It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Paris to sue Fox News

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yet they don't sue MSNBC for reporting wrong info on who was killed and who was involved?

Sounds political to me...

There's a difference between getting a story wrong and deliberately lying. Putting information into a story on purpose and hoping people won't notice or call you on it isn't journalism, it's propaganda

Comparing the two and saying that they're the same thing is political

Please tell me your not that naïve?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong people I loath Faux News but I have just as much disdain for the other msm outlets that do the same thing as Faux lie,mislead, make up facts to suite there agendas push an agenda of fear or hate or racial or religious bias they all do it. Just faux was called out this time and im not gonna complain about that or if they call out the other news net works on there bullsnip ie Msnbc CNN Algazera RT all them need to stop with the bull and have some integrity and honor.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Yet they don't sue MSNBC for reporting wrong info on who was killed and who was involved?

Sounds political to me...

There's a difference between getting a story wrong and deliberately lying. Putting information into a story on purpose and hoping people won't notice or call you on it isn't journalism, it's propaganda

Comparing the two and saying that they're the same thing is political

Some people need to wake up.

IT IS ALL PROPAGANDA.
Here is CNN talking about no go zones 2 years ago.
They report what they are TOLD to.
Now CNN is ripping fox.
Do you REALLY think cnn producers forgot they ran that story??
It is ALL BS
But by all means, stay divided and angry about what THEY tell you. FFS

Don't you love the double standards.

It's okay for cnn to do it but when fox does it then watch out because the world is ending.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Fox needs to send camera crews to the places they say.
I say its real.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I agree with you whole heartily all the MSM does the same bull not just fox news its all of them and im sick and tired of it.
as are most the people that have posted on this thread its not just fox they just got called on there propaganda this time is all im saying

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Unfortunately, the problem lies in the political correctness. You are right, here. There are "no go zones" everywhere. For instance, unless you happen to be from the area and are easily recognizable to the locals, you don't walk down the street in Compton, California. Not if you want to come out without black and blue zones all over you. This is well known fact to almost everyone who lives in CA.

An uncomfortable truth, but a truth nonetheless. There are zones like this everywhere. Even in Paris.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TipTac

An uncomfortable truth, but a truth nonetheless. There are zones like this everywhere. Even in Paris.

I truly believe this is why the response from Paris is what it is.

Paris is embarrassed and is lashing out.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
Attn: Everybody cheering the State suing the press over reporting "false" information.

Are you that blinded by your own politics to think this is good?

Do you want France suing people who speculate that the entire operation was a false flag?

Stupid.

Sounds like something that would happen in Cuba or Russia.

This wouldn't be an issue had Fox not won their previous case. News agencies should have an obligation to report the news, and source their material so that they are relatively factual. Fox does not do that, and that is what has caused this current issue. They've made the case they're an entertainment company, not a news company. As such I don't see them having the benefit of freedom of the press, and by putting out incorrect information while claiming to their viewers that they're a news agency they create a false level of confidence in their network. One way or another this needs to be addressed. Fox either needs to go back to reporting the news, and having those associated standards attached. Or they should not be labeled a news organization, and every show needs a disclaimer that their programs are works of fiction.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I totally agree with what you just said they are not a news organization anymore. They are an entertainment station now not news.

I feel there needs to be a disclaimer or they need to drop the word news and add entertainment to their name. if they want to continue broadcasting lies propaganda slander and half truths
edit on 22-1-2015 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Please tell me your not that naïve?

You want to talk about naivete?

Please tell me that you're not so desperate to avoid calling things what they are that you would let FOX off the hook with the tired old argument that they all do it

If you can't be bothered to actually use your powers of discernment, and decide for yourself where things place on a scale of good to bad - then there really is no hope of us even having an intelligent discussion

Everything can be summarily reduced to: well - it's all the same...I'm not going to be dumb enough to fall for any of it

It isn't all the same

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
they just talkt about Them on radio world service.
called they by another name.
and did not say no go zones.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

So you are that Naïve then... ok

Why are they going after Foxnews but not CNN?

Finally Mayor Anne Hidalgo has absolutely no clue about how US or French law works. Here is a hint -

In both legal systems, in order to to bring a case like the one the Mayor wants, requires an individual be named. In both legal systems a municipality is not an "individual". Secondly laws in both countries have media protection laws.

3rd Fox News has apologized and then some across their entire network programs / time slots. Something being ignored - why?

So we are faced with the following possibilities:

* - The Mayor of Paris is a moron who does not know the law and the lawyers who work for the city don't know the law either.

OR

* - This is nothing more than political drama in an effort for the Mayor of Paris to shift the conversation, and blame, to Foxnews.

Whether she likes it or not this incident occurred in a city she is in charge of. A failure of intelligence, among other failures, allowed the incident to occur.

But by all means, sue Fox News and hope the conversation, and focus, will shift. Fox News viewership in France is negligible as very few outlets carry their programming.

Stop being Naïve and look at the entire picture.

edit on 22-1-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Why are they going after Foxnews but not CNN?

It's obvious to me, but then... Why don't you explain it to me - if you can :-)

In both legal systems a municipality is not an "individual". Secondly laws in both countries have media protection laws.

I'm going to bet that the French, and their lawyers know at least as much about French law as you do. FOX news is not a municipality - do you know what the word means? FOX news is owned by 21st Century Fox - a corporation. Here in the USA corporations are now people. Not that they need to be to be sued, but it will be interesting to see how this might afffect things in the future

What are these media protection laws? Specifically?

This is nothing more than political drama in an effort for the Mayor of Paris to shift the conversation, and blame, to Foxnews.

Shift the conversation away from what? Why blame FOX news if CNN (and others) are just as bad?

Fox News viewership in France is negligible as very few outlets carry their programming.

Lucky France. Are you actually defending FOX?

Stop being Naïve and look at the entire picture.

Wise words

:-)

edit on 1/22/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

You either did not read my post or you did not understand it.

Foxnews is a media outlet. The Mayor of France is wanting to sue Foxnews over harming the reputation of Paris as a city. French and US law require a person to be affected. A municipality has no legal standing as a "person".

Translation - the lawsuit wont advance because a municipality has no standing under French or US law.

You apparently have no clue about the CNN issue then. CNN made the exact same claims Foxnews did.

These are the facts.. Take some time to research and then re-read what you posted to see how far off base you are.

This is nothing more than the Mayor trying to shift blame and the conversation to something, anything, besides what happened.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
How does one sue someone from another country? I mean...what courts oversee the trial...who enforces the sentence..?
edit on 22-1-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
How does one sue someone from another country? I mean...what courts oversee the trial...who enforces the sentence..?

The "injured" party is in France so that is one possibility.
Fox News HQ is based in New York so there is the other possibility.

However neither court is going to act so I don't see the point.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

You either did not read my post or you did not understand it.

You haven't read any of my other posts in this thread - if you had we wouldn't even be having this conversation :-)

You apparently have no clue about the CNN issue then. CNN made the exact same claims Foxnews did.

You obviously have no intention of answering my question(s):

Why are they going after FOX if CNN did the exact same thing? Are you defending what FOX said - even if that were true?

You seem to think that France is deflecting - so, I'm asking a simple question. If they are deflecting - why? Are you saying there are no-go zones in Paris? Was FOX right?

Why allude? Why not just come out and say what you're trying to say?

If I'm naive - educate me

edit on 1/23/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

If I'm naive - educate me

I tried several times and you are just not understanding what's being stated. The closest you came was your comment about Fox News and not going after CNN.

The reason is not criminal - its political.

The Mayors entire position in all of this is purely political. She is trying to change the talking points from what happened to Fox News and its claims (which they corrected numerous times).

Its like the government of Iran under Ahmadinejad. Whenever the people became upset with what he was doing he blamed an external force to shift focus.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what Fox News reported - its an excuse.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Thank you - and finally - that was a real reply

But still, Xcathadra - FOX lied

It doesn't matter that other news agencies also said a similar thing. FOX was spectacularly and maliciously wrong. They apologized, and I know that seems like good enough is good enough to you - but the fact that they apologized is pretty much an admission of guilt. In fact - they apologized so fast, and so profusely that it seems the very idea of a litigation scared the bejesus out of them. Why do you think that is?

What this thread is about is journalism. Politics is a part of this story - and this is exactly (exactly) the point

You're saying that the fact that FOX news was dishonest is not important. You won't say what is. What are you afraid of? What is the mayor trying to hide? I could say what you won't say - but I want to hear you say it

Frankly - we all know this thing is never going to happen the way (some of us at least) would like. It's a joke - and most of Paris is having a pretty good laugh at the expense of FOX

That doesn't take away from the fact that if you can't admit that FOX was wrong to say what they said, it's because admitting that would make what you want to say unimportant

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I recall FOX apologizing for saying Birmingham in the UK was a 'Muslim city' and non-Muslim's 'just don't go there'. I do not recall them apologizing for their Parisian faux-pas, but then I wasn't following it too closely because the lies and/or mistakes of the mass media outlets are largely irrelevant to me. I don't believe 99% of what they spew out to begin with, unless I can verify what they say myself.

However, be it a mistake or be it intentional, the bar has to be set somewhere, and someone needs to demonstrate to them that they can't go around doing this kind of thing, and that applies to all the media outlets. If they publish or broadcast a story, they need to make sure its FACTUAL and ACCURATE.

I didn't even know (or care, really) that CNN said a similar thing, because as I say, they are irrelevant to me. However if you're going to call them out, and set the bar, you need to start somewhere. Why FOX over CNN? I don't know, maybe they just drew a short straw. Either way, the mass media does need a good slapping, and it has to start somewhere.

I personally think that regardless what the mayors real motives are, which are also irrelevant to me, that Fox or CNN or any other media outlet does need prosecuting for their lies and/or mistakes, purely to demonstrate that they cannot go around passing off inaccurate information as factual. They are a large enough organization to have done proper research first, and thus avoid making their 'mistakes' in the first place.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join