It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone good with Youtube vid creation focusing on the vocals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The little equipment I have is a sure stage performance microphone and the USB connector that SURE made to be able to hook one up to a USB port on a laptop. Oh, and I have a laptop as well

Where I seem to be utterly lacking is in the knowhow to create a decent sounding recording of my singing to post on Youtube. This is what I'm hoping to find someone with experience in that can offer advice.......

Thanks!

-NF

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
shure mics like 57, 58 are ok for live band singing ,,but i think you need a condenser mic /or if you can afford it a tube condenser mic,also you would require a music audio compressor to affect the signal after recording or during.(this will bring the peaks down to human hearing range this can done by software.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The big problem you have is that you want to create a great sound without the right tools and little or no experience.

If this is something you want to do regularly then I suggest you buy a budget condenser mic,pop shield, a dedicated external audio interface, some proper headphones and a decent audio recording software package.

You will also need to consider the size and shape of the room and experiment with the positioning of your mic.

The better the signal you get in the less trouble you will have post mixing.

On the other hand if you only intend to upload to youtube then the audio compression used and the fact that most viewers will be using laptop or smartphone/tablet speakers may make the better equiptment redundant and you should focus on mic placement and after effects like compression and reverb.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I too, run a recording studio. Here's some advice, for using what resources you have:

- record in a medium to large sized room.
- make sure there are no devices running they do increase your noise floor. No fridge, no computer, no fans, not even a cell phone on vibrate.
- make a blanket fort. The more absorbative material on the walls, the less reverb.

And the biggest advice I can give on that particular mic:

- do not sing straight into the mic. You are most likely causing harmonic distortion. Boost the mic to eye level, aiming it down 45 degrees at your chest. Sing under the plane of the diaphragm. The recording will pick up the lows in your chest and the mids of your mouth, without the mud.

I really really really don't recommend using compression, if you don't know how to use it. Not even on presets. Louder signal without dynamic, will defeat what you're trying to achieve.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
You can also get a cheap mixer. ..with which you can make any mic sound good. Good or better mics gof course help. .but so does having bass, highs, mids being able to be adjusted per channel for the best sound.

There are many mixer processors on line.

An expensive mic into a computer alone isnt enough

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: shefskitchen

As opposed to the asses that felt free to chime in about how I was wanting something for nothing...when I was asking for *advice*...which, could very well have been about hardware as well....

You actually gave me advice, adhering to the situation, working with what I said I had on hand.

Thank you, shefskitchen, thank you

-NF

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

The big problem you have is that you want to create a great sound without the right tools and little or no experience.

You surely woke up on the wrong side of the bed, now, didn't you?

You surely must have been born with a working knowledge of all things, didn't you?

You surely must not have anything when it comes to empathy for someone asking you a sincere question ?

Now listen. Beggars cannot be choosers. I get that. But, does the transverse somehow grant you the anointed powers to come across as a a smug, no, an effete ass?

Really? THANK YOU FOR POINTING THESE THINGS OUT! I have bad equipment? REALLY? I have little to no experience? NO F%^%ing way!!!!

And here the whole time I thought I was just going to walk in and just "do it". But wait, I'm here dealing with an ass like yourself.

-NF

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
After pondering the average post response to my *question, request for advice*....

I am officially closing this thread. The overwhelming number of inflated heads...the number of those who actually only responded with a negative, rather than even trying to understand what problems I was facing (which, I specifically left open ended, as I wasn't sure about *all* the issues I am dealing with)......The sheer negativity...

You know, I hope I'm driving by some of you on the road some day. That you need help. Or advice...

-NF

top topics

join