It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOA won't let man park his truck in his driveway

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Freaking ridiculous. They are saying it's not a personal vehicle because it's a truck, even though he doesn't use it for work and it's registered as a personal vehicle. I would understand if it was a piece of crap sitting there rusting, but it's a nice truck.

The association wants an injunction to stop the couple from parking their pickup in the driveway of their home.

The association cites its regulations, which limits parking in driveways only to "private, passenger-type, pleasure automobiles," according to the lawsuit. The association owns all the driveways in the development, according to court filings. The Orlandos could park their pickup in their garage, but not in their driveway.

David Orlando said the pickup is his own personal. passenger vehicle and not a commercial vehicle of any sort.

I would be tempted to buy that nastiest ass car that was still road worthy and registered and park it in my driveway to spite the complainers, but it would be unfair to those that didn't take issue.

I'm not opposed to all HOAs, but it seems like far too many get a stick up their ass and what starts out as well intentioned agreed upon rules for keeping neighborhoods tolerable and property values up quickly become unreasonable. Hoping this couple win their suit.

Link

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This sounds like a job for a pea-soup puke-green AMC Gremlin.
Or maybe a hot-pink Edsel.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is what happens when you give little people big authority, they feel a need to exert said authority. That said, I'm a Brit and I don't understand why HOA's even exist, let alone have so much authority.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

There are times where I've wished there was a HOA in some houses where I've lived. Some people are filthy and completely unconcerned with how their actions affect others. People with trash and junked cars strewn about their lawns. People letting their dogs run around, people that are loud all the time.

I have one where I currently live (condo) and frankly it's been nice. I have a very stupid neighbor that does very stupid things and they keep his ass in line but leave the rest of us alone.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Freaking ridiculous. They are saying it's not a personal vehicle because it's a truck, even though he doesn't use it for work and it's registered as a personal vehicle. I would understand if it was a piece of crap sitting there rusting, but it's a nice truck.

The association wants an injunction to stop the couple from parking their pickup in the driveway of their home.

The association cites its regulations, which limits parking in driveways only to "private, passenger-type, pleasure automobiles," according to the lawsuit. The association owns all the driveways in the development, according to court filings. The Orlandos could park their pickup in their garage, but not in their driveway.

David Orlando said the pickup is his own personal. passenger vehicle and not a commercial vehicle of any sort.

I would be tempted to buy that nastiest ass car that was still road worthy and registered and park it in my driveway to spite the complainers, but it would be unfair to those that didn't take issue.

I'm not opposed to all HOAs, but it seems like far too many get a stick up their ass and what starts out as well intentioned agreed upon rules for keeping neighborhoods tolerable and property values up quickly become unreasonable. Hoping this couple win their suit.

Link

I agree that HOAs have the right to make reasonable rules. Like flag/pole size. Remember that one?

Especially since it was clearly stated in the original rules --- signed by the house owner.

But not allowing a vehicle in the driveway because it's a truck? Seriously?

And, doesn't look to me like there's anything specific in the rule dis-allowing trucks. This one is stupid.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It's their fault for being stupid enough to move into a place that is run by a HOA. They moved into a place where they don't even own the driveway? How do people get suckered into buying houses like this? Personally I think it is BS but they agreed to this crap when they bought the place maybe they should have read the contract and asked questions.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah I'm not getting how they think they have a leg to stand on.

My guess is that some people there think trucks are trashy (the same kind of people that think square footage = class). I have a feeling they would be surprised by the cost of a new truck, and even more so by just how nice they can be.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I wouldn't for a second think that part of the agreement barred a personal pickup truck from being parked in the driveway, and I'm doubting that very many lawyers who deal with HOAs would either if they went over the contract beforehand.

Agreed, I'm never going to buy property that's regulated by a HOA, but I don't think the blame really rests with these folks in this situation. Sometimes I fully blame the people that sign the contract and flagrantly break the rules, but in this case I just can't.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Why would anyone want to live in a place like that? Why have these people let themselves get brainwashed?

Better them than me I suppose.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Down here in Florida HOA's are huge. I have one, it runs $300 a year.
The association provides reclaimed water for lawns, lawn care for common areas and parks in the development and 24 hr security patrol, as well as road and sidewalk maintenance.

I think it is a fairly good deal. They keep the neighborhoods nice. If a house gets run down, it will be taken care of, as to not run down everyone else's investment. It is almost necessary here, especially with the tanked market. I have seen them deal with people with crack houses with 12 cars on their front lawns and windows covered in foil.

The other side to that coin can be overpriced fees, nosy busybodies, and all the annoyances of a small community running things like their own little government. If you are looking at a house with an HOA, I recommend studying their rules and regs, speaking with current homeowners about their experiences with them before closing. It will save some potential nightmares.

I have also seen some major problems with what are called special assessments.
They take their repairs, or what not, and attach them to your fees. I have walked from some properties with SA in the $24000 usd range. It was from a change to sewer hookup from previous septic service. They will put a lean on the properties title for unpaid Special Assessments as well as violations and HOA fees.

If they don't provide anything other than rules, than they are unneeded and being run as a business imo.
edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: Break up the run-ons

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ha haaaa! The third riech HOA! Strike again....

For the love of Squirl! ? ( can't say god anymore )

Why do people still purchase property that is governed by twits?

No I don't want to look at junk..
But that's someones stuff.. they own it!
Could they move to the desert.... sure..
But they bought a home out right....

Lol...

Keeping up with the jones's I see!

edit on 19-1-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Yeah I'm not getting how they think they have a leg to stand on.

My guess is that some people there think trucks are trashy (the same kind of people that think square footage = class). I have a feeling they would be surprised by the cost of a new truck, and even more so by just how nice they can be.

I'm a truck person. Mines not new and shiny. I have a 1977 (dent) F-350 Camper Special with 460 engine and C6 transmission.

Yeah, some people are really weird about trucks ----- and motorcycles. They seem to go together for some reason.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You do know that's kind of a rare find?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Rule 12 : NEVER buy or own property in an area controlled by a HOA .

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

my truck is awesome!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Rule 12 : NEVER buy or own property in an area controlled by a HOA .

SEEE!!!!
Double tap!

Thanks..

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Bigburgh

my truck is awesome!

Believe me I know.....and I would park that bad boy in front of a school!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Simply search

Duck commander burns leaves.. HOA.. its an episode..
While the boys are burning leaves in the fall. The wife.. who gets all the complaints.. stomps her little feet..
Don't be fooled. Her feet carry weight!

I've had my run in's.... you want to stand your grounds... go where no one else is standing!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris
This is what happens when you give little people big authority, they feel a need to exert said authority

Yeah, like when my parents were forced to repaint their mailbox because the mailbox color didn't match the colors on a list of hoa-approved mailbox colors.
Whenever I have my own house, it'll be nowhere near such ridiculous nonsense.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This guy lives in the same town I do, manlius. Fortunately, the hoa my house is in only charges $10 per year and they don't have any ridiculous rules. This guy in the article, who is 4 roads down from me, not so lucky.

This hoa he's in is known to be nasty. And they usually win in court. Maybe since this is national news this time, they will back down.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join