It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cry me a river - Vancouver couple struggles to make ends meet on only $25,000 a month

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Bilk22

You seem to have missed the part where I included the corrections from the article in the OP. Also the part where it says he works "up to" 80 hours a week. You can work "up to" 168 hours a week, but that doesn't mean you are actually doing it.

I highly doubt someone working at a clinic one day a week, and a university one day a week actually needs to spend that much time off the clock doing paperwork.

Why do you have a beef with the Globe?

We're talking about the same site/paper? The Globe Ah I guess it's as good as any other MSM source. They usually have some good stuff on alien abductions too

The guy is evidently a doctor of some sort. At least that's my impression. So instead of ranting about a second hand story, did you search The Globe for the original that was used for the article you referenced? Did it seem true and verifiable?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
So if i win xlotto tonight . 20 million ,maybe get 5 percent in the bank . Tax half that , 1500 a day lets say . Better not win , i dont know if i could afford it .

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

You seem to have missed the part where I included the corrections from the article in the OP. Also the part where it says he works "up to" 80 hours a week. You can work "up to" 168 hours a week, but that doesn't mean you are actually doing it.

I highly doubt someone working at a clinic one day a week, and a university one day a week actually needs to spend that much time off the clock doing paperwork.

Why do you have a beef with the Globe?

We're talking about the same site/paper? The Globe Ah I guess it's as good as any other MSM source. They usually have some good stuff on alien abductions too

The guy is evidently a doctor of some sort. At least that's my impression. So instead of ranting about a second hand story, did you search The Globe for the original that was used for the article you referenced? Did it seem true and verifiable?

That is not the Globe I am talking about. I figured you didn't read the Globe article you were mocking. Good job figuring out he was a doctor of some sort. If you had tried a little harder and hadn't jumped to conclusions you would have read that he is a physician. I thought you read the article? At least one of them. You said you did.

Here is a link. It's not the same Globe.

The Globe And Mail isn't a tabloid. You jumped to conclusions, insinuated I was either easily manipulated or trolling based off a knee jerk reaction. We all make mistakes, just admit it and move on.

Also, no, it doesn't sound real. It seems like a joke. I HOPE it's a joke. it seemed as true and verifiable as anything else I read on MSM sites. There's really no way for me to ever know with complete certainty that something is real unless I see it.

Still, that news source isn't a tabloid.

edit on 2020150120151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Oh please. "Eric and Ilsa" are everywhere.

Here's their twitter: mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If this is not a bogus story, yeah, no tears for whiny rich twits. I came from Florida, where certain areas are full of the wealthy bitching that they're not wealthy enough. My mother used to work in specialized home medical delivery many moons ago, and used to deliver to people that ranged from living in shacks in poverty in ghettos, to the uber-wealthy on the islands with a full waitstaff on hand. The wealthy were the biggest pricks on all levels, right down to the condescending complaining about their super-deep pockets not being deep enough.

No pity for the fools in the article. Been there, seen that. Nice try on the sympathy grab, but fail.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Last fall, they bought a building lot for $1.1-million and are planning to build a house large enough for their family and a live-in nanny. But with a combined income of $360,000 ($450,000 when Ilsa returns to work) and an $800,000 mortgage, can they afford the builder’s $1-million price tag? Who will lend them the money?

This is one of the most irritating things I have ever read. This couple makes an insane amount of money, and the husband only works two days a week. One day at a clinic, the other at a University. The wife is a Dentist and on Maternity leave. The husband is currently making $300,000 a year working 2 freaking days a week. When the wife goes back to work she will be making $150,000 a year. Combined household income of $450,000 a year and they're bitching.

I'm not sure your beef other than you think that people in general should not live better than you can...

450k seems like a lot but lets break it down...

450k - 38% = 171k in taxes or 278k

278k - 25% retirement savings = 70k or 208k Some people actually want a retirement pass SS...

208k - a mortgage, lets say 5k a month, because some people do not want to live in an apartment at 900 per month their whole lives, so we are at 148k

160k - 10k per kid per year for a college savings for 3 kids puts us at 118k

10k a month for all other bills has us at -2000 on a credit card at the end of the year.

This all may seem crazy, but it is easy to spend. Double a house size in a high end area, 2 nice cars, like some nicer things in life, save for retirement, kids future and it is gone really quick.

Monthly disbursements: Mortgage $3,800; property tax (both properties) $1,000; utilities $490; insurance $90; maintenance, garden $190; transportation $800; groceries $2,000; clothing $520; children’s activities $1,000; tuition $5,400; summer camp $600; child care $2,800; gifts, charitable $320; vacation, travel $2,000; dining, entertainment $200; sports, hobbies $200; miscellaneous (furniture, toys) $400; health insurance $50; cellphones $220; telecom, Internet $80; RRSP $3,000; professional associations $6,000. Total: $31,160

Not sure I see anything outrageous here. You ever buy professional cloths... professional associations, professional meals etc?

UPDATE II: The Globe corrected its correction. Eric now works "up to 80 hours a week," apparently.

Most people who make a lot of money work well over 60 hours per week as a norm....

edit on 20-1-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
a reply to: Domo1

Man there are a lot of troll posts tonight.

?

Oh, because I've started a few threads? Ha! It's been awhile since I was called a troll. Feels good. I missed it.

Oh but aren't you a cute furry troll with that gorgeous red grin on your face?!

Come here kitty kitty....LOL

On topic:

Nope....still have no sympathy for these morons

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I survived on less than half of that all last year

People have no pity for the homeless

And I have no pity when they join me

Wake up calls are coming

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I'm not sure your beef other than you think that people in general should not live better than you can...

450k seems like a lot but lets break it down...

278k - 25% retirement savings = 70k or 208k Some people actually want a retirement pass SS...

208k - a mortgage, lets say 5k a month, because some people do not want to live in an apartment at 900 per month their whole lives, so we are at 148k

160k - 10k per kid per year for a college savings for 3 kids puts us at 118k

10k a month for all other bills has us at -2000 on a credit card at the end of the year.

This all may seem crazy, but it is easy to spend. Double a house size in a high end area, 2 nice cars, like some nicer things in life, save for retirement, kids future and it is gone really quick.

I think I can do even better. Let's start by upping the taxation to 40% all around on them, nice even number.

$450,000 less 40% taxation, or less $180,000 = $270,000

Now, there's $270,000 annual left here. Let's look at mortgages. And not the absurd $5,000 mini-mcmansion kind. Going off mortgage rates where I live for modest 4 & 5 bedroom homes in nice neighborhoods, $2500 is a workable modest amount for those who can dole it out. That's an annual mortgage expense of $30,000, and leaves us $240,000.

Now, housing is already accounted for, so we can look at retirement savings. I'd rather look at utilities first, but whatever. Retirement it is. Stash 1/5th of the remainder (a quarter is nice, but a fifth leaves room to pay bills, and stash the remainder of that monthly amount) That's $48,000 set aside for retirement, leaving us $192,000.

Now, I'm ditching the gardener, shopping sprees for clothes, summer camp, charity, vacation travel, toy sprees off their monthly expenses and have dropped said expenses down to a nice $16,830. MUCH better than the $25k when the most frivolous or unnecessary stuff is snipped out. Charity's nice, but should not leave a donor short. Same with summer camp, it's nice, but isn't worth it if it puts one in the hole. Oh, whoops, these monthly expenses less mortgage & retirement still exceed what they make. To the tune of $201,960. Unless my math is really bad, these people can't manage their money for ish, and it's everything past a mortgage & utilities that is the problem. They spend $25,660 every month, and that is a whopping $307,920. That is still more than your $279,000 after 38% taxation.

You have to give them credit, they tried publicly whining. That takes balls. Still takes bigger ones to admit you live beyond your means and make the necessary changes to live within them.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
lol this sounds as though it were taken off Richie Rich's personal Internet Version ii.

Oh the Horror, 25,000 isn't enough for us important folk, what will we do without our
monthly doggie trainer, maid, butler and BS counsellor, never mind our personal chef.
Why little jonny and katie can't eat GMO food, why that's for Poor people who use
Internet Version i-scapegoat.

I wonder what that would be in New York $

edit on 1/20/2015 by awareness10 because: (ALIENS)

edit on 1/20/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

You would probably be surprised how well I live...

I'm very against being nasty toward people that have money. Spend it. It's yours, have fun.

I am, however, very against people that make a lot of money that then turn around and bitch because they can't manage their finances and make some sacrifices. 5 kids? You want a modest 1 million dollar home? Kiss my ass. Maybe you shouldn't have crapped out so many kids.

The husband could rake in an additional $100,000 a year by working one more day a week? No sympathy, and I don't for a second believe he puts in 80 hours a week.

All of these issues are so easily dealt with. Sell that $1 million + lot. Buy a nice home 30 minutes farther away for that price and don't pay exorbitant property taxes, insane mortgage rates etc. or worry about the building process and where you will stay between homes.

I love how this guy wants to work into his 80's, but can't be bothered to go to work more that 2 days a week. Anyone that believes the 80 hours a week BS needs to take a step back and THINK. There are doctors. There are professors. Most work at least 8 hours a day, five days a week. They manage. This guy is working 2 days a week. It's BS. I'm having trouble even believing it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Come here kitty kitty....LOL

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

LOL... oh you Americans and your uber low tax rates.

This couple is in Vancouver, Canada.

That means the combined federal and provincial tax bracket (in British Columbia) for a household income of 450k is closer to 50%. Quite literally, half of their gross earnings get handed over to the taxman.

But either way, there's no reason for this couple to be 'struggling'. Unfortunately for people like this, they have no concept of what "down-sizing" means.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

As i am in a very magnanimous mood today i will attempt a little defence (half heartedly all the same!).

Money is relative, so when you earn little you survive on little. When you are used to loads, losing a little can make a big difference and means your standard of living drops a bit. Whilst this clearly isn't terrible (ie abject poverty) it is still clearly noticeable and feels disastrous!

That said, they need to get a grip........

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Two grand a month on groceries? perhaps they should cut out the best steak every meal, eat beefburgers now and again, that amount of money would last me months, but, I don't have any dependants as such, two grand?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

As some one who lives in that area I can say that Vancouver is the most expensive city to live in, in canada. A million dollar house there would be the same as buying a $200,000-$300,000 house anywhere else. Clothes,food, gas ect its all more expensive their.

You guys need to look at the whole picture before you roll your eyes. And like some one else said almost half there money gets taken buy our government.
edit on 12115p21220 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

edit on 13115p21320 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
well here's there problem!

and their five children.

no wonder they have such high cost in some of the area's.
some youngin's eat like a horse and they cost a lot.
edit on 20-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

As some one who lives in that area I can say that Vancouver is the most expensive city to live in, in canada. A million dollar house there would be the same as buying a $200,000-$300,000 house anywhere else. Clothes,food, gas ect its all more expensive their.

You guys need to look at the whole picture before you roll your eyes. And like some one else said almost half there money gets taken buy our government.

Vancouver isn't even listed in the top 10 expensive places to live in America.

I'm in the Los Angeles beach area. $300,000 here might get you a garage.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
One of things that happened in Vancouver, is that a substantial number of Hong Kong millionaires emigrated to Vancouver and bought up all the traditionally middle-class white housing, which in turn displaced those residents into working class areas.

Now, this family is trying to fight the tide and compete against the millionaires. Which isn't working given the increased cost of living.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Oh please. "Eric and Ilsa" are everywhere.

Here's their twitter: mobile.twitter.com...
Yeah that makes it true LOL Twitter heads. Man society is really in trouble. The Millennials are the walking zombies that are going to take over the Earth

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join