It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody ever get carded for a lighter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I remember being carded at Walmart when trying to buy a small bic lighter. I can't say exactly when it was, but I quit smoking in 2005 so this was going back a bit.

It didn't bother me too much because I had my license on me anyway since I had driven over, but I was slightly puzzled since... well... it was a small 99 cent bic lighter. I mean, honestly, a cracked CD case is more dangerous, or some bug spray. Either way, it was an odd occurrence that I didn't pay much mind to at the time.

It's funny though because the purchase of a lighter does not have to involve smoking, and I don't see the connection between the two that should result in an ID requirement. I don't believe one has to be 18 to purchase candles for example.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Nope .. in asia the shopkeepers happy to take your money without carding you ..

Carding seems to be another uniquely western bit of idiocy .. though with how some over here have ate too much western # wouldnt be surprised if eventually such stupidity found its way over here ..

Id be bolloxed as dont carry I.D. ...
edit on 19/1/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Tens of millions of guns on the street in America in the hands of criminals and they worry you might hurt someone with a lighter

could not make it up

watch that bic pen you might take someone's eye out with it

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
lol yes I have. Once in a weird gas station when I was 17. I gave them my card and they scrutinized it heavily. I too think that it was probably a case of someone with an inferiority complex who likes to abuse their 'authority' in order to feel like they mean something.

This is pretty hilarious though. I love the tweet.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

There shall come a day when you are actually happy someone cards you.

Of course at that point you can buy whatever you want...but nice to be asked for proof

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Indeed. I often make the day of ladies who are buying beer. Smile from ear to ear when I ask "You got your ID with you?" and they're actually 30-40 years old. May have gotten a few phone numbers that way

What kills me though is teenagers with an attitude. "Maaaan, why you ID'ing me brah? I'm like, NINETEEN years old and you wanna see my licence? For real? Gots hair on my chin. This some bull[snip]!"

Um yeah.. Had a full beard at 15. That means nothing to me. If it's an ABLE sting, $500 fine on top being fired on the spot for selling to a minor. My job isn't worth your hurt feelings and sense of entitlement.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I went to a tiny country store in the middle of nowhere. I was buying a lighter but looking at tobacco. She asked me for an I.D. and I told her sorry I wasn't buying tobacco. She said it was for the lighter! I was just as puzzled as you are. Also, I purchased injector cleaner at Wal-Mart and got carded for that as well. If I can't buy injector cleaner without an I.D., why are we allowed to pull up to a gas station and fuel our cars with gasoline without our I.D.s?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I am not from the USA but I take it the carding is for proof of age? If that's the case then you should be delighted at looking decades younger than 50! I long for the day I get asked to prove my age

Joking aside, I don't understand why they would not sell the lighters to someone who is clearly an adult or is there another reason they need to see ID?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Buttercup79

Cause stores will send in people to make sure you are doing what is required of you.

<< 1   >>

join