It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dual Citizenship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Does anyone here have dual citizenship?

With what countries?

What are the pros and cons?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

No-one can serve two masters equally. There will come time when the two are not in agreement and one needs to declare their alliance to either the one or the other.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pirvonen

No-one can serve two masters equally. There will come time when the two are not in agreement and one needs to declare their alliance to either the one or the other.

But seriously, are there benefits to having more than one citizenship?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yes, you can easily live and work in either country.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I looked at it a while back, almost did a fishing outpost type invest in Costa Rica... Like someone else said, you can travel to a from the country, without all the visa hassles like maximum legal stay times. A lot of people will travel there and cross the border before the time is up and re enter to reset visa stay.

I think the major disadvantage is tax liability to both countries. Meaning double taxation on your earned income from both countries. There are some right offs allowed in the US though. I would study up on the tax codes from both countries before I made a decision.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hold dual Japanese / u.s ...
Though prefer my japanese citizenship less hassle and overall safer to use my japanese passport when travel ... also far less embaressment travelling on japanese passport ...

Beyond that walked away from the cesspool of "civilisation" long ago .. unfortuneatly need passport when travel to humour the primitives who are still hung up on outdated concepts of borders .. nations.. countries ...

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I have dual citizenship- american/ french.

Pros-..um, there are many jobs that I can have because I have french nationality, in the public sector.
I can have a french drivers license.

I can move back to the US one day if I want.
(which I won't because my husband does not american nationality, and despite what movies portray, getting it (even after more than twenty years being married and having three kids with an american) is extremely difficult, long and expensive.

I have the right to vote in elections in both countries (though I choose not to vote in american elections, I don't feel I should have that right if I won't be living under the consequences).

But the con is that I will now have to pay taxes to the US, perhaps even back taxes, even though I pay heavy taxes already in the country I live in, and have no savings.
I get nothing in return for american taxes, in terms of services, protection or anything else.
In France I get medical coverage, as well as many services and protection.

I wanted to rid myself of american nationality, but they made it so that it costs several thousands of dollars to do, and they can still tax you for twenty years anyway.

edit on 21-1-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Thank you.

That was very informative.

I thought another pro might be, is being able to own property in another country.

I also thought about education and costs of sending my kids to university abroad.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner

Thank you.

I thought another pro might be, is being able to own property in another country.

I also thought about education and costs of sending my kids to university abroad.

We are thinking about buying some property in the US, to use when we retire, and are just starting to look into it.
I am not sure yet if it is worth the amount we'd have to pay in taxes- that depends upon the state.

My kids all went to university here in France, because the tuition for university in America is really, really high- where it is almost free here. But that is something to consider. My daughter was able to go to California and spend a year in high school there, with no problems whatsoever, because she has american nationality. It makes things somewhat simpler.

What nationality are you considering?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Retire in the USA? Are you crazy?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

Retire in the USA? Are you crazy?

Well, we spent some vacation time in Florida, and have some friends there, and kinda liked the idea of having a place to go when the weather is like today

Having some alternatives to choose from is nice...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I've been looking into dual citizenship....It's Argentina for me.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

For nice climate .. amenities .. better medical facilities .. money goes further .. fantastic variety of food from all over .. things to do .. for after your retired take look at singapore and malaysia .. get alot europeans in both that are retired ..

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Unless you have vital skills .. usefull degree.. money... clean criminal record most countries wont even consider you for citizenship .. its not as easy as it sounds and can take years to get a second citizenship ..

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

originally posted by: BerenstEiner

Thank you.

What nationality are you considering?

Spanish citzenship. There are a few reasons, mostly symbolic. It wouldnt be a long process, from what i understand, i will be "grandfathered" in.

top topics

join