It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So like, I was at the bar and like I heard this girl talking like, Like, LIke, LIKe, LIKE!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
My girlfriend and I feel this way about people who say right? all the time. So much so that we started mocking them. It now slips out sometimes on accident.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
So like I was at the mall and like im never like at that mall and like there was this like guy and I was like hey and he was like hey and I was like hey and he was like hey then I was like hey then we like had a moment and it was like..like..well you know...like you and like that guy that one time at like that other guys party that was like way boring like you know like.................................................................................................................................................. ............................................................................

Then I shot myself.......

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The next time I cross paths with someone who has a problem communicating verbally without interjecting "like" and "ummm,"s
I am going to say "balls" at every pause.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Nothing the recent generations do is original, it's just all a rehash of the past. LIke dig Maynard G Krebs:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager Another pair of word that drives me crazy in conversations is "you know". Teaching your children proper language skills is very important. My daughter figured out the best way to speak was to join the debate team in high school. Talking to her as an adult when she was young helped her out. But the debate team cemented the way she communicated with everyone. She never developed any bad speech habits. Yeah!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Yo bro, lighten up man, kno what I'm sayin dog? She be Hilton yo, know what I'm sayin homie?
Sulkin be dark, ese, know what I'm sayin, don't need no hunger sh1t, yo.

que hueva down in chongland. yo?

It's not just women that riddle the kings English with new speak, dude!
edit on 20-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You just reminded me how much I love language

:-)
edit on 1/20/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Valley girl!!! Anyone remember that movie?

OMG! It was like totally bitchin'!

No, it was a really bad movie, even though I crushed on Nicholas Cage, and that was the only reason I watched it.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
My girlfriend and I feel this way about people who say right? all the time. So much so that we started mocking them. It now slips out sometimes on accident.

Like, I ummmm feel you. Right?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Riiight?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

LOL. YOlO.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Valley girl!!! Anyone remember that movie?

OMG! It was like totally bitchin'!

No, it was a really bad movie, even though I crushed on Nicholas Cage, and that was the only reason I watched it.

If I remember ...." it was like so totally tripendickular" ....lol...or something like that!
edit on 23-1-2015 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
Let me rephrase the title: "So, I was at the bar and I heard this girl talking". Notice how that worthless f&#@& sh!/ word is missing?

Mind you, I rarely eavesdrop on conversations. However, this time was different and not by choice. Even when I tried to ignore this pretty womans rambling, her repetitive lack and inability to subistute other words for 'like' turned my nice meal and drink into a torture session for my ears.

I'm not a grammar nazi by any means. I'll readily admit that my vocabulary is relatively small. Also, I understand that communication can be very abstract when vocalizing ideas and concepts. But continually using a word such as 'like' is the equivalent of hitting the person you are talking to with a hammer on the head every 5 or ten seconds.

Such as, for example, an instance, the equivalent, it's similar, etc, etc. There are many other choices that a person can use. Hell, use cuss words! I'd much rather listen to a colorful array of semi offensive language than having the 'like' jackhammer being rammed in my ear every g*d@m fifth second.

If I ever have the chance to be a dictator.......offenders will sit in a padded white room with an intercom that repeats that f^@&n word in every octave and tone for a week straight.

When I was a kid, we lived in the Valley in California and that was ALL you heard. My sister and I would make fun of it by talking like that to each other and like, as if! So like not cool man! But like, you know, and eventually we got like bored and like gag me with a spoon!

Needless to say that nonsense gets on the nerves after a bit. LOL But it was good for annoying the grown ups and other Valley Girls. As an adult? Oh please grow up and learn English.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I tend to believe it's a substitute for silence when a person is contemplating how to vocalize their thoughts. Similar to when someone uses "ummm".

And overall, I really don't mind the substitutes in moderation. It can take a lot of conscious effort to break such a habit. Though, sometimes people need a swift kick to break them of their ignorance or at least bring it to light.

THAT'S my pet peeve. LOL My dad is an "umm"er. LOL My dad will ummm, ummm, at least more times than I care to count in a conversation and he's highly intelligent, but for me all I can think of when he does it is "Please think of something to say!" I love him to death though and I understand why he does it.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
The phenomena is with females. Very unattractive, thanks goodness Im not Lesbian.

The male equivalent is "Know what I'm sayin'?" or "Know what I mean?" The repetitious verbal offenses of both genders is enough to lead you to gouge your eardrums out with a rusty fork. Deafness wold be preferable to this drivel

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Fine I'll become celibate.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
America, land of the free and the linguistic meme.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I thought that 'like, like, like' stuff had come and gone.
I thought it was an 80's thing and past .. no one did it anymore.
I guess I'm wrong ... too bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join