It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Scale of the Universe: A Planck Length, to the size of the Observable Universe (w/images)

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Compared to many on ATS, I consider myself not particularly skilled in the sciences. While I have an appreciation for the scientific method, I lack the sheer brainpower to understand the nature of the Universe in an in depth manner.

I was curious, thinking what is the smallest possible thing that can exist, or can one go on infinitely? Universes inside universes so to say. Obversely, is the universe infinite in its enormity, or is there a limit? I'm sure it's a question others ask as well.

I don't know that I'm completely satisfied, but I'll accept at face value the words and images of those with far more intelligence than myself.

This website allows one to zoom in and out, as far as is currently accepted by science;

htwins.net...

Unfortunately, this does not work on the iPad due to the lack of flash, so for those either on a mobile device that does not permit flash, or those feeling unmotivated, this video presents the same information, albeit, not at a user controllable speed.

Enjoy, it's absolutely fascinating.

Just for the hell of it, a few more awe inspiring images.

Small as well;

Needle and thread

Human hair

A crack in steel

Magnified snowflake

edit on 20-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I've seen this a few times; it really does put things into perspective and the interactive app is even better.

I'm more fascinated by the small end of the scale than the large one-people are always awed by the sheer size of the universe, yet a grain of sand would seem like a universe to the smallest of particles.

Microcosm, Macrocosm, it's all marvelous.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

This gets posted about every 6 months and im totally glad about it....I absolutely love this video and thank you for bringing it up. It makes sense why so many need facebook to feel significant because we are nothing in the scale of the universe.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Hii I´ve created a thread on the same topic. I thought maybe you like it, it´s totally different from yours.

Actual size of the universe

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

There is some speculation that once we can actually measure/observe at the scale of individual Planck units, we will be able to determine whether or not the holographic principle rings true. Technology to do just that is possibly only a couple of years away.

en.wikipedia.org...

This video posses some interesting questions regarding the topic. Think the auther is also a member.

edit on 20-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The Universe is infinitely awesome, and to throw some perspective on to that, consider that in addition to the scales visualised on such videos and apps, there could be far more vast, complex and awesome worlds and universes within and without the 'known' universe.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Indeed, our very own Mr. Mask is also Mr. Siff from youtube, love his videos.

Thanks for the post OP, will be checking this stuff out for sure.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I like the animations. According to Google UY Scuti is now the star with the highest known mass and circumference.

Hii I´ve created a thread on the same topic. I thought maybe you like it, it´s totally different from yours.

Actual size of the universe

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Checked this thread out too. Awesome.
edit on 20-1-2015 by Asynchrony because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I like these kinds of videos. Here are two more related videos.
This is the one that started it all, at least I think so, if there's an earlier version let me know but this goes way back to 1977 and it's a lot like the video in the OP but uses actual imagery instead of illustrations:

Powers of Ten

This is the modernized version of that, again using lots of actual imagery:

Cosmic Voyage powers of ten clip

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I am in awe of the magnified snow flake....far out brussel sprout.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

There was a thread a few years ago with large detailed images of magnified snowflakes which should show in the search engine.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I had a brief look, but didn't find anything immediate. I agree, it's definitely a thread worth revisiting.

a reply to: Sinter Klaas

Thanks Sinter Klaas, your thread is fantastic, I've been spending some time going through it.

a reply to: Arbitrageur

These are great videos, thanks for adding them to the thread.

What I can comprehend, is whether there is anything smaller than a Planck length, or quantum foam? Is it possible to go infinitely small? Similarly, I wonder whether the universe has an end, or if theories like that of the multiverse hold true?

I don't know if these questions have an answer, but science is constantly theorising and adding to its base of knowledge, so perhaps there will be new discoveries that further illuminate our understanding of the universe.

Undoubtably so, but when?

edit on 21-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Posted before, many times.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold
What I can comprehend, is whether there is anything smaller than a Planck length, or quantum foam? Is it possible to go infinitely small? Similarly, I wonder whether the universe has an end, or if theories like that of the multiverse hold true?
In a sense, it doesn't really matter. You can have fun debating the topics over some beers, but nobody will ever see what is outside the universe, so the speculation is kind of pointless even if it's fun.

Similarly, we already know that it's impossible to observe anything smaller than a Planck length, so just like the "outside the universe" topic, if you can never observe what you're talking about you're stuck with only speculation with no measurable way to ever confirm or reject the speculation, which puts it outside the realm of science.

Here's a good video on Planck length:

You may as well ask "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?", because you have as much chance of getting an answer to that, as to "What's smaller than a Planck length?" or "What's outside the universe?". The chance that any advancement of science, ever, will answer either of those questions is approximately one divided by the number of stars in the universe, and that's a lot of stars.

I'm sure science will make tremendous advances in answering other questions which can actually be answered scientifically. The big one right now is "what is dark matter?" and our chances of answering that are much better, though there's not really any guarantee that dark matter will interact with regular matter at all so that may not be answered with direct observational evidence of the dark matter if that's the case. There's a new experiment looking for answers to that question, and one of the physicists involved posted a thread about it on ATS.
edit on 21-1-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold
a reply to: rockpaperhammock
I wonder whether the universe has an end

Yes it does.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Awesome thread! Never seen those videos

top topics

join