It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss Universe Selfie-Gate

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
wow, how childish is this, these backwards countries need to dragged into the 21st century.They legislate hate and breed hate into each new generation and then they wonder why they have been at war with each other for thousands of years.

the older generation won`t change but they should at least let the younger generation make the first small steps to putting an end to all this hate and violence.
edit on 19-1-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Backwards kinda like not allowing tourism to Cuba for six decades? Or like these dumb laws?

Laws regarding interaction with those from enemy states aren't all that unique. And like I said earlier, odds are nothing would have come from this anyway.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
I think you know its questionable. .

Um .. no. I've spent two pages saying very clearly that the photo tells the whole story ... the photo and the stupidity coming out of the government of Lebanon. So don't try to interject something on me that isn't there.

- It's obviously a selfie with four willing and happy participants who know the picture is being taken. If it was a 'stolen picture' .. they wouldn't be smiling and they wouldn't be looking into the camera.

- Young people post selfies on social media all the time. It's normal.

- There were no problems until the Lebanese gov't decided to be idiots about it.

- Now suddenly it's a supposed 'stolen picture' ... even though everyone in the picture obviously is participating in it and looking right at the camera and smiling. Stolen picture? Poppycock!

Again - the rule in Lebanon that Lebanese can't talk to or sit with an Israeli is absurd. This is why there can be no peace in the middle east. The people pushing this are idiots and just want an unending war. If two young women can't even take a happy picture together, then how the heck are the two sides ever going to be able to get along?

Like I said - Abject stupidity.

this is all your opinion

pictures dont tell the story and it is easy to use a picture to give a false narrative

u can dig your heals in and refuse to be wrong but you really dont know

maybe they the other three were talking, laughing ,having fun and miss isreal comes up says "hey" they all turn and *snap*

a picture is born

the miss lebanon says "hey dont post that you could get me in real trouble"

miss israel say "o yea?"

she uploads and of course miss lebanon has no problem... she doesnt know

until someone brings it up a few days later

all the sudden its "you were fraternizing with the israeli and u didnt care until a few days later when you were busted"

the point is you dont know and to say you do because of a picture...a single picture... is disingenuous

and there is NO reason to take one young ladies word over the other except for your own bias

edit on pm120153112America/ChicagoMon, 19 Jan 2015 12:14:04 -0600_1000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
there is NO reason to take one young ladies word over the other except for your own bias

Um .. no.

- All four young women looked right into the camera and smiled. They obviously knew the picture was being taken and they had no problem with it. It wasn't stolen and it wasn't against their will.

- There was no problem with any of this until the government of Lebanon got all huffy, then it was allegedly a problem and the Miss Israel got trashed by the Lebanese. Prior to that .. no issues.

- there was no 'just turned and snapped' ... the girls all were posed and looking right into the camera and were happy about it.

The picture speaks for itself.
All happy.
All aware of the picture being taken.
No 'surprise' picture.
No problems.

The only bias going on are those who want to blame the Israeli for some imagined conspiracy issue even though the picture shows four young girls just having fun.

ETA .. oh .. and who the heck has any 'bias' in the Miss Universe Pageant? I've never seen it let alone had skin in the game. Who freak'n cares who wins?? Epic fail.

edit on 1/19/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
How can we ever expect these cultures to live in peace when one is not even allowed to be in a photo with the other? That's clearly saying that we will never get along.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

maybe they the other three were talking, laughing ,having fun and miss isreal comes up says "hey" they all turn and *snap*

you can't be serious, hell Miss Japan is posing, Miss Slovenia is holding her cup up as if to say cheers, if they had enough time to do that before as you said Miss Israel said hey then snap, surly Miss Lebanon had enough time to step away or turn her back to the camera.

no she was there cutting up having a good time and when the folks back home saw it and said something she started covering her butt, which i might tune in to see it in the swimsuit portion, she is kinda fine. just the dog in me.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Such a strange law would never be enacted without the sos infiltrating the holy land?

Where's all the crying about diplomats posing at peace talks?

News filler to rub us the wrong way, keep us squabbling about who makes the best candy cane at Christmas?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

a reply to: FlyersFan

you can say what you want but you would be wrong and there is nothing you can say to prove your bias

To get the whole picture, sometimes you need more than a picture
Hindsight is a cruel mistress. And these days, when our smart phone cameras leave us all stranded on the corner of Instagram and Vine, when we've all become auto-paparazzi, endlessly documenting our every random moment, then publishing it to the world, hindsight is nearly perpetual: If we're not taking photos of ourselves, we're analyzing our self-portraits, and fretting over our choices.....

The problem with photographs is that they provide selective but seductive evidence: There is always more to the story than the picture contains, but images are so compelling, we can't help but believe they contain the Whole Truth, and that truth leaves no room for embellishment, for mythmaking, for wonder....

Perfectly good stories don't need to be ruined by eyewitnesses.

link to article

what is happening in this picture?

when it was printed it was a heroic image of a man facing his death superman style . a man who was going to die . it didnt tell the whole story . the whole story is much more of a mess.

to say you know what was happening at the moment that photo was snapped...well is just more propaganda

ETA i dont know what happened and i dislike ALL government . but i will NEVER trust a photo. especially a SINGLE photo. you shouldnt either.no matter what story is being pushed
edit on pm120153102America/ChicagoMon, 19 Jan 2015 14:38:52 -0600_1000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Miss Universe Selfie-gate. How dare young women from neighboring countries actually sit together and get along! The shame and scandal!

So much for the staple beauty-pageant answer of:

"My biggest hope is the hope for world peace"

edit on 1/19/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The only thing I take away from that picture is that there were people in such dire condition (flames at their backs) that in their minds and in their state of mind, jumping was their best option for survival.

That's all; no heroics required (or asked for) by that image.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is the dumbest thing ever to get your panties in a wad about.

I hated that either of these girls felt they had to apologize. Hate even more that they did.

Bunch of girls together. Get over it

Dumb! Just really, really Dumb!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Who cares that the selfie has an Israeli and Palestinian!

They can get along if they have no pre-conceived
notions and prejudices about others.

On the male-hormone side, they're all pretty HOT LOOKING!

Oh Yeah!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

The only thing I take away from that picture is that there were people in such dire condition (flames at their backs) that in their minds and in their state of mind, jumping was their best option for survival.

That's all; no heroics required (or asked for) by that image.

its what it was passed off as that makes this image disturbing

Unlike other iconic photographs of 9/11 which focus on the collapsing towers, terrified crowds or even people hanging out of the burning shells of the buildings, Drew's image captured a single unidentified victim falling 1300 feet to his death. He is frozen in mid-air inprefect geometric balance with the architectural lines. His arms are close to his body, one leg isslightly bent as if trying to push himself further down. His posture, as captured in the moment,can be read either as almost accepting or compliant (if not even willful), or by contrast,rebellious: if he is to die, it will be the way he chooses.

article

it is a photo taken out of context
edit on pm120153103America/ChicagoMon, 19 Jan 2015 15:00:14 -0600_1000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A reflection of the problems our world faces on a daily basis. I'm sure she doesn't want to get stoned for having her picture taken with an Israeli. Not much else to say.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I think you are getting worked up over one interpretation of that image.

I think most people feel what I felt -- i.e., this person must have been in a desperate state of mind (and maybe not in a normal state of mind) to have felt jumping was the best thing to do.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

I think you are getting worked up over one interpretation of that image.

I think most people feel what I felt -- i.e., this person must have been in a desperate state of mind (and maybe not in a normal state of mind) to have felt jumping was the best thing to do.

no im pointing out that people shouldnt get worked up by interpreting an image they dont know the context of. something that has been done by many in this thread. i will give examples if if u need

see op

ETA his state of mind has nothing to do with the interpretation of others. it doesnt matter . what matters is how it was used . without context u might thing the same as i quoted in the article above

the truth?

he was a man falling twisting flailing on a 1000 ft fall to his death

the ponit is

you cant determine what was going on from a single picture like many are doing in this thread

geez that pic was just an example of how one pic does not a story make

edit on pm120153103America/ChicagoMon, 19 Jan 2015 15:21:11 -0600_1000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I was thinking nude Jello wrestling...

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

you can say what you want but you would be wrong and there is nothing you can say to prove your bias

brilliant.

Again ... no. The picture is obvious. No one jumped in at the last minute and stole a picture from three other unsuspecting girls. All four were looking into the camera and smiling and posed.

To claim I have bias in this is absurd. I don't give a rats backend about either Israel or Lebanon and I couldn't care less who wins the pageant. So again ... epic fail on your part.

However, considering how hard you are trying to spin this ... I'm thinking you might want to check your own level of bias. Good luck with that.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Miss Lebanon Saly Griege threw Miss Israel Doron Matalon under the bus

Take a look at the photo in the link above. Sure doesn't look photobombed to me.

I'm surprised at the Lebanon laws against the Lebanese fraternizing with people from Israel. I'm surprised at the childish outrage of the people of Lebanon against these women sitting together and getting along. I'm shocked at how quickly Miss Lebanon threw her new buddy, Miss Israel, under the bus.

these all show bias. u refuse to believe the young lady from lebanon

The problem with photographs is that they provide selective but seductive evidence: There is always more to the story than the picture contains, but images are so compelling, we can't help but believe they contain the Whole Truth, and that truth leaves no room for embellishment, for mythmaking, for wonder....

you are falling prey to the above bolded text

its "obvious" what this man is doing

He is frozen in mid-air inprefect geometric balance with the architectural lines. His arms are close to his body, one leg isslightly bent as if trying to push himself further down. His posture, as captured in the moment,can be read either as almost accepting or compliant (if not even willful), or by contrast,rebellious: if he is to die, it will be the way he chooses.

until you see this

even the journalist who first published these photos believed he knew what was going on until he saw the rest of the photos. then he realized what was really happening in "the falling man"

now im not saying i know what is happening in the op photo. im just saying you dont either

but it seems you have already made up your mind

ETA you bias is in who you believe not in the pageant . just for clarification

edit on pm120153105America/ChicagoMon, 19 Jan 2015 17:11:43 -0600_1000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

these all show bias. u refuse to believe the young lady from lebanon

I don't believe her for the reasons I've already posted. That's not 'bias'. That's coming to a logical conclusion based on the evidence in front of me. Her story rings hollow when compared to the picture. They don't match up.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join