It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennewick Man was Native American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
 I just came across this on Dienekes blog

dienekes.blogspot.com...

Genetic analysis is still under way in Denmark, but documents obtained through the federal Freedom of Information Act say preliminary results point to a Native-American heritage. 

The researchers performing the DNA analysis “feel that Kennewick has normal, standard Native-American genetics,” according to a 2013 email to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which is responsible for the care and management of the bones. “At present there is no indication he has a different origin than North American Native American.”

Until details of the Kennewick analysis are published, there’s no way to know what other relationships his genes will reveal, Kemp said. It may never be possible to link him to specific tribes, partly because so few Native Americans in the United States have had their genomes sequenced for comparison.

The recent publication of the Kostenki-14 genome, which has been described as morphologically Australoid, but appears to be genetically European should make us wary of interpreting phenotypes of early specimens in terms of the much later human populations. In the case of Europeans, it seems that the Caucasoid genetic lineage existed even before full Caucasoid morphology had evolved (at least in some specimens of Upper Paleolithic Europeans, as others had clear Caucasoid morphology).

The original article can ve found here,

seattletimes.com...

The saga continues, I suspect he will be HG A, or HG B. I'm leaning to HG A or one of its early subclades.
I base this his on the fact that in contemporary burials on the CA coast the, maritime hunters were HG A while HG D people were all inland hunters who's diet was terrestrial animals as compared to the seals and otters and fish that the HG A people subsisted on.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Our distant ancestors were amazing-they walked far.
It was their purpose.
And in those days,it was good.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ok, I'm stumped. To me, the fact that Kennewick man is Native American seems like a 'duh'. Where exactly was the debate here?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: obscurepanda

The Northwest tribes wanted to bury the former dude, but scientists could not verify if he was Native American... so he sits in a museum.

(Its explained in the linked article in the OP)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The remains were seized by local tribes under NAGPRA Act. Despite its old age and no acompanying artifacts to ID it, it was given back and can not be examined. There are a lot artifacts which rewrite or contradict main stream history that were taken by native tribes and sit in storage. I am a member of the Navajo Nation and I sometimes don't like it when NAGPRA is used, especially when it can shed light on our past even if it contradicts my cultural teachings...

top topics

join