It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kabbalah And The Zohar; The Esoteric Bible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I've been doing some reading and thinking on the kabbalah as of late. And finishing another primary kabbalah text I hadn't heard of until recently, I decided to try to read the zohar. I found a translation of a significant portion online. I will post a link. Now, really this OP will just be my writing on a very small portion of the zohar which I have read so far. So there is certainly endlessly more that could be said than what I will say in the OP. My hopes is that others may be interested enough to read from the link I provide, and perhaps they may have thoughts they could share. And I may keep posting more if there is any interest. This turned out quite long. But I would prefer to not cut what I have written into separate posts. So keep that in mind.

First, I think it is important to understand a significant part of kabbalistic thinking that will come into play. And that is, that there is some sort of mystical power in language. Particularly with Hebrew, every letter is loaded with meaning, conceptually and also as representative of a number. The Hebrew letters are seen as sort of elements of creation, along with the 10 sephiroth, which are the 10 numbers. So keep in mind this idea. Toying with the letters is toying with the elements of creation.

I personally find the Jewish religious tradition absolutely fascinating. Try to consider the view. It almost sounds similar to what we would call the fundamentalist view, but they take it to such an extreme that the results are much different, and interesting. With a much wider range of potential interpretation. The torah in particular, is seen as being an absolutely perfect text. The word of God. And that is not taken lightly. Every single minor detail you can imagine has the potential to be absolutely loaded with meaning. There is nothing that is arbitrary or coincidental in the Torah. Spiritual illumination comes from seeing the wisdom hidden in the most minute of details in the way it is written. So they can endlessly analyze the bible, with endless analysis of minute details and cross-referencing. If the same word is used multiple times, and in one instance is equated with something else, then that something else can be applied to all uses of the word. And just lots of methods of extrapolating seemingly endless meaning from the text.

There is a discussion on the significance of 'Elohim,' which is the most commonly used word for God in the hebrew bible. It goes on about how the original names for God are Mi(who) and Mah(what). Keep and mind the letters yud and heh are in a way representative of the ultimate polarity, which can be labelled masculine and feminine respectively. Mi being masculine with its yud and Mah feminine with its heh. They're like the initial polarity, Mi is also the 'higher,' Mah the 'lower.' Elleh is a word which means 'these.' Elleh seems to signify manifested forms of individual existence, in a somewhat lofty sense. It seems to me that Mi, meaning who, is like the idea of the absolute subject, like the Hindu concept of Self, the Brahman which is Atman. Elohim is seen as being a combination of elleh and mi, mi being reversed. Thus it represents the union between subject and object, the transcendental and hidden with the imminent and manifest. So it is by virtue of the Divine name Elohim, that Mi, the transcendental creative force, manifested the Universe, through union with elleh in Elohim.

A few rabbis are having a discussion on the opening of genesis. One offers an interpretation of the word berasheet, the very first word, which is translated 'In the beginning. 'Bara(he created) #h(six, in Aramaic). So, he created six. 'He' being the transcendental. There are also 6 letters in the word berasheet. Now, if berasheet is taken to mean 'he created six,' then there is one potential interpretation one could arrive at which is interesting. The bara, created, could be interpreted as taking on a whole new meaning. It can then be taken as an action which is done by the six. Thus God created the six, who created heaven and earth. This is just one possible interpretation that occurs to me that concurs with certain things I have read before. So, the transcendental created six, which also correspond to the six days of creation. Elleh, the word which is supposed to represent the manifest universe, has a numerical value of 36, which is 6 squared. The seventh day is the shabbath, which I think may well correspond to the transcendental. Thus, the transcendental created the six, it itself being the first existent-one. Yet it corresponds to shabbath, which is the last day. 'I am the first and the last.'

It was said that Abraham marks the dawn of ordered, tangible existence. This is marked by the linguistics of the opening of genesis and Abraham's name. A big part of the points they are making here revolve around Genesis 2:4, which says: These(elleh) are the generations of the heavens and the earth, [when they were created.] I put the part that is in question in brackets. This is the straightforward reading. In hebrew, it is b'hibram. The zohar is saying that you take b as a prefix, and take the rest of the word as being an anagram to abraham. The only difference in reading is the switching of aleph and heh. And keep in mind that heh is the additional letter which God gave to Abram which made him Abraham, that here would mark the beginning of his name in the anagram. So, it is saying: "In that day the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, by abraham.' Thus the telling of the creation story alludes to abraham, 'in that day the Lord God made the earth and the heavens.' Thus Abraham is somehow representative of creation being actualized. It's important to note that on the tree of life Abraham represents Chesed, which is the first sephirah beneath the abyss.

Genesis begins 'beresheet bara elohim eth...' 'In the beginning God created...' Look closely at the first 4 words. The first 2 words start with bet, the 2nd letter of the hebrew alphabet. The second 2 words start with aleph, the 1st letter. This was alluded to as being a significant mystery in an earlier section, where there was a long drawn out dialogue between the letters and God, one by one in reverse order, about which letter would be honored with being the opening letter of the Torah. In the end Bet was chosen, and Aleph accepted it and was made special and significant in its own way. So, aleph and bet were switched at the opening of torah, which is also the story of creation. The second word used to open genesis, bara, means created. If you put aleph in front of of bet in bara, restoring the original order of the alephbet, you get abra, which is the beginning of Abraham's name. Keep in mind yud and heh sort of represent the ultimate polarity, which could be labeled masculine/feminine. So heh was added to abra, becoming abrah. A yud was then added to elleh, becoming elohi. Then mem, the remaining letter of Mi who is the creator, is added to both of them, and you get abraham and elohim. Another interpretation for all of this, goes back to the original dual-names for the transcendental. Mi and Mah. Mi was added to elleh, forming elohim(elleh is aleph-lemed-heh, elohim is aleph-lamed-heh-yud-mem). Mah was added to abra, thus abraham(abra, which is arrived at by putting aleph at the front of bara, is aleph-bet-resh. Abraham is aleph-bet-resh-heh-mem). Notice they both reverse the letters in their utilization of mi and mah.
edit on 20-1-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I studied Kabballah for years. I call bunk.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

You call bunk on kabbalah, or you believe in the kabbalah and you don't like what I wrote specifically?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
www.sacred-texts.com...

That is the URL to the text of the Zohar I am reading.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

I have come to understand that the various mystical systems around the world are far more similar to one-another than the religious systems. You've presented an insightful opening post, and although I have not much to offer, I happily look forward to more. S&F

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: skunkape23

You call bunk on kabalah, or you believe in the kabbalah and you don't like what I wrote specifically?[at/quote]Nothing personal. For what it's worth, I just puked my guts out after I replied to your post. If JHV1 did that to me, screw that god.
I am 230.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I am inclined to agree with skunkape23 on this because where you go into interesting detail about genesis you have to realise that the rabbi's take genesis as though it actually happened as the bible says. However genesis is a combination the rabbis cherry picked from earlier civilisations and manipulated their myths to create a new one for themselves - so where can you hang anything realistic upon borrowed, manipulated story? In Adappa and the snake - the serpent in the garden wanted to help man which is not the connotation put in the bible, in fact the opposite.

The rabbis and indeed all religious men focussed purely on their own religious beliefs and throughout the ages they have had terrific time to create and expand these views, which they then teach onto those who pay for their upkeep. Without this mystery they couldn't create sufficient interest in what they offered - especially fear and a desire to become 'one in an exclusive club with the powerful Rabbi's. It has expanded until we have what we have today where we have celebrities like madonna clustering around the kabbala etc which should confirm the 'exclusive club to you in a flash.

Regarding any culture's spiritualism perhaps, a good look at how that culture conducts itself from a spiritual viewpoint is also a good indication as to the authenticity of their religious books/teachings and how that percolates into their everyday lives and actions.

I am not saying that spirituality is in any way a bad thing but it is as wide as it is long with different views on what it is from all around the world. Its also something that fascinates people for obvious reasons. One shouldn't forget that anyone wearing a religious frock of sorts expects to have the control of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Let me get this straight... you're not Jewish, but you agree and identify with the Talmud? The Talmud is filled with Jewish supremacy. A very racist manuscript. I'm not going to argue this further, but I implore those of you not familiar with it to take a look.

ETA Crap, I see you said Torah. But that's just 5 books of the old testament.

I heard the Kabbalah is like Jewish mysticism... after dark. lol...

At least you explore other religions, good for you.

edit on 1 20 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: ETA

edit on 1 20 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: (no reason given)

edit on 1 20 2015 by JohnTheSmith because: neeeed cofffeee

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Thank you. While I do have a definite interest in the Kabbalah, my mind currently does not support immersing myself in deep study. This summary of yours is just the right level for me to get a handle on. I, for one, would welcome more such postings.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTheSmith
Let me get this straight... you're not Jewish, but you agree and identify with the Talmud? The Talmud is filled with Jewish supremacy. A very racist manuscript. I'm not going to argue this further, but I implore those of you not familiar with it to take a look.

ETA Crap, I see you said Torah. But that's just 5 books of the old testament.

I heard the Kabbalah is like Jewish mysticism... after dark. lol...

At least you explore other religions, good for you.

As you realized, I did not mention the talmud. However, all this talk of it being hateful, racist, and evil is nonsense. Though I am in no way way affiliated with Judaism or any other religion, in a different time with a different mindset I did almost convert to judaism. And this is through heavy study, much of it online. So I inevitably came across these claims about how the talmud was so evil and hateful, and I kept seeing people saying these terrible quotes that the talmud supposedly said. These did have me a bit worried. So, I looked into them. And in the majority of cases, they literally just completely made them up. Nothing even resembling it was to be found in the supposed source within the talmud. In the other cases, it was just totally mis-interpreting what was said and taking it out of context.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
Regarding any culture's spiritualism perhaps, a good look at how that culture conducts itself from a spiritual viewpoint is also a good indication as to the authenticity of their religious books/teachings and how that percolates into their everyday lives and actions.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. That's like seeing jihadist terorists and the execution of sharia law, and concluding that the quran is bogus. You can't assume that people who associate with a religion are truly representative of the religion and its text. Similarly christians have perpetuated atrocities in the past, and some would argue have its own problems today. So then you can say that the bible is nonsense. But again, the text can't be judged by the people who say they believe it. The religious masses are generally guided by accepted dogma, rather than sincere and intense study of their religious text. Therefore, it is moreso the religious leaders than the religious text which determines things for people. And if I and others are right, religious scripture is intended to hold deep meaning which isn't readily available without an open-mind, deep analysis and the ability to read between the lines.

Now you could say, for instance, look at the buddhists. They are never at war. So peaceful. There must be something to Buddhism. And that I would say does have some merit. But I would say that is moreso because buddhism is more immanently practical in a very personal and mental way, that is inherently transformative if put into practice. Whereas most religions have always overtly centered on dogma, rather than personal transformation.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I made the point that genesis is not what people think it is. Its from the pagan world's myths! All twisted and changed so you don't even have the authentic meaning of the original myths that genesis is based on - so how can it ever be spiritual.

Its like buying fake holy relics, or seats in heaven. You can make it as so called mystical, spiritual or whatever but you can't get past its actually a synergistic lie - so how can you get truth and genuine spirituality from it. Any one who does is willingly deluding themselves.

Surely you want your spiritual ideals based on truth? If you base them on lies for political purposes are they spiritual or delusional and worst manipulative? Genesis has supported very wealthy men of power for a very long time and I see no spirituality in any of its supporters only base materialism and desire for power over others.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

First, I think it is important to understand a significant part of kabbalistic thinking that will come into play. And that is, that there is some sort of mystical power in language. Particularly with Hebrew, every letter is loaded with meaning, conceptually and also as representative of a number. The Hebrew letters are seen as sort of elements of creation, along with the 10 sephiroth, which are the 10 numbers. So keep in mind this idea. Toying with the letters is toying with the elements of creation.

Yeah, esoterica is fascinating stuff. Kaballah brings a lot to the BIG cross-cultural table of esoterica in the sky. But I don't think the power is in the language qua language. I think the power is in the capacity for symbolic, allegorical, poetic thinking combined with the abiity to reach altered states of 'mystical' consciousness.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnTheSmith

Just because some who follow the religion cannot move beyond duality (racism) do not mean there is not spiritual knowledge hiding behind the words. Ever looked up the definition of יְהֹוָה, Jehovah = "the existing One". Sometimes the words have special meaning that are lost now days.

www.blueletterbible.org...

In the end there is only one source of all: ONE.
edit on 20-1-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

No no no, I didn't say evil.
However, I'm pretty stalwart in my opinion of the Talmud. (not Torah) But that's neither here nor there, and I didn't mean to derail.

Would you think Kabbalah and the ancient Egyptian mystery schools have anything in common?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

No no no, I didn't say evil.
However, I'm pretty stalwart in my opinion of the Talmud. (not Torah) But that's neither here nor there, and I didn't mean to derail.

Would you think Kabbalah and the ancient Egyptian mystery schools have anything in common?

ETA: I forgot to include that it's interesting to note that Jewish graves are sometimes called houses of life, and that happens to also be what Egyptian mystery schools were called.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Hi again Journey (i say again because i recently replied to another post you shared),

It seems we have intercepting interests on our "journey." I recently had been trying to also decipher the esoteric meaning behind Genesis, to start. I don't have my sources readily available, but I came to some inspiration that Genesis may be a description of God creating man's eternal being rather than a description of the creation of Earth. I'll try to connect my sources and my discoveries when I have a chance. I really want to crack this "code."

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChristinaLM

Hi again Journey (i say again because i recently replied to another post you shared),

It seems we have intercepting interests on our "journey." I recently had been trying to also decipher the esoteric meaning behind Genesis, to start. I don't have my sources readily available, but I came to some inspiration that Genesis may be a description of God creating man's eternal being rather than a description of the creation of Earth. I'll try to connect my sources and my discoveries when I have a chance. I really want to crack this "code."

I'd say that's an interesting and insightful thought on interpreting genesis. Actually, the kabbalah is largely based on, can be said to be symbolically represented by, the tree of life.

And this tree of life also is a symbolic representation of the universe, the elements and pattern underlying it. And interestingly, it is also said to be a symbolic representation of man, and also the divine being. Very much this idea of microcosm/macrocosm, as above so below. So that goes along with your idea of creation representing not the world but man's being. Well, the kabbalistic view is that man's being, god's being, and the universe, all manifest according to the same pattern, with the same elements, and these are represented by the tree of life, which is the 10 sephiroth and the 22 letters of the Hebrew language. It's all very interesting, I just re read my OP, it was from a while ago, definitely some interesting stuff from the zohar. Need to have a bit of familiarity with the basics of hebrew, at least the alphabet, for some of it. But very interesting.
edit on 11-8-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Interesting observation you note about a correspondence between Jewish graves and the Egyptian mystery schools, I didn't know that. As for them having commonality, well there's a few ways you could look at it. I mean, at one level I think there tends to be commonality between spiritual systems and their symbolic representations, perhaps because of archetypal structures in the unconscious and all of that. But also, I mean it's a common idea I'm certain things I read that there is some esoteric tradition and system which everything is originally based on and structured according to. And so it's kind if the idea that, the real Egyptian and kabbalistic traditions were both based on this esoteric tradition and system.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

There's so much to learn and so little time >.< lol, but we're making good progress. I also read sacred-texts regularly and have so many pages of notes written on the margins. Despite all that I've read, it is really hard to absorb and interpret that information. Especially when it comes to the Tree of Life. They left us with trinkets of information, like breadcrumbs, and I know someone is holding all of it somewhere. I just hope they will share it with us, but I suppose it wouldn't be of much value if its just handed down so easily.

I'm going to continue trying to learn as much as I can, and now that I've found this website it should provide a good supplemental learning curve. You've already provided me with good insight that I can start working from again. [I had to take a 1 year break, it was starting to get overwhelming].

I look forward to your future posts.
edit on 10-8-2015 by ChristinaLM because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join