It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

EVPs and Ghost Boxes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:58 AM
a reply to: FlyersFan

Do you have any family members passed on that were nags in life?

Or maybe they want you to do something they left undone.

You are sensitive and they know it. How many apparitions have you seen that are acknowledged but no one else in the room saw them at the time you did? Thats particularly annoying, plays us for the fool and embarrasses us in front of everyone.

I hate it when that happens.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:35 AM
Hi Calalini,

firstly thanks very much for your informative response.

Myself, I use a spirit box placed inside a homemade faraday cage.

What is your reasoning for placing it in a faraday cage? Wouldn't this possibly block communication efforts?
Also could you share how you constructed your homemade faraday cage?

I sometimes scan (always at 100ms)

What made you decide on 100ms?

I also sometimes just set it to one channel (of white noise).

Have you had good results with that? Have you found you get better results with just one channel of white noise, or do you get results with both methods (i.e. same results when using one channel and sweeping through channels)?

I have gotten some weird, but rare, stuff when the spirit box is placed in a faraday cage.

Do you mind sharing what happened?

I also removed my antenna and the antenna wire itself that connects to the circuit board. No radio station chatter for me, thanks. You'll never know if your 'evidence' is BS or radio snippets. Those aren't spirits imo, and asking the spirits to communicate in such an unobjective manner is setting yourself up for tons of confirmation bias. But, I digress..

But surely that means the spirit box would no longer be functioning in the way it was designed to (i.e. no longer scanning frequencies)?

I asked:

So my question is if an entity can just make an impression on a digital recorder, and if it seems their communication on ghost boxes overrides/interrupts a radio frequency - is it really necessary for a ghost box to scan many frequencies in order to receive a paranormal communication?

You replied:

Nope, it isn't.

So you've had good results just using one radio frequency?

If you were using a Faraday cage, you could at least be somewhat assured you aren't picking up outer interference. Some so-called 'investigators' don't like Faraday cages.

I'm not sure if I understand how a Faraday cage works properly. I did a quick search and from what I can gather they block off outside static and electrical interference? Do they still allow radio waves to get through? If not, is there any sense to putting a spirit box inside one, rather than just a digital recorder?

The best advice you'll ever get: before every 'investigation' or w/e you want to call it: get the mind primed and pumped up. If you're a skeptic (as I am), tell yourself that you're setting your skepticism aside for now, and adopt an attitude of openness, awareness, and total belief (key) in... well, everything. Get excited, get pumped, and don't go in with any reservations whatsoever. This is why so many skeptics fail to have experiences. Their disbelief blocks them somehow. However, be objective when reviewing your 'evidence'.

That's definitely good advice. I do have a skeptical side, but I see it as a healthy skepticism to accompany my openness to the paranormal. I already can see energy, auras and other phenomena, also hear things that can't be explained. However, like FlyersFan I am interested in experimenting with physical tools to accompany this.

Good luck.

And thanks again for such an informative reply

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:00 AM
Hi again,

thanks for adding this, it's good to hear your positive outlook as am used to hearing the opposite. I know most advice is well meaning, and a certain degree of caution and care makes sense, but I think the tendency can be that we end up priming ourselves, and therefore our experience of reality, to perceive and experience things a certain way (e.g. fear and expect negative things) - and then (in the same way as the Pareidolia phenomenon I suppose) we look for, and most importantly look to interpret, phenomena in a negative way.

This is the way I see it: all this what we call 'paranormal' is going on around us anyway, regardless whether we can perceive it or not. So why not do our best to find out what is going on?

originally posted by: Calalini
Wanted to add a different perspective about inviting spirits to your home: I have been doing it for years, with so-called 'good' and 'bad' spirits, and have never had one serious issue. Ever. We're talking over three decades of paranormal/occult experimentation and exploration. Everyone in my home is healthy and happy... even our pets.

But then I don't fear 'spirits' or the paranormal and I have no superstitious/religious dogma or doctrine with my attitude and explorations whatsoever.

If you explore this stuff with fear in your heart, that's when you can possibly draw in fear-based results.

I'll tell you this, there is never a reason to look beyond your home for 'spirits' elsewhere, when they are apparently all around. Unless you make it so, your home is no more spirit-proof than any other place in the universe.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:05 AM
Thanks for this feedback, very interesting. I researched the spirit box you mentioned (Spirit Box P-SB7) and from what the reviews say it looks like a good one, so I've ordered one. Looking forward to experimenting with it.

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Aelfrede
(I wonder if this is the case with using other research devices such as recording EVPs, taking photographs/recording footage etc?

I have not had the same noticeable increase in spook activity when I've used my EVP microrecorder, or attempted spirit photography, or used my EMF detector. I have only had it happen with the Spirit Box.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:07 AM
Thanks very much for your feedback and link.

Your comment at the end of your post is very interesting. I too have wondered just what is possible via the internet.

originally posted by: olaru12
I have a ghost detector on my iphone and tablet. There is an area in my village where there used to be a huge cottonwood tree [long since cutdown and removed] it used to be used as a hanging tree for all sorts of criminals. My ghost detectors go crazy when around the area where the tree once stood.

There is also an abandoned old hotel in a town south of where I live. Much activity in room 33....

I find it very curious that entities interact in the cyber world. Could this in fact usher in evil and malevolent spirits that want to cause harm ?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:14 AM
I think the ones worth listening to come through in the way FlyersFan mentioned in their first post on this thread:

'The spook comes through over the frequencies. The scan is so fast that you won't get a full word out of the stations if it hits upon a radio station. The words the ghost speaks will be overtop the 'thump thump thump' of the shifting station and it will be longer than the fraction of a second that the spirit box is on that frequency. The ghost speaking covers overtop two or three of the frequencies scanned.'

In those cases it's not taking tiny little snippets of radio talk from each frequency scanned, it's speaking over the duration of several frequencies being scanned. And if I've understood this correctly, that's the same voice coming through over the top of the radio talk on each frequency.

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Aelfrede

But you are not addressing the situations where relevant words come out directly after the question. I'm not talking about the ones where someone might sit around all day waiting for some random word that sounds like 'Bob' to come up

I get that. As well, its not a "ghost voice" but an actual radio broadcast that has been "sampled". So some DJ a thousand mils from you said, on the air,

Yes sir-eee "Bob".

Hows that a spirit again?

ETA: Or look at it this way. Say I'm a medium and I'm somehow able to 'flash card' a hundred words a minute at you in response to your question… I bet in a hundred random words you will 'associate' some meaning if you really want to. If you really believe in the flash cards I am showing you, you'll find one or two that are relevant.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:40 AM

The standard answers for any skeptic on this subject is...

Psychic communication (no equipment) = voices in your head

Ouija board = obviously magnets

Evp = pareidolia/splicing

Spirit box = pareidolia+obviously wishful thinking/splicing

Wherever language (communication) is involved...words are used...who would have thinked it?...marooned on a desert island, I'm gonna write words in the sand using whatever I can find around me...hopefully, whoever is looking for me doesn't look down and say 'hey bob, look at that, the ocean randomly washed tree limbs on the sand to say SOS...isn't nature cool'

edit on 18-1-2015 by akushla99 because: Addd

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:47 PM

'The spook comes through over the frequencies. The scan is so fast that you won't get a full word out of the stations if it hits upon a radio station. The words the ghost speaks will be overtop the 'thump thump thump' of the shifting station and it will be longer than the fraction of a second that the spirit box is on that frequency. The ghost speaking covers overtop two or three of the frequencies scanned.'

And how do you distinguish the jumbled "broad cast" background noise from the real spirit, again? If a spirit is going to say something to you, trust me, you will hear it. And you won't' need a random noise generator either. Thing is the real experience of that is at best a few per life time thing.

Suddenly out comes a "ghost box" that you can use everyday.

I use a compass sometimes to find my way, if it ever worked randomly I wouldn't be using it to navigate. Compasses work every time you use them.

A ghost box returns random words that often times "have no meaning" according to the people that use them, or remotely meet certain criteria for expected answers. Not a good compass for the paranormal. Besides, my experience with encountering spirits has been not of my choosing, not really informative, and somewhat nebulous as to message or lesson imparted.

I can hardly claim objectivity, I have no proof of these events and I don;t know where the witnesses that were with me on several occasions are now.

Thats also part of the experience, ghosts "play" if you get my drift. The are like kids that ring your door bell and run away or crank phone callers. They seem at times to enjoy pranks and confusing the living. The experience it self over all should be a combination of things that all add up to convince one of the reality of the event.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:08 AM
Interesting thread. Of those of you who use spirit boxes and other paranormal investigative devices, would you say activity is increased when you ask questions or make demands of the other side? Has anyone compared the level of activity when you are silent to the level of activity when you interact and seek answers from the other side? Just curious. Thanks. 😀
edit on 1-19-2015 by TruthLover557 because: I was missing a word, if you must know.

top topics

<< 1   >>