It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isaac Mizrahi and QVC host debate about the moon being a planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: Arbitrageur

An oldie but a goodie:

While it is a blistering indictment of our high school as much as anything, I actually had a high school science teacher (!) tell me:

1) Air pressure is what holds things to the ground and is the source of "gravity"
2) The larger you are, the more square inches the air has to push on you, so you're heavier
3) The reason that people floated around in space capsules is because they didn't have big columns of air pressing them down
4) on the Moon, there isn't much air so things float more
5) anything less than 1/6th of a pound would just float away thus
6) meteors were rocks from the Moon that weighed less than 1/6 of a pound

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Silly people. The moon is an egg.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

You had me at Clara Oswald.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I once had a supervisor who who had worked for QVC. I believe this is probably typical knowledge level.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I would love to see the look on Neil deGrasse Tyson's face if he heard that. He would probably pull and Elvis impersonation and shoot his tv.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
What is more tragic is we live in an age where information about everything is literally at our finger tips libraries are really just quaint government buildings folks use to escape the summer heat .

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Come on, don't be too hard on her. I mean, the moon gives off light, right? So it has to be a star. I like it best when it's a full star, or even when the moon-sun eclipses the sun-sun. And just think, men actually walked on a star! And lived to talk about it!

(I just went to the NASA site and found this picture of astronaut Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on a star, just before he and Harrison Schmidt - who took the picture - blasted off of it. They report that the flag they left there melted within the hour):

OMG! lol. Priceless!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: Arbitrageur

An oldie but a goodie:

While it is a blistering indictment of our high school as much as anything, I actually had a high school science teacher (!) tell me:

1) Air pressure is what holds things to the ground and is the source of "gravity"
2) The larger you are, the more square inches the air has to push on you, so you're heavier
3) The reason that people floated around in space capsules is because they didn't have big columns of air pressing them down
4) on the Moon, there isn't much air so things float more
5) anything less than 1/6th of a pound would just float away thus
6) meteors were rocks from the Moon that weighed less than 1/6 of a pound

Really? WTF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gully
This is why global warming is so bad. As the air gets warmer, people will become lighter and the smallest people will float away. It's also why more people disappear in the Summer than Winter.

Just a theory though.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Depressing indeed.

Don't know where these two went to school, but wherever it was, they didn't get their money's worth.

Wow! Just wow!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: Gully
This is why global warming is so bad. As the air gets warmer, people will become lighter and the smallest people will float away. It's also why more people disappear in the Summer than Winter.

Just a theory though.

Yes. Thus, the reason for the current 'obesity epidemic'. Especially among those with fear of heights.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

It's not an indictment of the educational system.

It's an indictment of the belief that an education from our educational system is required to be successful.

It's not.

Anyway.... is Pluto a planet or not????

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

It's not an indictment of the educational system.

It's an indictment of the belief that an education from our educational system is required to be successful.

It's not.

Anyway.... is Pluto a planet or not????

I am with the NOT A PLANET crowd at best I'd give it a planetoid designation

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well now, hold on there folks. Not so fast... Mizrahi and Killinger may have been a tad off the mark, if you really wanna get technical about it. But please, don’t you think maybe we’re getting a bit nit-picky here? The Moon, the stars, human beings, the planets, etc, it’s all pretty much the same thing isn’t it? Aren’t we all just star stuff? Now, based on that, I guess Killinger does have a slight edge over Mizrahi with her superior knowledge of astrophysics. But still, you gotta give Mizrahi at least a B+ for not making the same mistake about the Moon that 95% of Americans with at 2 years of higher education commonly make: he didn’t fall for the ol’ block of cheese ruse. The man’s no dummy!

You know, it’s too bad Mizrahi doesn’t serve our country on the U.S. Senate. What a fine senator he’d make; a real asset to a 5-star Congress. I have a feeling he’d make a stellar contribution to Chairman Cruz’s subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness.

God Bless America!!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Thank you my kind lady (inwaiting), a very nice compliment. The poor deluded or uneducated (what does she think a nova is? Or a quark? I'd love to hear her interviewed cold by Bill Nye, the Science High) QVC host may take my post at face value and tweet it. I made another observation on another thread, something like that when she sees the moon she probably thinks the craters are sunspots.

As for the other guy, the designer who thinks the moon is a planet, no comment (or no comet, another moon option).

edit on 19-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Holy crap I had a teacher like that growing up too in high school. This teacher would say matter-of-factly the dumbest stuff and then make the student feel bad about being so stupid for not knowing.

He said when asked by a student that BMW stands for British Motor Works.

He said the mexico colonized Hawaii before the Polynesians.

He said the Mexico invented the pizza and went on to describe a taco.

He said that the Sky was Blue because of the oceans reflected light.

Said we are the coldest at winter because the earth was the farthest from the sun in winter.

Said air was lighter than steam because steam is made of water and air obviously isn't.

I bet to this day he still thinks he is correct on the above.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Thank you for that, sir. Brilliant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join