It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cry me a river - Vancouver couple struggles to make ends meet on only $25,000 a month

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Last fall, they bought a building lot for $1.1-million and are planning to build a house large enough for their family and a live-in nanny. But with a combined income of $360,000 ($450,000 when Ilsa returns to work) and an $800,000 mortgage, can they afford the builder’s $1-million price tag? Who will lend them the money?

This is one of the most irritating things I have ever read. This couple makes an insane amount of money, and the husband only works two days a week. One day at a clinic, the other at a University. The wife is a Dentist and on Maternity leave. The husband is currently making $300,000 a year working 2 freaking days a week. When the wife goes back to work she will be making $150,000 a year. Combined household income of $450,000 a year and they're bitching.

The two are apparently living rent free in a relatives home, but paying all the taxes etc. They are super sad because the price of housing has doubled, the house they are currently in is up for sale and they didn't buy a home when they were cheaper. Someone pass the freaking tissues.

So these two are "in the red" $6,000 a month. Why? Let's have a peek at their expenses.

Monthly disbursements: Mortgage $3,800; property tax (both properties) $1,000; utilities $490; insurance $90; maintenance, garden $190; transportation $800; groceries $2,000; clothing $520; children’s activities $1,000; tuition $5,400; summer camp $600; child care $2,800; gifts, charitable $320; vacation, travel $2,000; dining, entertainment $200; sports, hobbies $200; miscellaneous (furniture, toys) $400; health insurance $50; cellphones $220; telecom, Internet $80; RRSP $3,000; professional associations $6,000. Total: $31,160

Screw you, no pity. Who spends that much on clothing every month? I get that it's a breakdown on how much they spend annually/12 months, but still. I feel like I could make $25,000 a month stretch just a little bit more. Then again I don't burn my shoes every time I wear them.

Considering hubby only works 2 days a week (idiot) perhaps they could move a little bit out of town and he could have a slightly longer commute while chopping their taxes and mortgages in half. Or you know, work more than 2 days a week as was suggested in the article. Seriously, pick up one more day a week and that would pretty much solve the "problem". Or quit being a candyass and maybe work *gasp* 4 whole days a week, dump the excess into savings and stop bitching about how hard it is to be you.

I fart in there general direction.

I already wrote this, and apparently glossed over these details, but here. I'll tack 'em on at the end. I highly freaking doubt he's working that many hours. I think he's a whiny little turd and has greatly inflated the number.

UPDATE: The Globe added a correction Monday that only makes this couple’s finances more confusing. We are now told their memberships in professional associations only cost $6,000 annually, not monthly, which significantly alters their financial picture. The doctor also says he works “more than 100 hours a week” at both jobs, which would only leave the poor man another 68 hours to eat, sleep, transport himself between jobs, and hug his children. And yet, the Globe’s financial advice remains the same: work more.

UPDATE II: The Globe corrected its correction. Eric now works "up to 80 hours a week," apparently.

Link

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
No pity from this neck of the woods.

(post by Bilk22 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I fart in there general direction.

It won't do you any good. They are upwind in their Ivory Tower...

I know what you mean though... These stories always make me wonder how these folks would feel if they really had to pinch pennies.

The Monopoly Man weeps for them.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
a reply to: Domo1

Man there are a lot of troll posts tonight.

?

Oh, because I've started a few threads? Ha! It's been awhile since I was called a troll. Feels good. I missed it.
edit on 1920150120151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I suggest they try living within their means which is MUCH easier for them than it is for the vast majority of people.

They're making $450,000 a year and trying to keep up with the millionaire Joneses.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

??

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I wish I could struggle with that salary and work schedule. This is a news article? Hopefully to point out the idiocy.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Don't look at me for sympathy

I only buy clothes/shoes when they are needed, not "just because I have to have it"
But then again, I'm not a shopper either

Must be wanting donations for them to go to the media with this story

What they need to do is learn how to do without, like so many of us have to do....ALL the time
Cut out all the BS expenses that is not urgent/needed

Basically, they need to learn to manage their money to where it fits their monthly income instead of living like there's no tomorrow

Meh, no feelings here other than disgust

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

That much money in a year, means I can basically party non stop.. I've been making it on like $14,000 a year. That's how I quit smoking actually haha.

I do have a very special trick that allows this..

I have no debt.

I also always did this weird thing of running out of money and not spending more..

edit on 20-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

?
Did you actually read the article you linked to? The article is based on a story from The Globe. You buy the stories in The Globe?

So this post of yours is either a troll or you're that easily manipulated and believe it without any proof it's real. They even made corrections at the bottom of the article. The guy works between 80 and 100hrs per week. The two days makes it seem the way you intended to present it here.

Ah what's the use? There's so much hate and envy in the world. I guess that's the intent of the article. To make people feel inadequate and hate others that may be doing better than they are. Seems there's quite a few of these threads tonight. Must have something to do with Obama's Failure of the State address tomorrow night.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Did you read the OP?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What? For real?

OMG ---- I'm not going to explain, but we, a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 children are currently existing on $1000 a month. And friends.

No concerns. There are backup plans. Me and the kids have options.

But ---- what we could do with $25,000 a month.

Me --- as in gramma.

edit on 20-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Did you read the OP?
Yeah I read that and the article. How do you think I responded in detail to it?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm farting in their general direction too.

I once heard an argument from someone who thinks they are on that kind of executive salary (really they only make $150k a year) and their complaint was that if you make more then you have more expenses... ummm OK. Did you really need to buy the SL65 when the SL500 is practically the same car? What is the V12 going to do for you anyway?. No, it was your CHOICE to send your child to a private school and yet you vote for grubs that want to get rid of public education?

Seriously, there are so many people with money and no #ing brains! Live within your means!! I live in one of the richest parts of Australia (Perth's western suburbs) and the place is full of what we colloquially label as Cashed Up Bogans; ie, uneducated morons that only have the life of luxury because their great-grandfather stole some land and their grand-daddy found iron ore on it and sold it to the lowest bidder...

I worked hard in IT for 15 years before giving up and studying law, because even on a fat IT salary I still could bearly afford to live in this town.

/end rant

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What a tragic story

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
25k a month?!
Ya must be hard to make over the averge yearly income in a month.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You seem to have missed the part where I included the corrections from the article in the OP. Also the part where it says he works "up to" 80 hours a week. You can work "up to" 168 hours a week, but that doesn't mean you are actually doing it.

I highly doubt someone working at a clinic one day a week, and a university one day a week actually needs to spend that much time off the clock doing paperwork.

Why do you have a beef with the Globe?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The taxes are the problem.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

OK, Big Red Flag

$25 K gross a month would probably be more like 14k a month after taxes.

Mortgages with property tax is $4,800 of that.

But RRSP $3,000; Tuition at over 5k a month.. no freeking way unless they are paying for some kids college at a high end school?

Is this RRSP mandatory at that level?

But 2K a month for groceries? No freeking way.

$2,800 for daycare... They could hire a nanny at a fraction of that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join