It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Leak of Secret U.S. Stealth Spy Satellite Program to Be Investigated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The Justice Department is set to investigate the leak about details involving a top secret program that intended to build stealth spy satellites. The source for the story indicated that one of the U.S. intelligence agencies had refereed the matter. The National Reconnaissance Office, the agency which usually build the satellites, declined to comment. The leak came during a speech in which Sen. John Rockefeller railed against wasteful programs. While not referring to it directly but rather obliquely, he drew attention to the program.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Justice Department has been asked to investigate the leak of details of a secret spy program which media reports say would involve spending $9.5 billion to build stealth spy satellites, government sources said on Tuesday.

The sources said a U.S. intelligence agency had referred the issue to the department, but did not identify the agency. The National Reconnaissance Office, which builds spy satellites, declined to comment.

The Washington Post said on Saturday the classified program was for a new generation of spy satellites designed to orbit undetected. It cited U.S. officials as saying its projected cost had almost doubled to nearly $9.5 billion from $5 billion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

John Rockefeller should be taken to task for his casual reference to a classified program. Stealth satellites would allow for better intel. Most satellites can be tracked and their orbits are well known. This allows people to effectively avoid being detected when a satellite is overhead. Im not exactly sure how they could eliminate the heat signature, but Im sure that by being stealthy they also help them from being attacked. China with its aggressive space program, fueled by our trade deficit, may seek just such and anti satellite capacity in the future. Rockefeller should be booted out!

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Great update FredT!

This is a link to an ATS thread that has been discussing this leak for over a week, now. There are some interesting alternative views as to what this program entails here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think Rockerfeller was justified in revealing the top secret program
being that we have 150,000 men and women on the ground in Iraq
we should be spending this money on Body and vehicle Armor for there
protection. As far as satellites go we have plenty of them as on top of
the satellites deployed specifically for spying it is know that there are
other satellites that do these tasks as a secondary function
AMSAT, NOAA both of these have incredible imaging capabilities. Think about this once you can read the surgeon
generals warning on a pack of cigarettes how much more do you need
this type of spending is what has caused the budget trouble we have today
it is frivilous and there is no excuse for it..

geo

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
In the related thread, linked to above, onlyinmydreams said:

What I find MOST interesting about this whole (developing) controversy is that charges may be brought up against the four democratic senators who spilled the beans on this system by not only dropping hints about what it was... but also by drawing attention to it.

Would this not create a Constitutional crisis, i.e., the Administrative branch pursuing members of the Legislative Branch based on their objections to a program for budgetary wastefulness? Without legislative oversight, the Administration could waste our money for the most frivolous, wasteful, and harmful programs. This country needs all the oversight of administrative abuses that it can muster. Witness the Iraq war for what happens when the legislative branch abdicates its functions to the administration.

[edit on 15-12-2004 by dubiousone]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I swear, the typos that appear in my preceding post were not there when I pressed the "Post Reply" button. At least I did not notice them. I reread the post three times before sending it. BTW, is there a spell-check function on this site that can be used before sending a post? If so, how does one use it?

I went back and edited the typos, so you will not see them after I made the corrections. My question remains: Is there a spell-check function?

[edit on 15-12-2004 by dubiousone]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Geocom....
In NO uncertain terms was Mr. Rockefeller justified in revealing what he mentioned, period. This man is a senior Democrat and member of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Such a committee handles all national security intelligence information (past, present, and future) that deals with and/or concerns protecting this nation and those that threaten that security, among other actions they oversee. Again, there was no method, rhyme, or reason for this man to be revealing such information. Most to much of the information they have access to is not for public consumption and the man showed poor taste, as well as breaking the protocols that such members of this committee must and agree to adhere to. Mr. Rockefeller should resign or be fired from his post on the prestigious committee. Bet.

seekerof

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Can you just imagine what would have happened if a Secretary or some soldier had leaked this information.

My god this senator would be all his/her butt big time asking for a courtmartial for treason.

What is wrong with this picture?

Just MHO, but I think they should fry his butt and I want to lite the flame.

new topics

top topics

join