It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope: There's no need to breed "like rabbits"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Maybe this has been posted but I couldn't find it in the search.

The Pope recently gave and interview to National Catholic Reporter and said, after a visit to Asia (not sure which country but it says the largest Catholic Nation in Asia) and said that Catholics have a responsibility to limit the number of children and need not reproduce like rabbits.

I for one, think this will fall on deaf ears because the church still bans the use of artificial means of birth control. I know of two families in my home town that have eight children and are Catholic. I worked with one of the mothers and asked her "why so many children?" She said to me that God would stop her from having children if He didn't want her to have any more. I was just kind of astounded that people still believe this. I think it is a step in the right direction for the Catholic Church but I guess we have to wait and see what becomes of it.

Just to clarify my beliefs - I am a spiritual person who does not follow any one doctrine and also believe that if we need a license to drive, own a handgun and sell real estate - why do we not need a license to be a parent? I just believe there should be a basic class that teaches people how to actually care for the emotional and physical needs of a child. Anyway, that isn't part of the topic here.

So, back on track, what do you think of the quote by the head of the Catholic Faith and any Catholics, how do you feel about it? No judgements, just curious. I don't care how many children you have - just raise them to be healthy emotionally and physically and I have no qualms with any parent who does this.

What say you ATS?

Source: USA Today

Pope Francis, after a visit to the largest Catholic nation in Asia, says Catholics may have a moral responsibility to limit the number of their children and need not reproduce "like rabbits.''

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The whole notion of overpopulation kinda doesn't make sense. If you look at birth rate/death rate trends of the world, the birthrate is slowing while the death rate is continuing on an upward slope. Eventually these two lines will intersect and one of two things will happen, they will balance or we have another problem on our hands as the human race starts going extinct.

If the pope wants people to not have so many kids, then start pushing contraceptives.
edit on 20/1/15 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
But, what about those like Beezzer and Wrabbit?

Some people will have lots of kids. There isn't a need for people to have fifteen kids. I can see some people wanting to have three but more than that is not good for the overall health of the world. When the bible says go out and multiply people don't understand. Two times one equals two is multiplying.
edit on 20-1-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Blinkydoo

"There's no need to breed "like rabbits"

Then let you flock were Jimmy hats, stands to reason!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Maybe if the Catholic Church wasn't so adamant about contraception, people wouldn't be breeding like rabbits in certain countries where catholism is the dominant religion just a thought.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
My guess is he's testing the waters to lift the ban on contraception.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

He's right. There is no need to breed like rabbits!

I think more people should stand up and say so.

Not mentioning names or religions but if you are with the times and don't have your head in the sand, you will know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I agree and was thinking about this last night.
Why are people so dumb...you know what happens when you put that into there?
You know how babies are made so why the oopsie BS?

The "we had unprotected sex and I got pregnant" line doesn't fly well with me.
Use your head and quit pretending it was an accident.
Use protection and be responsible and quit making excuses why you keep accidentallly bringing kids into the world.

They say pets should be spayed and neutered and some days I think people should get it done first.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
My guess is he's testing the waters to lift the ban on contraception.

From your (lips) fingertips to God's ears!

The pope cited the case of a woman he met who was pregnant with her eighth child after seven Cesarean sections. "That is an irresponsibility!" he said. The woman might argue that she should trust in God. "But God gives you methods to be responsible," he said.

He said there are many "licit" ways of regulating births that are approved by the church, an apparent reference to the family planning method of monitoring a woman's cycle to avoid intercourse when she is ovulating.

Pope Francis needs a lesson in biology.

Contraception is the only answer and sometimes it's a matter of life or death and a basket full of orphans.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
My wife (Chinese) keeps pushing me for more and I refuse till she can give me a reason other than "other people have more"

I'm going for quality over quantity on this one. Plus as a father it is stressful looking looking down at your dependants and wondering how your going to carry them all when the SHTF.
edit on 20-1-2015 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2015 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
According to research, In order for a culture to maintain itself for more than 25 years, there must be a fertility rate of 2.11 children per family. With anything less, the culture will decline. A 1.9 fertility rate has never been reversed. I suggest you watch this video linked below to explain why I suggest the pope is behind the agenda 21 plan. He is clearly wanting to phase us all out.

youtu.be...
edit on 20-1-2015 by shellglow because: typo

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The dropping birth rate argument bothers me.

The human population probably shouldn't be much over about 2B. Last I checked, we were up near 7.

We cannot sustain this planet with so many people, we're only managing to limp along for the last hundred years or so by devastating the planets natural resources.

The georgia stones said something like 500M. Of course, the people who came up with that were likely looking for a population small enough to run as a dictatorship... But at least there would be enough resources for the species to live on past a few generations.

www.worldometers.info...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It's human biology and human nature, we're impulsed to reproduce and have sex.

It's going to happen whatever laws or restrictions we have, there's no way around it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Sporadic reproduction is the reason why our planet is in the state it's in-Kill, mate, repeat-these are the prerogatives of every species.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The biggest issue the Catholic church has had with the US in the last decade has been about birth control especially when it comes to our health care system, and them not wanting the US to make it mandatory for company's or the government pay for birth control. Now all of a sudden their changing there tune about it hmm. Also the Pope is coming to America this year to name the first american Saint hmm. Not mention Aids has been ravaging Africa and 3rd world country's for 30 years and now just now he is changing thier stance on it hmm.

I like this Pope alot but I think he is more of a politician than the last 2 were. Atleast he is talking sensible with his political agenda. He better be careful not to get to political and upset the apple cart too much or someone might put a little something extra in his wine which would be horrible cause I think he is a good man and trying to modernize the Catholic religion but he has to do it slowly to much to fast will piss off to many and we all know the church is known to take out a Pope that wants to do too much change.
edit on 20-1-2015 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Is it ATS' exemplary papal-news hounds, or is this pope dropping deliberate clangers on a regular basis?
They say opinions are like ....... and I assume he's got one.

Subtextually (assuming the first) he seems to be playing a shell game - surely the catholic church needs to focus on its own HR exigencies before revealing the gem-balls that are actually a feature of the behemoth...accumulated wealth (beyond measure), serious and committed abstinence amongst its generals (to name a few recent ones)...

It's my humble opinion (and I'm only one of those with an opinion)...but, people in glass houses...

Å99

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

while I agree, there are too many people, I don't agree the planet can't sustain us. We would just learn the real survival definition of sustain - forget gas or oil, forget living to 90, forget about 4000 calorie days.

I think we are very narcissistic to think we would cause any mortal wound to our planet. This planet will survive regardless of what we do. It is the people that will not survive the harm we cause to it.

Like I said, I agree with you, too many people and too many irresponsible ones at that.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

This is exactly what I thought. Allowing like IUD or condoms first.

I mean, condoms shouldn't be an issue right? I don't understand, not being Catholic, the issue with condoms. I understand their qualm with The Pill and other forms like that, I get their issue with morning after pills.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

I admit, I have never paid much attention to the goings on at the Vatican but this Pope seems to be loved by the media. Either that or he is really radically different. I don't know which though. Could be both. Has this Pope done more than others in his position that seems to be so different from what would be considered normal operations?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blinkydoo
a reply to: akushla99

I admit, I have never paid much attention to the goings on at the Vatican but this Pope seems to be loved by the media. Either that or he is really radically different. I don't know which though. Could be both. Has this Pope done more than others in his position that seems to be so different from what would be considered normal operations?

...just to add (and probly more to my point)...the difference between 'saying' (opinion) and 'doing' (action) is an abyss worthy of a shell game...

I think you're right (re: media)...it would be naive to think that the cathchurch does not employ the best PR (bought using uncounted wealth) from within its ranks to 'release' these gems...

Cheers

Å99

top topics

<<   2 >>

join