It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think anything you do matters?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think this where the realm of fiction and comics gain a better idea of "Purpose", or an "Objective Reality" if you'd preffer.

edit on 24-1-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I agree that it's true that nothing ultimately matters. I am an atheist. I don't believe in a cosmic jury paying out benefits for those that do good. I don't believe we have souls or that an afterlife exists. I cringe whenever I hear the phrase "He/she will be with their loved ones now."

However, we do have this one existence and "what matters" is subjective to every individual in relation to that. It goes for everyone:

* The nurse who's dedicated his/her life to aiding others, they've made a difference in their mind and other's minds as well.
* The (rare) politician who has made a positive difference in society and laws
* The teachers
* The parents raising their children into good lives
* The people helping animals
* The bricklayer creating buildings that will stand for decades if not longer
* The musicians and other artists bringing their emotions and meaning into other's lives.

While these and countless other examples haven't done anything to prevent the eventual and very likely destruction of the planet or end of our species, they've mattered to themselves and to the people they affected around them. Those that perform "evil" or negative acts have also made a difference - just not good ones.

I've struggled with what I want my life to mean to me. I've frequently found myself trapped in the "meaningless" sector of life because I have no particular cause that drives me and also succumb to the thought that it "doesn't matter anyway." I'm still struggling to discover where I want to focus, if I CAN focus, and whether or not it's too late at this point in my life to make that difference that I still don't have an understanding of. I find myself somewhat amazed and a little jealous of people that seem to know what they want early in life and follow that direction to it's pinnacle because I've never had that.
Will it ultimately matter? Nope. But, I'd like to think I made some positive effect on the world that is somehow.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Skaffa

Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things unseen.

Sounds to me like you believe it by faith, and you'll know soon enough. You're under contract with the living God. There isn't anything in this life better to believe then that. It increases the intensity of the here and now with huge benefits to boot.

It also opens the way for us to know that we know. It's true.

Go have a dream about it tonight.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LetsMotivate

Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things unseen. Sounds to me like you believe it by faith.

You're talking about belief.
Faith and belief aren't always in juxtaposition. And hope isn't evidence for anything but hope itself.

We must here make a clear distinction between belief and faith, because, in general practice, belief has come to mean a state of mind which is almost the opposite of faith. Belief, as I use the word here, is the insistence that the truth is what one would “lief” or wish it to be. The believer will open his mind to the truth on condition that it fits in with his preconceived ideas and wishes. Faith, on the other hand, is an unreserved opening of the mind to the truth, whatever it may turn out to be. Faith has no preconceptions; it is a plunge into the unknown. - Alan Watts

So far, I take more enjoyment out of the ''plunge'' than any amount of belief could offer me.
I guess you're partly right though, I have faith that there COULD be something more, but no belief.
Beliefs just lead us astray, there are no definite answers, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't need to believe in a God, I'll try to be the best human I can be by my own terms.
Ethical, moral truth isn't external, it is inside one's self, Godly or not.
So in a healthy society, bibles and beliefs are redundant.

Even if I could believe, it wouldn't ever give me more meaning or intensity to life than I already have.
It would shift my focus unnecessarily from the amazement and beauty found around me right here, to the hypothetical.. to wishful thinking.

This may not make sense.. I'm kinda drunk ATM.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
How can you comprehend the vastness of the universe and of consciousness and still go on to continue thinking that anything you do really matters from a non karmic/ etheric perspective?

Does anything really matter? Everything we do and will do on this earth and in this universe will be destroyed, the physical memory of it will be destroyed. We are stuck on an infinite life/death loop with no hope for escape.

I exist therefore I am. What I do matters to me. What I do matters to the people who count on me. I have the ultimate out. When I die, I won't exist. A spec in time. I'm really okay with that.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

That we should do, according to who? Why let the "other" judge you. You are a sovereign person/soul with individuality, higher function (than animals) and uniqueness. I refuse to denigrate myself as if what I do doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. I'm not advocating having excessive pride or a selfish ego. But we need a bit of both to navigate this life, learn, explore and the most important of all LOVE

Hi there. You're on the right track. Please finish the thought on your last sentence and show me you know what the construction of light really means?

As far as your question to me...have you ever been in a situation where you could have been more patient but were not? Or could have been more kind and you were not? That's what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with an outside influencer. It has everything to do with replication.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Skaffa

I guess you're partly right though, I have faith that there COULD be something more, but no belief.

Consider this, there are different types of faith/belief combinations. Two actually.

One is an external thing. For example, I have faith that I could buy a 1965 Shelby Cobra Mustang but no belief I'll get it because I don't have a income to support the purchase. I could put this faith & belief side-by-side all day long and they provide nothing meaningful together or apart.

The other faith/belief combination is an internal thing and impossible to deny. The reason it's impossible is because together the prove who you are as a person. Whatever thought you react to is your belief and the fact that you reacted to it shows you have faith in it. This faith/belief is impossible to pull apart. It can't be done. For example...

You mention that you try and be the best person you can be. What does that mean? You're kind? Let's just say it means you're kind for now so I can't show my point. If you express kindness then that's your belief. The mere expression shows you have faith in it, otherwise you wouldn't express it. You're faith would be in something else...like unkind, or...don't feel like being kind right now.

And true enough, as you comment and I paraphrase...beliefs like religion are redundant, misuse of the bible is redundant..no one needs that.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join