It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you think anything you do matters?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: FlyersFan

Ive been going back and forth about the actuality of the existence of something ethereal.

Don't bother... I Think, therefore you Exist.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Does anything really matter?

What I do in life matters to me, so yes it does matter...

edit on 21-1-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

It's the things we don't do but have been made aware that we should do that matter most.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Nothing matters and to me that's just #ing awesome. As someone here wrote, a river doesn't need a reason to run, and likewise a heart doesn't need a reason to beat. The problem is that we are brought up to think in symbols. Symbols are abstract concepts about the world, and our mind works as a kind of spotlight which can only illuminate one symbol at a time. Hence we can only think one thought at a time and we can arrange our thoughts with our memory.

The problem is that we ascribe far too much of "ourselves" into these symbols. Like "I AM an electrician, I AM a democrat, I AM Michael and so on. We believe that we ARE these abstract concepts - like these words are authorities on who we really are. We get utterly lost in this maze of symbols, we think thousands of thoughts that really don't help us find the way out. For something to "matter" there must be some action that points to something else, but this is only in the abstract world of the human mind. The "real world" (the "universe") AS IT IS of itself, in all it's suchness, does NOT point to anything outside of itself.

When the mind is still, you'll find that nothing matters but that EVERYTHING matters just because nothing matters

edit on 22-1-2015 by Funafuti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It doesn't on a universe scale, but even the biggest things are made of little things.

Just because you can't see exactly what effect your life had on the universe doesn't mean it didn't matter.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I was thinking about this since I was a kid.

The "System" is making slaves out of humans and thats just a fact.

Even if some people think that they have the best job ever it's still WORK that gives you money and this is a requirememt for a 'normal' life.

Even if you don't have a Job you still are a Slave of this System.
There are people in this world that speak their own language and never heard about money And they are happy.

In my opinion those are the only people that are truly free like wild animals.

I'm more of a Atheist but I believe that one day our planet will take back what once belonged to it...

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
We are atoms that can love and be happy and transform other atoms.

Be happy.

Love.

Help other atoms be happy and love them.

There is no such thing as time.

Just atoms that can form together and be happy for eternity.

Cool, huh?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Does anything really matter? Everything we do and will do on this earth and in this universe will be destroyed, the physical memory of it will be destroyed

Of course it matters, it also matters that you stay detached.

Nothing is destroyed, it only changes form, energy & matter do not cease to exist.

Memory persists - same as soul continues.

I starred you anyway

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I have been in existential crisis since I learned to speak

I came late to the party - teen years, I think thats what they call teenage angst. Laughter is good.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I don't know if I'm being even remotely clear with this

You make perfect sense, after all my search for meaning, I have come to similar conclusions. There is only the now. Time is the illusion from which pain comes.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Everything you do matters. You are your universe.

(Yes, I just watched The Egg.)

Seriously, though, everything you do does matter...to you, to those around you, to the universe. Things can't all be grand gestures or show an immediate reward (in the sense that you realize then and there that something you did mattered).

Yes and our actions, energies ect are all theater related and relative. You might be playing off Broadway but its your Broadway baby. Ever see a real good band, singer ect in some small dive? Sure you have if you have been around. It really doesn't matter whats going on at Madison Square Garden that night.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LetsMotivate

Its the things we don't do but have been made aware that we should do that matter most.

That we should do, according to who? Why let the "other" judge you. You are a sovereign person/soul with individuality, higher function (than animals) and uniqueness. I refuse to denigrate myself as if what I do doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. I'm not advocating having excessive pride or a selfish ego. But we need a bit of both to navigate this life, learn, explore and the most important of all LOVE

The things that you dont do you will do when the time is right for you.

BTW Nihilism is no fun

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Funafuti

The problem is that we ascribe far too much of "ourselves" into these symbols. Like "I AM an electrician, I AM a democrat, I AM Michael and so on. We believe that we ARE these abstract concepts

This is so true, we are so much more than the "roles, labels" placed on us as if our essential isness is narrowly defined by our earning capacity or materialist possessions.

When the mind is still, you'll find that nothing matters but that EVERYTHING matters just because nothing matters

Well said..."when the mind is still". I've found some of Echkart Tolles writings inspirational.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Eagleyedobserver

I'm more of a Atheist but I believe that one day our planet will take back what once belonged to it...

Not trying to be antagonist but what makes you think we are not of this earth. You show a non-atheistic fervour with such a statement. We are all connected with the earth. We are her children and we are also her father/mother. Why else would the earth be in that perfect position from the Sun to sustain life?

I believe

belief
DEFN
noun
an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.
trust, faith, or confidence in (someone or something).
So you aren't really an atheist, see what I mean

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It's all relative, like everything else.

To me, things matter.

To the rest of the universe.. not so much probably.

But no one really knows and I wouldn't even want to know either, the uncertainty is just part of the fun, oddly enough it makes life seem more meaningful.

For instance, if I knew there was an afterlife, it would likely make this life seem less important.
The same thing would be true if I knew that nothing truly mattered.

No one knows whether or not our lives matter or have ''purpose'', so we might as well enjoy the ride, nihilism just isn't worth it unless you're some kind of masochist and unconsciously/consciously like being depressed.
edit on 23-1-2015 by Skaffa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Skaffa

No one knows whether or not our lives matter or have ''purpose'', so we might as well enjoy the ride, ...

I'm not trying to be confrontational but I am going to disagree with your statement in part.

Everyone knows their purpose whether they recall "the deal" or not. Our individual and collective purpose is to have the Creator replicated in us. Why? So the Creator can enjoy creation through us. As long as we hold to that contract then we can do whatever else we want (enjoy the ride); that's where free will applies.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LetsMotivate

This is the theory of life I most adhere to, but I can not believe in it because it is still not possible to KNOW this as fact.

This does not negate the uncertainty.

I've had my share of ''mystical'' experiences pointing towards this idea, but I choose not to take them too seriously.
I don't want to know, and if true, I don't think we're supposed to know because it would remove meaning and intensity from the here and now.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

How can you comprehend the vastness of the universe and of consciousness and still go on to continue thinking that anything you do really matters from a non karmic/ etheric perspective?

Does anything really matter? Everything we do and will do on this earth and in this universe will be destroyed, the physical memory of it will be destroyed. We are stuck on an infinite life/death loop with no hope for escape.

A person should do what they want to. A good outcome is a happy side effect.

Don't hurt other persons, otherwise do what you want to. Live and learn.

The cosmos or God made you want it in the first place, so it should be karmic.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Of course none of it matters! That's what's so liberating. You're then free to choose your own path, create your own system, follow your own perspectives, consciously direct your own course in life. If for nothing else, then the fact that life is boring without awe, mystery, curiosity, and growth. Do I seem to contradict myself? This information wasn't for you then.. no worries... because, of course, it doesn't really matter, anyways.

Doing what you like doing is how good history gets written -- J. M. Roberts

Nobody can always tell you what you really want, and when you are doing what you want to, you do it better.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Evolution applies itself all things that exist. Ideas, societies and technologies come and go.

What ever you do is a vote for how things should be, as a product of natural human activity.
edit on 24-1-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join