It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska 39yrs with legal marijuana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So many people seem to think that the legalization of cannabis aka marijuana will prove to be harmful further down the road, to this I say look to Alaska and you will see it has not destroyed our state where it has been legal since 1975!

Ravin v. State, 537 P.2d 494 (Alaska 1975), was a 1975 decision by the Alaska Supreme Court that held the Alaska Constitution's right to privacy protects an adult's ability to use and possess a small amount of marijuana in the home for personal use.[1] The Alaska Supreme Court thereby became the first—and only—state or federal court to announce a constitutional privacy right that protects some level of marijuana use and possession.[1]

source

While most folks think we (Alaska) just recently voted for legalization of cannabis aka marijuana, we actually voted for it to be sold legally by our state!

edit on 20-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: clarification

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Is it legal to grow or sell in Alaska, or just possess in your home?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

It's just possession, in certain amounts, for certain things. It in now way effects, recreational usage, or growing it for non medical or medical use.

Currently it would still be illegal to do either. Unless licensed by the state.

ETA: from your source:

Alaskan voters approved a ballot initiative recriminalizing marijuana possession in 1990, but in Noy v. State, the Alaska Court of Appeals held that ballot iniatives are subject to the same constitutional limitations as legislative enactments, and thus the portion of the amended statutes criminalizing possession of less than four ounces of marijuana in the home was unconstitutional.[3] In June 2006, the Alaska Legislature amended the law to prohibit the possession of more than one ounce of marijuana and to make possession of more than one ounce of marijuana a class A misdemeanor.[4] As of November 2009, Alaskan courts have not considered the constitutionality of this statute.

~Tenth
edit on 1/20/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

During those years could residents gather at local pubs or coffeehouses and legally smoke? That's the line I draw when I think of marijuana being legal, when someone can go down to a local shop and gather with friends and strangers, just as people who favor beer, wine, or vodka can legally do. Can they do so now, with the change in the law? Thanks for the thread.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Does that not mean it's still illegal in Alaska then?
I'm just trying to understand the situation.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Alaska' "right to privacy" clause is powerful indeed. I'd like to know what the good people of Alaska would think if they knew that their cell phones are being scooped up by Kingfisher technology to locate the whereabouts of not only suspected criminals, but also anyone in proximity to the alleged criminal? Due to how the Kingfisher works (identical to a Stingray device) it would violate the "expected privacy" of innocent people using their cellphones, thinking that their cell signals are going to legitimate carrier cell towers. This technology can also record cellular phone conversations and store them.

Stingray Devices: Who's Got Them?
edit on 20-1-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

It was not "legal" up until this year, and they made illegal in 82 I think, might be 1981.
The thing is, even though it was illegal in the state, due to Alaska's constitution and privacy laws,
you could have it in your own home,
and not be arrested unless you sold it.

Now, I think it is just legal,
as in you can have it out of your home and in your possession and not be worried about it being confiscated.

It was never really criminalized in the state.

At least this is how I understand it.

You could also grow 2 plants per person in the household before it became officially legal.
Anything more than two plants and it was considered grown for sale,
and that they would crack down when there was multiple plants.

Regardless, I can't wait to return to AK!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Does it cause cancer like tobacco does?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Please read this carefully:

Alaskan voters approved a ballot initiative recriminalizing marijuana possession in 1990, but in Noy v. State, the Alaska Court of Appeals held that ballot iniatives are subject to the same constitutional limitations as legislative enactments, and thus the portion of the amended statutes criminalizing possession of less than four ounces of marijuana in the home was unconstitutional.

Here is a more detailed page on the Noy vs. State and why the Ravin act was upheld.

edit on 20-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: added missing link

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It kills cancer tumors according to the governments own studies.

But my contention has nothing to do with whether a person uses it, it has to do with the resources and seeds of our planet, belonging to us, and the criminal laws that are not laws, they're unlawful. They're not common law and they amount to slavery. No one has the right to deprive anyone of the earth's seeds and bounty. And I'm not yet a partaker of this stuff, don't like altered states as my pineal works.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yea, and it makes you CRAZY and want to rape white women! I saw a movie about it. Something....madness I think.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Sales and public use were not legal and even after the recent passing of Alaska Marijuana Legalization, Ballot Measure 2 (2014) public use is still illegal and the state has the monopoly on sales to the general public.

edit on 20-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: oops code mistake

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: xuenchen

Yea, and it makes you CRAZY and want to rape white women! I saw a movie about it. Something....madness I think.

Take heed all you reprobates.....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

This NORML page shows in detail Alaska's laws before the passing of ballot measure 2 last year. Ballot measure 2 allows the state to sale marijuana and adds restrictions to the amount one can grow or posess, though after reading the noy decision those limits are not constitutional.

So up to 4 ounces and 25 plants inside a private residence are the law.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Wow u guys need to get caught up lol

I've know this stuff since hs

The big crazy part is the number of plants

Outdoors in a green house u can Harvest up to 7lbs per plant

indoors under lights that can drop to a little as 4 oz per

The gov is still stupid. ALL these laws make no sense

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

So igloos must be used as giant bongs up there?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I've always wanted to visit beautiful Alaska, gonna take me some warm clothes and smooth roles. Mind will be blown

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
North to Alaska,
They're goin' North, the rush is on.

Way up north, (North To Alaska.)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

Outdoors in a green house u can Harvest up to 7lbs per plant

Watchu smokin' Willis?!?!

Would that be wet, or dry weight?
Either way, I doubt it, unless the plant is a well matured mother plant used for clones.
Even still, 7 lbs?

Doubt it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

IMO, when you hear the term 'legal' in reference to Marijuana, i think it refers to whether its legal to SELL.

Since it is not legal to sell cannabis in Alaska, you point is moot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join