It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a white man love a black man?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
why ask such a question love regardless will always win

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm a huge boxing fan, (glad to see Wilder win last night), so obviously I'm a massive Ali fan, however I've always found Joe Louis to be a slight step above in terms of accomplishments for race.

For those who don't know Joe Louis was the second ever African American boxing champion. Once he became champ he refused to be called such until he beat Max Schmelling, the only man to have ever beaten Louis before. In 1938 the rematch was set to take place. This wasn't an ordinary boxing match though as Max was German. The Nazi's touted that a black man could never beat a white man and that Schmelling would use his money from the fight to build German tanks. It was a fight on the grandest of stages. Not just about boxing but about race and politics. FDR even called Louis to the White House and said "Joe we need muscles like yours to beat Germany". Louis ended up getting a ko in the first round. He became a hero to whites for proving the superiority of democracy and America over Nazis and facism. To blacks he proved that all men were created equal. A sports writer wrote one of the greatest quotes ever about Louis - "Joe Louis is a credit to his race - the human race."

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rollinondubs

Awesome story! I had never heard that before... gods, I hate Nazis.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Loving your neighbors wife can get you into trouble.

Camouflage Ricky.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This is a weird thread asking a strange question. I have friends of many different races that I love. I don't really get the point of this or why you have a Muhammad Ali fetish?!?

edit on 2015/1/18 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Can a man love a man? Acording to a lot of people on this site no, that's the end of all things!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollinondubs
I'm a huge boxing fan, (glad to see Wilder win last night), so obviously I'm a massive Ali fan, however I've always found Joe Louis to be a slight step above in terms of accomplishments for race.

For those who don't know Joe Louis was the second ever African American boxing champion. Once he became champ he refused to be called such until he beat Max Schmelling, the only man to have ever beaten Louis before. In 1938 the rematch was set to take place. This wasn't an ordinary boxing match though as Max was German. The Nazi's touted that a black man could never beat a white man and that Schmelling would use his money from the fight to build German tanks. It was a fight on the grandest of stages. Not just about boxing but about race and politics. FDR even called Louis to the White House and said "Joe we need muscles like yours to beat Germany". Louis ended up getting a ko in the first round. He became a hero to whites for proving the superiority of democracy and America over Nazis and facism. To blacks he proved that all men were created equal. A sports writer wrote one of the greatest quotes ever about Louis - "Joe Louis is a credit to his race - the human race."

You are definitely a fan. What a great post.

a reply to: Metallicus

This is a weird thread asking a strange question.

Golly, does the question really sound weird? I just never considered that!
edit on Rpm11815v22201500000051 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
What the? Of course a white man can love a black man. A black man can love a white man. All races intermix, love knows no bounds. I'm not a fan of Muhammed Ali. I prefer Tyson

Cold, brutal, ferocious, comical. Tyson

HA HA he is becoming very zen like as he ages.
I think he may be getting soft.

eta don't tell him i typed that!
edit on 18-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

Yes race and sports was always a thing,especially in the U.S ever heard of Jack Johnson the Boxer,not the singer?? at the turn of the century he became world champ after hounding the undefeated Champ out of retirement,back in those days blacks could not get a title shot,the sport was considered the ultimate sport for white men whose physical and intellectual ability the Black man did not possess, losing out to a black was deemed such a disgrace it would caused riots and lynchings, he was cocky,he raced cars,built businesses,had white wives and girl friends a definite no no back in those days,not following the eat humble pie image of his day,one thing during times of war,there is always a call for unity and putting way differences but after conflict things usually get back to what it had been,the post WWII generation changed all that.
edit on 18-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

The Schmeling/Nazi connection was largely a construct of American media and boxing promoters, rather than anything based on reality. Schmeling retained his German citizenship and, when he lost the title to Louis he went back to Germany and was promptly drafted. His biography is interesting, however, in that the man actually protected and saved quite a few Jews after his return to Germany. He was also one of the few Germans to get away with openly thumbing his nose at Hitler. Overall he was not a bad guy, rather was a victim of rabid media propaganda from both sides and guilt by association.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

the question should really be is it possible for black folks to love white folks,

In the OP, I could only ask the questions from my perspective of a white man.
A solid post IMO.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm white, my 19 year old daughter is dating a black man her age. They kept their dating secret from me for a few months. Not sure why. I'm not a racist. But I am a fiercely protective father.

Thing is, this young man is hard working, going to college, very intelligent, has a bright future, and I am seeing all of the qualities I would like to see in a son-in-law.

I'm not seeing any issue with race at all... What does that make me?

True story.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

the question should really be is it possible for black folks to love white folks,

In the OP, I could only ask the questions from my perspective of a white man.
A solid post IMO.

I know brother, the question is deep and showed respect for ability and character over accident of birth, I was just making the point given the bad history, is it possible for Black folks to love White folks, the ans is most definitely yes,for the reasons pointed above,respect of ability and strength of character tends trump all else.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

My post certainly wasn't vague for you was it?

a reply to: ausername

What does that make me?

It makes you a father.
edit on Rpm11815v572015u16 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
I'm white, my 19 year old daughter is dating a black man her age. They kept their dating secret from me for a few months. Not sure why. I'm not a racist. But I am a fiercely protective father.

Thing is, this young man is hard working, going to college, very intelligent, has a bright future, and I am seeing all of the qualities I would like to see in a son-in-law.

I'm not seeing any issue with race at all... What does that make me?

True story.

Maybe they kept it secret for a second was not so much out of a race issue,but meeting someones dad can be a tad nerve racking especially if your daughter knew you don't put up with no stuff,when I was dating I tried not seeing any ones pops she would have to drag me kicking,dads can be mean and scrutinizing when it come to their daughters I know I am.

edit on 18-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

No I got it, I was responding to another poster about the context of the time in Ali's era,of how and why he may have made unflattering generalizations about white folks.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I'm with you Spider. My threads are often a lil vague as some
others don't get it, or just don't want to get it. But that's ok.
I'm just not going to pursue thier understanding.
edit on Rpm11815v242015u32 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I think interracial love between all races is beautiful.

Love can overcome all obsticales. . . .. . .

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'm white. I only call very few people, counted on one hand, friend. Of those, my best friend is a black man. There is no one whom I would more willingly trust with my life.
edit on 1/18/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is a very intresting thread. It reminds me of a comment made in the Phil Spector movie. Phil Spector (al pachino) says that Martin luthor king didn't bring about civil rights, he did. Meaning that it wasn't the political leaders who helped end the blatant racism of the pre 70's. It was heroic figures like Jimi Hendrix, Ali, Jackie robenson and such.

I personally would define racism as the belief that all or some races are genetically inferior to your race. Well that stuff really doesn't fly when one of your Heros is the race your supposed to be better than.

Since Phil Spector ws the promoter who piped Jimi Hendrix into the homes (and cars) of the white youth of America. It was him that was the major player in changing the hearts and minds of America.

Everyone knows some one of another race smarter, faster and stronger then them, so it's far harder to assume people are inferior by nature. Now we have far more subtle racism based more on preferences then then the past.

It's rarely mentioned that the end of slavery and civil rights never happens without the whites who championed them. A black only slave revolt whould have been slaughtered...

Interesting post.

edit on 18-1-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join