It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cry me a river - Vancouver couple struggles to make ends meet on only $25,000 a month

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Assuming the article is factual, a fool and his money are soon parted.

He does not have an income problem, he has a spending problem and a work ethic problem. If I can't make it by on working 2 days a week, I work 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 days a week until I can make it work.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Even if he worked 10 hour days at the hospital that's still over $400 PER HOUR. Who can afford to pay doctors that much? That would be a $1,000,000 /yr if he worked 5 days a week. What does he do with 5 days off a week anyway? maybe it's his golfing green fees that eat up their income.
edit on 20-1-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
What does he do with 5 days off a week anyway?

They have 5 kids.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
So we are expected to feel sorry for these people cause? They are living beyond their means and are expecting to be given a pat on the back and a handout?

Funny, I live on less than that a month, yet, every month I pay all of my bills, ensure all of the household bills are paid, and have enough to save up and go on 1 weekly vacation a year, that is preplaned the prior year in advance, way in advance when I can get the cheapest amount to travel. I budget, scrimp and save, and know people and families that are working long hours and more often than both of those 2 are, and yet they manage to get buy.

Maybe they should look into doing something radical, like cutting up the credit cards, and not showing off their wealth. Living in a budget, and living well within their means. Instead of trying to live a lifestyle of opulence, maybe live like everyone else does, and see if a bit of humility and humble pie does wonders for them.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I live on 40k a year so they can take the pity plea and shove it up their ass.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: snypwsd
a reply to: Domo1

As some one who lives in that area I can say that Vancouver is the most expensive city to live in, in canada. A million dollar house there would be the same as buying a $200,000-$300,000 house anywhere else. Clothes,food, gas ect its all more expensive their.

You guys need to look at the whole picture before you roll your eyes. And like some one else said almost half there money gets taken buy our government.

Vancouver isn't even listed in the top 10 expensive places to live in America.

I'm in the Los Angeles beach area. $300,000 here might get you a garage.

Um...not to be a prick or anything, but ........I was under the impression that Vancouver was in Canada?
Or not.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: snypwsd

As some one who lives in that area I can say that Vancouver is the most expensive city to live in, in canada. A million dollar house there would be the same as buying a $200,000-$300,000 house anywhere else. Clothes,food, gas ect its all more expensive their.

You guys need to look at the whole picture before you roll your eyes. And like some one else said almost half there money gets taken buy our government.

Vancouver isn't even listed in the top 10 expensive places to live in America.

I'm in the Los Angeles beach area. $300,000 here might get you a garage.

Um...not to be a prick or anything, but ........I was under the impression that Vancouver was in Canada?
Or not.

Funny, I've even been there.

But, there's a Vancouver, WA too. Maybe they are talking about Canada.

I'm sick, bad head cold. Shouldn't even be trying to think

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Sorry, I hope you feel better. Drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. (I just saved you a trip to the doc.)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: Annee

Sorry, I hope you feel better. Drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. (I just saved you a trip to the doc.)

Thanks.

BTW it's is Vancouver, Canada they are talking about, not Vancouver, WA.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
$520 a month on clothing?!

I haven't spent near that much in three years! I'm serious.

These folks should be keeping a lower profile. There is no sympathy for their "dilemma" amongst the struggling masses.

I'm hoping this turns out to be a stupid hoax.

With people like them and austere economic conditions of the great unwashed I foresee a new French style revolution soon.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Live within your means..startlingly simple concept that is lost on many. It is expensive to live here but crying about 25k a month..cry me a river. Many do quite well with much less.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I live in a major urban area and in that same income range. It is very good money, but you are far from rich. I accept that I'm well off compared to the average joe, but hardly what I would call rich like most people envision.

You are basically upper middle class in most major urban areas as the cost of living is so high. Most of my social circle probably makes similar (lawyers, doctors, bankers, corporate positions). Most of us drive 10+ year old cars. Houses are fairly modest for the areas we live but sound like a lot to those live in middle America. My house is probably worth $500k but is a small 100 year old craftsman bungalow. Larger homes (around 2500 sqft) in my area would probably set me back around $1 million. We could qualify for it, but my income is subject to wild fluctuations so I'm not comfortable taking on that kind of debt. I also don't want to feel like I can't get off the hamster wheel.

At the end of the day, I basically make enough to put away for retirement, savings, and hopefully leaving something of an inheritance or pay for education for my child. I don't wear a lot of expensive clothing. I drive a 10 year old VW. My wife just bought a new car after driving the wheels off her Saturn she got back in 1997. We can usually take one nice vacation per year and eat out with necessarily budgeting, but we certainly aren't popping bottles in the club with P Diddy.

I'm not expecting that I will be getting social security 20 year from now when I retire so most of our disposable income is shoring up savings. I'm constantly spending $1000 here or a $1,000 here to take care my elderly parents. My wife and I had about $125k of grad school debt that we are just now getting paid off.

While I don't expect sympathy from the eat the rich crowd, I can tell you from personal experience that taxes do affect our spending habits. I come from a blue collar background and bust my azz to get where to my current position. I put in the 60-80 hour work weeks, grad school, etc. It does get under your skin when folks then try to hit you with the hating for what you've achieved and act like you aren't paying your "fair share" when damn near half your earnings are going out the door in various taxes.

flame away

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Why flame you? You sound like the exact opposite of these two in the article -- Paying your bills first, & managing the remainder of your income wisely. I gather you're not exactly up to your eyeballs in debt beyond what you actually make annually, grad school debt aside? If not, you're doing everything right & using common sense before letting wants overrule needs.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It's not hating your success at all. I wish everyone would have all the success and good fortune they can find. But, when you loose touch with reality, forget that people out there have LEGITIMATE problems due to lack of money, you kind of need to be reminded that perhaps your problems aren't as big as you think. If you have to settle for a 5 series BMW because you can't swing the payments for a 7 series, I apologize for not rallying a fund raiser for you.

I'd be happy to have the horrible problem of making too much money that I had to pay more taxes. (that would mean that I moved up in my income level)

Enjoy the fruits of your labor. You sacrificed to get the education you did and you deserve to be rewarded for that. But, when you are making 300K a year, don't look for sympathy over that $400 repair bill on your Maserati. Just smile and be glad you have a Maserati.

edit on 20-1-2015 by network dude because: bad spelr, and Augustusmasonicus drinks skunky blatz out of dirty mugs.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I've had money, I've not had money.

Gotta learn the difference between Need and Want.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
These people are pathetic try getting by on minimum wage I don't work but my mate does I'm a stay at home mom very blessed and we don't make half that. You make me sick. I always try and help others when and where I can with cash or clothing. I also give at my church. The nerve of them to complain. They need to take a walk in someone else.s shoes. Grow up and open your eyes and look around you. 95% of the population lives off 25,000.00 a f..... years a.. holes.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I hear you. However, you have to realize that a lot of the folks in that income bracket are not living large by most standards. They are well off but not rich. So when I see the typical class warfare arguments about the 1%, it gets under my skin. It only takes about $400k to be in the top 1% as far income is concerned. Yes, that is good money, but it is not RICH. There is a world of difference between being some working stiff making $400k and Warren Buffet even though both are in the top 1%.

I recall when Obama would spout off about "millionaires and billionaires" then when you see the details of what he is proposing, it hits people who make $250k.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If he is a doctor, he might be working two days at 16 hours day and working as a consultant surgeon on call.

$25000/month is about £12500/month. That's in line with most doctors salaries across the Western world.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: Domo1

originally posted by: Bilk22

Man there are a lot of troll posts tonight.

?
Did you actually read the article you linked to? The article is based on a story from The Globe. You buy the stories in The Globe?

So this post of yours is either a troll or you're that easily manipulated and believe it without any proof it's real. They even made corrections at the bottom of the article. The guy works between 80 and 100hrs per week. The two days makes it seem the way you intended to present it here.

Ah what's the use? There's so much hate and envy in the world. I guess that's the intent of the article. To make people feel inadequate and hate others that may be doing better than they are. Seems there's quite a few of these threads tonight. Must have something to do with Obama's Failure of the State address tomorrow night.

Envy? Really? Wake up out of your zombie slumber! The top 1% of the world's wealthiest will now own 50% of all wealth. The average income in the US four a family of 4 is around $40k. You know how many places a family of four can live and have a normal U.S. existence on that ??? Hardly anywhere that has good schools, low crime, etc. this is about economic JUSTICE! The world is being destroyed and the fabric of democracy and freedom because there is less and less wealth to go around. It has nothing to do with envy. Even if this article is fake Vancouver is an expensive place to live because of all the nefarious wealthy Chinese coming in and buying up and speculating the market to death. But anyways gere to orange county and see how wealthy people are while the rest of their country burns into poverty and subsistence living.

Bill Gross from Pimco just donated $10 million to a local hospital! Wow! The guy is a freakin bond trader who's been bailed out by the government and is worth billions. Yet pathetic people who run the hospital and the stupid catholic nuns have no problem taking dirty Wallstreet money!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The two day a week work week eh? That sounds pretty good. So he only has to sit around crying about being broke 5 days a week then? Also, they apparently have enough people in the fam to spend $2k a month at the grocery store, but only FIFTY BUCKS for health insurance. Only in Canada.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join