It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney's Re-Invention As Anti-Poverty Warrior

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

It is enough to buy food. In the past, most elderly had their own homes. Limited work ability, like gardening, caused much hunger. That is real poverty. Lack of food.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

That's because wealth cures poverty, not higher taxes.

Trickle, trickle, trickle...

Let them eat cake?

:-)

Somebody say cake? You sure said a mouthful! Brief and to the point. I like it.

Trickle trickle. It's a shame it doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

I agree. But the other side believes it is wealth distribution or a mandated tax. They want it in private hands so that Wall Street can raid retirement funds every 20 years. Then say "oops."

I draw my soc sec and have been hearing this crap since 1968.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Let them eat cake?

Where do you think the money from tax revenues comes from?

Poor people?

People living in poverty?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I was NEVER rich. I labored for 42 years. Until you get there, you won't understand. I saw how my friends went into stress with the 08Crash. Our private plan that we contributed to for 40 years is in "critical". If I lose it, what do you want me to do? A Do-Over? At least my soc sec will buy me food.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I was NEVER rich. I labored for 42 years. Until you get there, you won't understand. I saw how my friends went into stress with the 08Crash. Our private plan that we contributed to for 40 years is in "critical". If I lose it, what do you want me to do? A Do-Over? At least my soc sec will buy me food.

Yes, we're in agreement.

Social security provides minimum sustenance so you can live out your retirement in poverty. The tax didn't cure poverty.

The money that pays the tax comes from wealth.

Taxing does not increase wealth. It redistributes it.

Wealth is the only thing that CAN cure poverty.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

There is no question it is a problem, particularly since the boomers have arrived at retirement age. You know when they were in the work force, there was plenty of their tax-dollars to go around. But now money for SS is indeed getting scarce, and some adjustments will need to be made in the future. Another Plan altogether.

You heard about it in the 1970's because economists even then, could predict what is happening today, and have been trying for all these years to figure out what to do about it. Many of the ideas turn out in the long run to be more expensive than SS. So it is very, very complicated.

But for now, the boomers are safe. I don't think your benefits are being threatened. Now your daughters.... not so much. They won't be able to rely on Social Security.

It's mostly "disability" that is under scrutiny now.

But letting Wallstreet manage it? Hells no!
edit on 1/18/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Let them eat cake?

Poor people?

Better question: Where is it NOT coming from now? People not working? No tax base as they've sent all jobs and all their filthy rich money offshore?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I lost money in 2008 too, and was called a liar and a moron, on another thread of mine, when the real "gang" showed up. Anyway.

If you are already receiving SS benefits, you DON'T have to worry.

I've read some projections for how much longer monies will last, and if you are 65, you're good. Anybody born 1950 or before is in good shape SS wise.

edit on 1/18/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
Same here.

Right after they robbed my pension, put the pathetic buyout they gave us for 25 years of service in a 401K, where the rest of them immediately stole that.

I'll be working till I'm 80. No...I'm tired and won't ever live that long.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Well, there is a LOT of wealth out there that does not go the government. Why do we still have poverty? Are wealthy people just ignoring what is happening around them? Are they islands unto themselves? I never wanted be wealthy. I liked working and never complained when Reagan raised my soc sec benefit and my taxes. If wealth makes you cold, I don't want it. I know what awaits on the other side for me. That is why I am not afraid of dying.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This guy is an abomination, even measured on Republican standards. One of the slimiest liars imaginable, someone who cannot even open his mouth without a lie coming out the same instant.

The bad thing is, people would actually vote for him.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Let them eat cake?

Poor people?

Better question: Where is it NOT coming from now? People not working? No tax base as they've sent all jobs and all their filthy rich money offshore?

*Applause* Luc. Things are looking up in other arenas though. People like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have made it clear they will not be leaving their billions to family. Gates' will go to charitable foundations, not sure about Buffetts, but he has said his posterity won't get it. : )

They have signed a "volunteer" contract to that effect. I admire that.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Are they islands unto themselves?

Pretty much, yeah. The sad part is, people continued to be suckered into their politics, AS IF those guys, the REAL republicans, the ones who actually run the party, have any of their best interests at heart. It's such a sham.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

We need a whole change in consciousness.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It is a shame it doesn't work - think how well off we'd all be!

(And, seriously - I got cake on the frigging brain...)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Let them eat cake?

Poor people?

Did you think corporations wouldn't move to countries that have lower taxes?

Seriously?

Why?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Well, there is a LOT of wealth out there that does not go the government. Why do we still have poverty? Are wealthy people just ignoring what is happening around them? Are they islands unto themselves? I never wanted be wealthy. I liked working and never complained when Reagan raised my soc sec benefit and my taxes. If wealth makes you cold, I don't want it. I know what awaits on the other side for me. That is why I am not afraid of dying.

Why don't you work on becoming wealthy so you can use your money to do good in the world?

Why would money make you cold?

Let me ask you a serious question.

Think about how much money you have now. Imagine somebody adding money to your account, day after day.

At what number of dollars in your account do you think that one more dollar is going to make you cold? When it that one more dollar "too much" money for you?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

We need a whole change in consciousness.

I agree.

It's coming.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

That lower tax thing isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be but the art of economics bores me to tears.

And yes I would think that a company built by Americans and made a success by Americans would maybe stay loyal to America and invest in America and not abandon it to cut a few tax percentage points.

How stupid is that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join