It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA develops cyber weapons for domination in digital war – Snowden leaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I think this planet is destined for war. An all out brutal armageddon.

rt.com...

Mass surveillance by the NSA was apparently just the beginning. The agency is now preparing for future wars in cyberspace, in which control over the internet and rival networks will be the key to victory, documents leaked by Edward Snowden reveal.

The National Security Agency’s aim is to be able to use the web to paralyze the enemy’s computer networks and all infrastructures they control – including power and water supplies, factories, airports, and banking systems, Der Spiegel magazine wrote after viewing the secret files.

The publication stresses that international conventions regulating the new digital weapons of the 21st century are almost non-existent, and the only law that applies in the field is “the survival of the fittest."

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Mass surveillance by the NSA was apparently just the beginning. The agency is now preparing for future wars in cyberspace, in which control over the internet and rival networks will be the key to victory, documents leaked by Edward Snowden reveal.

Bwah Wah… they're just passed at all the encryption that has been added since Snowden's revelations.

They call it a war and it is, ongoing. A war for your money and your stuff.

Bunch of friggin' nosey, busy bodies.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Grids, like power, water, manufacturing areas, airports....etc. don't have to be attached to public computer grids.

You can have a system not accessible from the "outside". The "store fronts" on the web for places likes these may not give you access to the actual main frame that is driving the system.

There is a fallacy in thinking that the world wide web will give you access to everything....that some how it is a magical gate way to IMPORTANT areas.

SONY pictures isn't exactly Hoover Damn.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Always in wars, the side who had ownership of communications had the upper hand. This is no different than intercepting, decoding, and possibly changing messages sent by hand/pigeon/radio or whatever other means. As long as electronics has been around, ECM (electronic counter measures) and ECCM (electronic counter counter measures) were around. This is no different. Wars are fought with more than just guns and bombs, but it is an overall strategy to take total control of the enemy.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, aren't most infrastructures not connected to the web? I know the water plants are not automated that way, they require an operator on site. Even if they shut off the power, they are required to have a backup generator on hand (diesel or natural gas) so the distribution system never goes to zero pressure.

Edit: kirk beat me to it.

edit on 18-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

you are correct to some extant, but there are utilities operators that have to access their networks from the field through the web, via wifi or hardline. they can shutdown or turn on all kinds of equipment.

i use to run a industrial/ commercial electric repair shop. we had a water utility customer that installed a network and could shut down, transfer, and control all their pump houses through a laptop, we always had to have one of three people there when we pulled pumps motors. they all connected through wifi on the net. all someone had to do was know something about the control system and gain access to a password or hack for that matter and they where in.

but as a back up at the pump houses, they had manual controls. ie transfer switches generators,and valves.

edit on 18-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Does anybody else find it a little strange that the Snowden leaks contain all pertinent information for all future decisions made by the intelligencia even though these decisions are apparently being made 'on the fly'?

Eg

Many outlets have been running the Snowden leaks this past year. Last year was the year of ddos attacks. Lots of talk happens over the last month specifically about Internet security from Tptb and their cronies then, lo and behold, it turns out that there was something specifically about it in Snowden leaks but nothing was ever said about it before.

Snowden seems to be there to continually soften the blow. Complete mind f##k

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Will be directed at domestic security threats. I'm 100% positive of that.

I keep asking myself the same question. Are US elections one big reality show? They have the means and motive.

Think about how you form ideas about the process, winner/losers and turnout %. Think about what it would mean to have a serious populist candidate in there talking about the surveillance state.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Quite honestly dis we expect anything less.

in times of war information is a valid target.

While the NSA gets the headlines the NSA / Us is not the only government engaged in this.

top topics

join