part of the multiple dejavus, is that they stack sometimes.. So in the second version, you'll think oh this is dejavu, but you will remember that's what you thought last time, and then you're like F, damn I said F last time, ahh stop nooooo.... How long does this last??? Stop doing the same things everybody.. You look down, ahh damnit, that was the same...

hahaha...

There was an interesting version of this idea in some harry potter movie. Forgive me cause I'm not a fan, but it has time travel and they go back to save themselves I think, but it all happens just like it did the first time, which already happened with them saving themselves.. Something like this..

The only thing I can think is that Consciousness is above time, in a dimensional hierarchy, even though the ego is not. Sometimes you just connect all the way.
edit on 20-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I would like to borrow this kid for a day while I purchase a lottery ticket.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that deja-vu is likely the result of chemical actions within the brain, as opposed to someone actually remembering something they've already lived. You get the feeling that you've been there or done something before, but all feelings are the result of actions within the body and brain. I'm sure that most scientists would agree with my view, but nothing has really been proven in this regard. Even if we could pinpoint and measure what is going on during deja-vu, this would not tell us whether a person truly was reliving something they experienced prior to the feeling. I mean people could experience the future during dreams. It is not impossible. It is just unlikely in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well, we need details. Did the student actually know the information contained in the articles? Are they trying to dope him up because he has the ability to link with someone who already read the article? Can't have people believing we can tap into others minds now can we. He might get the ability to know what a politician is thinking.

Well, you do not need special abilities to know how politicians think I suppose, scratch that theory.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
An X-man, for sure.

On a more serious note (B-flat), I used to have deja-vu experiences, but not in fifteen years or more. Is it a phenomena of younger people more than middle-aged or older folk? Mine were very strong, and seemed real, so this guy probably has a brain glitch where he's having that experience all the time. That wouldn't be fun, but you'd think after awhile he could learn to drive it, and then still be able to read books or enjoy films. An interesting case though, never thought of a continuous deja-vu before (and, as to the posters above, I too have never thought of someone taking the red pill and blue pill at the same time, and seeing that on screen would be enough of a reason to advocate the making of a fourth Matrix movie).

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

This is an interesting topic, thanks for starting it!

I find the Time Loop/Deja Vu story a little hard to accept. I'm more inclined to believe the Alternate Universe or Parallel Universe theory. (There was another thread on ATS a few months ago, about people who read about a celebrity's death. And then .... he/she was really alive - or died a few months after the first death notice. Parallel Universes would allow for the same events to occur, but in slightly different sequences.)

So this phenomenon is widely noticed, but it's nothing to get crazy about. Although this must be where people get the idea we're living in the Matrix. I don't think it's about living-in-a-Time-Loop, as much as jumping between parallel lives, all going forward into the Future with small differences.

I've read accounts of real Time Travelers in the Montauk experiments. One guy went ahead into the future about 45 years, then came back. He got trapped living the life he'd set out to live before he Time Traveled to the future. And even tho' little things were different (like different scores and outcomes in sports games) he couldn't move out of that pathway he'd set-in-stone when he'd traveled to the future. Once he reached that 45 year mark he'd traveled too, he was free to change his life, move, change careers, etc.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
"It's Deja vu all over again"- Yogi Berra

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: s1ngular1ty
Wild.

Definitely NOT the only one. I have so been there. How about dreaming about a situation, so vividly, that when it happens, you actually call people you do not know and have never met, by name, which of course freaks them out! Those are my favorite. It used to freak me out, but I've gotten so used to it now, I just treat it as if it's a usual occurrence. It happens at least 3 or 4 times a year. Minimum.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker

This is an interesting topic, thanks for starting it!

I find the Time Loop/Deja Vu story a little hard to accept. I'm more inclined to believe the Alternate Universe or Parallel Universe theory. (There was another thread on ATS a few months ago, about people who read about a celebrity's death. And then .... he/she was really alive - or died a few months after the first death notice. Parallel Universes would allow for the same events to occur, but in slightly different sequences.)

So this phenomenon is widely noticed, but it's nothing to get crazy about. Although this must be where people get the idea we're living in the Matrix. I don't think it's about living-in-a-Time-Loop, as much as jumping between parallel lives, all going forward into the Future with small differences.

I've read accounts of real Time Travelers in the Montauk experiments. One guy went ahead into the future about 45 years, then came back. He got trapped living the life he'd set out to live before he Time Traveled to the future. And even tho' little things were different (like different scores and outcomes in sports games) he couldn't move out of that pathway he'd set-in-stone when he'd traveled to the future. Once he reached that 45 year mark he'd traveled too, he was free to change his life, move, change careers, etc.

I never heard of the Montauk experiments. I've always been interested in Astral Projection (only did it once, very cool), and time travel. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go check this out and do more research on it!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Science's answer to What Is Deja Vu

If you've ever had that fleeting, mysterious sense that something new -- a city or person you’re seeing for the first time -- is somehow familiar, that you’ve been there or known them before, then you can count yourself among those who have experienced déjà vu. It’s typically a brief sensation, lasting no more than 10 to 30 seconds, but 96 percent of the population claims to have experienced at least one occurrence.

“Déjà vu, a French term meaning 'already seen,' is considered a disconnect or clash between objective unfamiliarity and a subject sense of familiarity,” said Claire Flaherty-Craig, a consulting and treating neuropsychologist at Hershey Medical Center. “It’s been most closely studied in epilepsy, where patients often experience it before a seizure. The brain regions for memory are in the temporal lobes, and there’s an area for monitoring memory accuracy in the middle frontal lobe. Those patients reporting déjà vu are temporal lobe seizure patients. The actual trigger for it in healthy individuals is not exactly known, but we do know those same regions of memory and memory monitoring are involved.”

The concept of déjà vu has been around since French philosopher and researcher Émile Boirac coined the term in 1876. Proponents of psychic phenomenon quickly latched onto it as evidence of past lives, while early psychiatrists and psychologists bandied about various theories to explain its occurrence: Sigmund Freud attributed it to repressed desires. Carl Jung suggested it arose from tapping the collective unconscious. Dozens of “causes” of déjà vu have been proposed over many decades, said Flaherty-Craig, but most fall by the wayside as researchers learn more about the human brain and cognitive processes.

Deja Who?

Déjà vu, from French, literally "already seen", is the phenomenon of having the strong sensation that an event or experience currently being experienced has been experienced in the past, regardless of whether it has actually happened. The psychologist Edward B. Titchener in his book A Textbook of Psychology (1928), explained déjà vu as caused by a person having a brief glimpse of an object or situation, before the brain has completed "constructing" a full conscious perception of the experience. Such a "partial perception" then results in a false sense of familiarity. Scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory, which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled". This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred) are uncertain or believed to be impossible.

As time passes, subjects may exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjà vu itself, but little or no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) which were the subject of the déjà vu experience itself (the events that were being "remembered"). This may result from an "overlap" between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory and those responsible for long-term memory, resulting in (memories of) recent events erroneously being perceived as being in the more distant past. One theory is the events are stored into memory before the conscious part of the brain even receives the information and processes it. However, this explanation has been criticized that the brain would not be able to store information without a sensory input first. Another theory suggests the brain may process sensory input (perhaps all sensory input) as a "memory-in-progress", and that therefore during the event itself one believes it to be a past memory. In a survey, Brown had concluded that approximately two-thirds of the population have had déjà vu experiences. Other studies confirm that déjà vu is a common experience in healthy individuals, with between 31% and 96% of individuals reporting it. Déjà vu experiences that are unusually prolonged or frequent, or in association with other symptoms such as hallucinations, may be an indicator of neurological or psychiatric illness.

Certain drugs increase the chances of déjà vu occurring in the user. Some pharmaceutical drugs, when taken together, have also been implicated in the cause of déjà vu. Taiminen and Jääskeläinen (2001) reported the case of an otherwise healthy male who started experiencing intense and recurrent sensations of déjà vu upon taking the drugs amantadine and phenylpropanolamine together to relieve flu symptoms. He found the experience so interesting that he completed the full course of his treatment and reported it to the psychologists to write up as a case study. Due to the dopaminergic action of the drugs and previous findings from electrode stimulation of the brain (e.g. Bancaud, Brunet-Bourgin, Chauvel, & Halgren, 1994), Taiminen and Jääskeläinen speculate that déjà vu occurs as a result of hyperdopaminergic action in the mesial temporal areas of the brain.

Related Conditions

Jamais vu (from French, meaning "never seen") is a term in psychology which is used to describe any familiar situation which is not recognized by the observer.

Often described as the opposite of déjà vu, jamais vu involves a sense of eeriness and the observer's impression of seeing the situation for the first time, despite rationally knowing that he or she has been in the situation before. Jamais vu is more commonly explained as when a person momentarily does not recognize a word, person, or place that they already know. Jamais vu is sometimes associated with certain types of aphasia, amnesia, and epilepsy.

Theoretically, as seen below, a jamais vu feeling in a sufferer of a delirious disorder or intoxication could result in a delirious explanation of it, such as in the Capgras delusion, in which the patient takes a person known by him or her for a false double or impostor. If the impostor is himself, the clinical setting would be the same as the one described as depersonalisation, hence jamais vus of oneself or of the very "reality of reality", are termed depersonalisation (or surreality) feelings.

Presque vu (from French, meaning "almost seen") is the sensation of being on the brink of an epiphany, such as when attempting to recall a word or name.

Déjà entendu, (literally "already heard") is the experience of feeling sure that one has already heard something, even though the exact details are uncertain or were perhaps imagined.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The last wickèd deja vu episode I had was back when I [my consciousness] slipped/swapped into this sad Berenstain parallel Universe from the happy Berenstein parallel universe. I am just now getting used to this existence... Maybe this guy needs to be fully quizzed on topics we take for granted and see if his consciousness is from somewhere else and just not fully integrating. For all we know MLK died in a bomb explosion where he is from. You never know what others take for granted or think is normal.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Volund because: spelling and clarification.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Crazy story for sure. I like many have experienced deja vu numerous time. For some reason it seems to have increased in the past 4 - 5 years. Just 2015 alone I can count of about 7 times already that I've experienced it. Just yesterday while I work I received a phone call from a consumer needing help with his application for insurance, mid way thru the call something clicked and I knew what the guy was going to say before he said it like I've already had the conversation with him before. Last week driving to a gig I had to DJ (I love Mardi Gras time in the south) I rolled up on a wreck and felt like I have seen this before somewhere. Over the years it's seems to me that I see these things in dreams while sleeping at night, then a few weeks or months later I feel like I'm living in my dream and the situation actually happens exactly like I dreamed it. Crazy but cool. I need to dream about winning the lotto. Lol.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
How often does a normal person experience déjà vu?
edit on 21-1-2015 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Thanks for your post. (Luv the "tasered kitty" as your avatar!)

Here are some past threads on ATS about Montauk and Time Travel:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
TIME TRAVEL, U.S. SECRET COVER-UP AND THE PEGASUS PROJECT

THE MONTAUK CHRONICLES

DENVER'S GIANT BLUE MUSTANG SIMILAR TO THE ONE IN THE MONTAUK PROJECT

REINCARNATION AND TIME TRAVEL

top topics

<<   2 >>

join