It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isaac Mizrahi and QVC host debate about the moon being a planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

QVC shopping channel host Shawn Killinger and designer Isaac Mizrahi found themselves in a heated discussion — not about spring fashion trends but whether or not the moon is a planet.

It all started with Killinger's comment about one of Mizrahi’s sweaters, “It kind of looks like what the Earth looks like when you're a bazillion miles away from the planet Moon.”

“The planet Moon…” replied Mizrahi.

“From the planet Moon?… From the moon,” Killinger said. “Isn’t the moon a star?”QVC shopping channel host Shawn Killinger and designer Isaac Mizrahi found themselves in a heated discussion — not about spring fashion trends but whether or not the moon is a planet.

It all started with Killinger's comment about one of Mizrahi’s sweaters, “It kind of looks like what the Earth looks like when you're a bazillion miles away from the planet Moon.”

“The planet Moon…” replied Mizrahi.

“From the planet Moon?… From the moon,” Killinger said. “Isn’t the moon a star?”

news.yahoo.com...
This was kinda funny but depressing at the same time, I am not a believer in a deity but O MY GOD! really??..you have "educated" adults in media on T.V making millions and yet function quite fine with this level of ignorance. smh

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
A true indictment of the American Educational system.

I actually find it rather disturbing. : (
edit on 1/18/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
One of my favorite songs comes to mind. The information is dated, but still makes a point.

"There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated."

edit on 18-1-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
These two sales people, trying to get mostly older women to part with what money they have, should retire and go back to school. Or at least read a few books. The moon is a star? What planet (moon) does she come from?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Nice vid link very appropriate,yes ignorance is celebrated and this if I am not mistaken is in "Liberal California " high end community.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Did she really say the Moon is a star ?

The de-evolution of the species right there.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

LOL! In their stupidity, they broke their model! I DO hope she gets work after this!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Before I found out that 1 in 4 people in "educated" countries like the US and UK think the sun revolves around the Earth, this would have surprised me, in fact my initial reaction was this:

I didn't want to believe that statistic at first, but apparently it's true and has been confirmed in multiple polls. I'm now aware that ignorance of some of the most basic ideas in science is far more rampant than I'd ever imagined.

Kudos to the 7 year old who saw past the trick question and got the right answer (though the other kids fell for the trick). I only saw a couple of episodes of "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" TV show, but from what I saw of the contestants they chose on those few episodes, the answer was usually, no.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's this kind of moronic thing that makes me want to "moon " a " star" if you know what I mean

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Reminds me of reading a science article from BBC or Daily Fail. "Holy crap, did you actually write that?"

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The stupid! It hurts.
"The Moon." It's name is what it is!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's a space station.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Walking through the woods in Alaska, my father used to tell me many things. Often, it was a repeat of something he'd always said the day before.

"You could get almost any person to go out for a walk with you into the woods. Tell them to stand on a large stone. Strip out of their clothing. And wait for you."

"Come back a week later, and you'd find that person there, dead, on that rock. Right where you left them."

"Yes, the average person *IS* that stupid."

-NF

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There are things that make me want to grab people, shake them violently and scream "What the hell is wrong with you?"

This is one of them.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Wow... I can't believe people think the moon is a star. That is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Wow! It is amazing how some people go through life and never look up and have no understanding of the world they're living in.

It is pretty crazy that there are some people walking around our planet that don't even realize that the moon is out during the daytime, more often than not.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Well I thought maybe they were just joking around but then watching your video, we have people like the adult couple both of whom believe the Moon to be a Sun! I am astounded!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I know! They said it a dozen times! What is the MOON? Is the MOON a star? Is the MOON a planet?

I couldn't believe it was happening. So, not only do they not know what a Moon is, they don't know what a star is, or what a planet is. Or the sun, for that matter.

Grown People! Gasp! It makes you want to weep.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

An oldie but a goodie:

www.phys.ufl.edu...

About 6-7 years ago, I was in a philosophy class at the University of Wisconsin, Madison (good science/engineering school) and the teaching assistant was explaining Descartes.
He was trying to show how things don't always happen the way we think they will and explained that, while a pen always falls when you drop it on Earth, it would just float away if you let go of it on the Moon. My jaw dropped a little. I blurted "What?!" Looking around the room, I saw that only my friend Mark and one other student looked confused by the TA's statement. The other 17 people just looked at me like "What's your problem?" "But a pen would fall if you dropped it on the Moon, just more slowly." I protested.

"No it wouldn't." the TA explained calmly, "because you're too far away from the Earth's gravity." Think. Think. Aha! "You saw the APOLLO astronauts walking around on the Moon, didn't you?"

I countered, "why didn't they float away?"

"Because they were wearing heavy boots."

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Come on, don't be too hard on her. I mean, the moon gives off light, right? So it has to be a star. I like it best when it's a full star, or even when the moon-sun eclipses the sun-sun. And just think, men actually walked on a star! And lived to talk about it!

(I just went to the NASA site and found this picture of astronaut Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on a star, just before he and Harrison Schmidt - who took the picture - blasted off of it. They report that the flag they left there melted within the hour):

edit on 18-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join