It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pinckney Held in Michigan in Violation of Article 48 of the Geneva Convention

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Sure he's "on the side of the poor" ....

>
>>
>>>
As long as he can direct things from his ivory tower
>>>
>>
>

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think this was the write-in vote to force the recall of the Mayor. They had to get so many signatures on a petition and when the petition was turned in, there were a handful that were challenged as being forged (out of several thousand). There was a court case over it and handwriting experts were called to testify. I didn't follow the case closely but I don't think forgery was proved, but he was convicted anyway.

It is alleged that one juror in the case lied about being known personally to the prosecuting attorney and thus avoided being excluded from serving.

People should remember that this is very political. Convictions in cases like this are very suspect a lot of the time.
edit on 18-1-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think he's in the trenches. He's taking some pretty brutal hits for his constituency, so to speak.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: neo96

The entire foundation of modern society is obey the law

You said this.
Or does that not imply to laws about treatment of people you feel don't deserve it?

The man is not a prisoner of war and as such does not fall under the purview of th egeneva convention. Nor is he a refugee in a war zone,and is doubly screwed out of its protection. Now he can claim to be at war with the US government and declare himself a country unto himself and formally serve papers of war to the US government. Then he could claim GENEVA status.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Cutting of water is also a problem in Canada, as I experienced that difficulty myself, being behind $1300 in municipal taxes. My house was up for sale, but they would not grant me an extension until the house was sold. So my real estate agent procured a loan for me at a whopping 73% interest, no thanks for the illegal % and usury, RBC! When down on one's luck you cannot believe how many bloodsuckers there are out there to make things worse. Just telling you that to underline how much of a difference this special man must have made in the lives of the people he helped. Thanks for exposing this.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Then he should appeal the conviction.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

My whatever the hell did people do before 'public water works' came along.

I think we can both figure that out. Either drink from a river or a dug well. Good luck on finding any uncontaminated with fertilizers and chemical pollutants.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Takes all of 5 minutes to put a bucket underneath the sky for fresh water.

Takes about the same amount of time to stick a barrel underneath the downspout of rain gutter from the roof.

It's threads like this that just reaffirms my belief that I live in the worlds largest zoo.

That if something ever happened to our care takers the wildlife is unable to fend for themselves.

Hell it's the same rationale when they say 'don't feed' the animals'.

Mainly because it creates dependency.

Where they are unable to return to the wild.
edit on 18-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Sorry, the UN is not the law of the land in the US.

So, are you saying that I, as a taxpayer, must foot the bill for people who claim to not be able to pay, when my own bills take a large part of my income? When I cannot avoid luxuries and mus do without?
Just no.

With no oversight as to whether these people are truly in need....or just feel they shouldn't have to pay.

Water maybe a human right by some....but getting it to your door, and sanitizing it, is not free.
Who's gonna pay??

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Takes all of 5 minutes to put a bucket underneath the sky for fresh water.

When it rains.

Takes about the same amount of time to stick a barrel underneath the downspout of rain gutter from the roof.

Still, only when it rains and you have a house with a downspout.

It's threads like this that just reaffirms my belief that I live in the worlds largest zoo.

That if something ever happened to our care takers the wildlife is unable to fend for themselves.

What wildlife? We talking about human city dwellers or squirrels?

Hell it's the same rationale when they say 'don't feed' the animals'.

So you're insinuating these folks are like animals and we shouldn't feed them because they gots no dough?

Mainly because it creates dependency.

Where they are unable to return to the wild.

Yes... that's what we need. Humans 'returning to the wild'. Should make for interesting situations out in the countryside. I'm getting all kinds of scenarios like the Walking Dead out there.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

What wildlife? We talking about human city dwellers or squirrels?

Stating a fact.

After watching the occupy movement, Ferguson, and NYC. American's may call themselves 'civilized' the reality is anything but.

IE WILDLIFE.

So you're insinuating these folks are like animals and we shouldn't feed them because they gots no dough?

So now it's feed them, Thought it was about water.

Like walking over to the neighbors is hard or the endless government programs.

edit on 18-1-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Hey... you're the one that said "don't feed the animals", not me.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Water is not a 'human' right.

Yeah..it's right up there with food as not a human right!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

a reply to: Sremmos80

The worst is this.

That guy could have done any number of things from water drives to taking up collections for them.

What HE, and the rest of us here don't have the right to pick, and choose what laws to follow, and which ones to ignore.

The entire foundation of modern society is obey the law.

Hell there are a snip loads of laws I dislike, but I don't break them.

Those that support this support anarchy.

If he doesn't, I don't, and no one else has to.

What?!?

You rant and rave against big government the encroaching police state, then post this? Why not just admit you are mistaken?

No, water IS a human right. It is a requirement for living. A wild human, were there such a thing, would drink from any water source it found. Hell, animals are allowed to drink water without being arrested. Natural Law.....

And we all absolutely DO have the right to pick and choose which laws we want to follow. Refusing to follow an unjust law is within your right 100%. Yes, you may suffer the hand of tyranny for your civil disobedience....but protest damned well is a right we all have. Turning on poor peoples water is an act of civil disobedience against unjust laws. A protest against the substandard treatment of humans by other humans.

If the role of society is not to provide the basics of life, the bare necessities (water seeming to be one of them and in everyones best interest for sanitation reasons), then what good is society?
edit on 1/18/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Indeed what ?

Big government isn't who put him in jail.

A little one did.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

You are right..i misspoke. I meant to say "police state"....and put the wrong phrase in.

However, the remainder of my post regarding civil disobedience....would still be unchanged.

ETA: there...i edited the correction.
edit on 1/18/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Sorry, the UN is not the law of the land in the US.

So, are you saying that I, as a taxpayer, must foot the bill for people who claim to not be able to pay, when my own bills take a large part of my income? When I cannot avoid luxuries and mus do without?
Just no.

With no oversight as to whether these people are truly in need....or just feel they shouldn't have to pay.

Water maybe a human right by some....but getting it to your door, and sanitizing it, is not free.
Who's gonna pay??

Society. If someone cannot afford water, how do you ever expect them to work themselves up in a position to be able to cover the costs in the future?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
People interested in the water issue in Detroit might want to read this linked article. It gives a good overview of what has been going on, with different points of view on causes and cures and some of the wider financial maneuverings in the background.

Only eighty-nine million dollars in overdue water payments is what is at stake for the city and roughly half of those arrears are owed by businesses who are not being treated as harshly as ordinary citizens.

www.theguardian.com...

There is widespread anger, too, that homes have been targeted before the 21,000 delinquent businesses, schools and other non-residential properties, which together owe $46m. City officials claim that cutting off supplies in commercial properties is “more complicated”, and that more shut-off crews must first be hired and trained.

Eighty thousand residents are behind in their payments.

This is an example of the financial snakes and ladders moves involved in the situation:

About half of $1.16bn in bonds issued by the city for the water and sewer department in 2011-12 – $547m – was used to pay for termination fees to major Wall Street banks after the contractual cancellation of financial deals because of a downgrade in the city’s credit rating.

The city is showing signs of "giving up the ghost" on water, intending to privatize the water supply, which, based on other jurisdictions, will drive water rates even higher. I don't know if Dante had a circle of hell reserved for insane bureaucrats, but he should have had.

I'm glad Article 48 of the Geneva Convention exists, even if it doesn't apply to penal institutions in Michigan, because it does give a yardstick with which to judge the picayune, nasty attitude of the authorities of those places in not forwarding Rev. Pinckney's mail from one prison to another.

What is America coming to?
edit on 19-1-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

who is famous for getting a monkey wrench and going around turning on the water supply of poor people,

Sounds like he is getting a taste of his own medicine.

He already is in prison.

It is a rule one is allowed mail in prison.

But hey who needs due process and rule of law if your neo!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I don't give a rats snip what the UN says.

They aren't the 'boss' of Americans.

Then the US should withdraw from the UN

Until it does yes it is the boss and its under UN law and the geneva convention.

Dont like it? Tough vote for a president that will withdraw you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join