It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EVPs and Ghost Boxes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi,

I wonder if any paranormal researchers here could answer a few questions I have concerning EVPs and Ghost Boxes (aka 'Spirit Boxes').

Firstly, after looking into ghost boxes recently (and how to build my own), I've been pondering over why is it necessary for a ghost box to scan lots of frequencies if a ghost can just manifest an EVP on a digital recorder? From what I've gathered (and I may have misunderstood, so please correct me if I'm wrong) the standard basic understanding of a ghost box is that the ghost/spirit/entity (from now on I'll call them entities since it seems some aren't sure whether they are really ghosts/spirits or not) somehow manipulates the voices coming through the different stations to give a message to the enquirer. However, the more I read about people's experiences, the more it seems the entities somehow just 'come through' the frequencies to communicate - sort of interrupting the frequency they come through on. So my question is if an entity can just make an impression on a digital recorder, and if it seems their communication on ghost boxes overrides/interrupts a radio frequency - is it really necessary for a ghost box to scan many frequencies in order to receive a paranormal communication?

Secondly, can white noise be used as a platform for communication? If so, in what way does this differ from EVPs and ghost boxes, in terms of what the entity has to do to communicate?

Thirdly, it has occurred to me that perhaps there's one method that is more successful because maybe entities find it easier to communicate with one method more than another? I should stress I mean 'direct method' (where the phenomena can be physically recorded, rather than indirectly through a human medium).

And finally, (and related to the third question), is there any method you, as a paranormal researcher, have found yields more valid, reliable results?

Many thanks,

Aelf

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Aelfrede

I've been pondering over why is it necessary for a ghost box to scan lots of frequencies if a ghost can just manifest an EVP on a digital recorder?

Many claim some electronic gizmo is the key to "contacting spirits" nowadays. First of all, we don't find ghosts, they find us. Second of all, you are seeing through the veil. Although I don't agree with everything in this article, it does address ghost boxes…

Ghost box fraud

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

I suppose your first statement ('First of all, we don't find ghosts, they find us') would be hard to prove conclusively since it's possible that sometimes they 'find' us (get our attention) and sometimes we 'find' them (get their attention).

With regards your second statement ('Second of all, you are seeing through the veil') what exactly do you mean by this in relation to the topic?

Thanks for the link to the article. Yes I'm familiar with the way they say a ghost box is meant to work, and also about the sensory phenomenon of 'Pareidolia'. And about subjective validation. However, some findings from researchers (more experienced and amateurs) seem to defy these explanations (e.g. one account said that after asking a ghost box about a recently deceased relative a reply came straight away saying the person's name).

I didn't start this thread to debate whether such communication is possible from these devices (and neither it seems is the article you mentioned) but rather to understand how each works in comparison to each other and which one researchers find most effective.

Thanks again for your reply

Aelf

originally posted by: intrptr

I've been pondering over why is it necessary for a ghost box to scan lots of frequencies if a ghost can just manifest an EVP on a digital recorder?

Many claim some electronic gizmo is the key to "contacting spirits" nowadays. First of all, we don't find ghosts, they find us. Second of all, you are seeing through the veil. Although I don't agree with everything in this article, it does address ghost boxes…

Ghost box fraud

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I got a Spirit Box P-SB7 for Christmas.

I've used it a few times in different places.

IT WORKS

And I'll say this .. the spook activity has picked up significantly in my home since I've been using it. That's not something I was wanting to happen but it looks like - they have noticed that I've noticed them (paraphrased from the Mothman movie). It seems to be a side effect of using the box.

The spook comes through over the frequencies. The scan is so fast that you won't get a full word out of the stations if it hits upon a radio station. The words the ghost speaks will be overtop the 'thump thump thump' of the shifting station and it will be longer than the fraction of a second that the spirit box is on that frequency. The ghost speaking covers overtop two or three of the frequencies scanned.

For me ... bottom line ... it works and, unfortunately, it's a magnet for spooks in the home.

My advice - if you use it don't use it where ever you live. Take it elsewhere to use.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

My advice - if you use it don't use it where ever you live. Take it elsewhere to use.

Interesting note. What did they "say" to you over the box?

As a sensitive, you've experience with receiving 'impressions' before you ever owned a "telephone" to the spirit world, right?

Do you still. without the box that is? Why would you switch form receiving messages through your soul conduit to using some gizmo? Did you lose faith in your own impressions? Have they since stopped?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

…it's possible that sometimes they 'find' us (get our attention) and sometimes we 'find' them (get their attention).

How do you tell you found them? Because they make themselves 'known' to us? Otherwise we just stumble in the dark.

And any random word generator is going to give you a message eventually if thats what you are "looking for".

In the article thats the rub. We ask a question and want for the ghost box to give an "answer" we are already looking for (or one we can "accept"). Thats as subjective as it gets.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

What did they "say" to you over the box?

Different things in different places. We used it in my childhood home in Connecticut as well as my home here. We clearly got 'hello hello hello' and 'Emily' (my daughters name who was with me) and a host of other words and phrases that must have made sense for the spooks but that didn't mean anything to us.

Why would you switch form receiving messages through your soul conduit to using some gizmo?

I thought I'd give it a try. Nothing more than experimentation. What I've found in the past month that I've had the box, it emboldens the spooks. I'm still experimenting so we'll see how it goes ....

Side note ... the 'thump thump thump' of the scan can have a bit of a hypnotic effect on the person using the box. At least it kind of does for me. I don't know if that elevates the ability of the user (in this case ... me) to be more sensitive or what .. but activity in the home has increased or I've become more sensitive to it.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Not what I was looking for but thanks for the reply. Communion through the soul (like prayer or meditation)l is different than asking things out loud, or receiving messages "out loud".

Big difference, imo.
edit on 18-1-2015 by intrptr because: spelling as usual…

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh ... okay .... I misinterpreted what you said.
Yes ... that's still there for me.

I just thought I'd experiment.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Lol, okay. I don't listen to my TV either.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Hi FlyersFan,

thanks very much for the feedback

Great that you've had results! And interesting what you say about how activity increased in the home as I've heard this from other peoples' accounts after using one. (I wonder if this is the case with using other research devices such as recording EVPs, taking photographs/recording footage etc? I can imagine it's to do with our intent focused on communicating, but it could be some devices encourage more activity for some reason?)

What you say about the ghost communication covering the scan of two or three frequencies rings true with what others seem to be saying about their experience.

Thanks again very much for sharing your experience and would be fascinated to hear more details of what you heard and about the increased activity in your home if you don't mind sharing?

Also thanks for the warning regards using it at home

Aelf

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I got a Spirit Box P-SB7 for Christmas.

I've used it a few times in different places.

IT WORKS

And I'll say this .. the spook activity has picked up significantly in my home since I've been using it. That's not something I was wanting to happen but it looks like - they have noticed that I've noticed them (paraphrased from the Mothman movie). It seems to be a side effect of using the box.

The spook comes through over the frequencies. The scan is so fast that you won't get a full word out of the stations if it hits upon a radio station. The words the ghost speaks will be overtop the 'thump thump thump' of the shifting station and it will be longer than the fraction of a second that the spirit box is on that frequency. The ghost speaking covers overtop two or three of the frequencies scanned.

For me ... bottom line ... it works and, unfortunately, it's a magnet for spooks in the home.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hi intrptr,

How do you tell you found them? Because they make themselves 'known' to us? Otherwise we just stumble in the dark.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I think that was a misunderstanding with semantics. I meant that maybe we notice them sometimes and they haven't noticed us, or we get their attention somehow. Obviously we need them to become known to us. But that could equally work the same from the ghost/entities perspective. Maybe there's things we do that 'find' them. What I'm saying is maybe it's more 'two-way' than we realise.

And any random word generator is going to give you a message eventually if thats what you are "looking for". In the article thats the rub. We ask a question and want for the ghost box to give an "answer" we are already looking for (or one we can "accept"). Thats as subjective as it gets.

I see what you're getting at, and I think this could be the case possibly more often than not. But you are not addressing the situations where relevant words come out directly after the question. I'm not talking about the ones where someone might sit around all day waiting for some random word that sounds like 'Bob' to come up.

Aelf
edit on 18-1-2015 by Aelfrede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aelfrede
(I wonder if this is the case with using other research devices such as recording EVPs, taking photographs/recording footage etc?

I have not had the same noticeable increase in spook activity when I've used my EVP microrecorder, or attempted spirit photography, or used my EMF detector. I have only had it happen with the Spirit Box.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Here are my answers to your questions. I'm not big on what passes for paranormal investigating doctrine, so my opinions are my own, based on personal experience.

originally posted by: Aelfrede
Firstly, after looking into ghost boxes recently (and how to build my own), I've been pondering over why is it necessary for a ghost box to scan lots of frequencies if a ghost can just manifest an EVP on a digital recorder?

You and me both. But they are both tools used to try and provide a bridge for communication. Who can say really?

From what I've gathered (and I may have misunderstood, so please correct me if I'm wrong) the standard basic understanding of a ghost box is that the ghost/spirit/entity (from now on I'll call them entities since it seems some aren't sure whether they are really ghosts/spirits or not) somehow manipulates the voices coming through the different stations to give a message to the enquirer.

You'll notice the vast majority of people who use this method (especially on Youtube) rarely follow a protocol of giving significant pauses between questions. They ask questions repeatedly, ignoring the 'noise', and noting the times (afterwards, in review) when it appears that they received an answer. They also frequently set their box to 200-250ms pauses between scanning.

I think this method is BS, honestly. Firstly, you have no clue with the radio interference if it's actually a spirit or just coincidence. Second, audio pareidolia and confirmation bias are highly likely using this method. Look at how many one syllable answers a guy like Huff Paranormal gets: ed, ted, red, yes...etc. Then they make the mistake of asking questions repeatedly without pauses. This is the worst kind of 'investigating' and gathering evidence. It's an embarrassment to real paranormal research imo, but this field is filled with kooky spiritual types, so this crap is here to stay unfortunately.

Myself, I use a spirit box placed inside a homemade faraday cage. I sometimes scan (always at 100ms) and I also sometimes just set it to one channel (of white noise). I have gotten some weird, but rare, stuff when the spirit box is placed in a faraday cage. I also removed my antenna and the antenna wire itself that connects to the circuit board. No radio station chatter for me, thanks. You'll never know if your 'evidence' is BS or radio snippets. Those aren't spirits imo, and asking the spirits to communicate in such an unobjective manner is setting yourself up for tons of confirmation bias. But, I digress..

So my question is if an entity can just make an impression on a digital recorder, and if it seems their communication on ghost boxes overrides/interrupts a radio frequency - is it really necessary for a ghost box to scan many frequencies in order to receive a paranormal communication?

Nope, it isn't.

Secondly, can white noise be used as a platform for communication? If so, in what way does this differ from EVPs and ghost boxes, in terms of what the entity has to do to communicate?

Absolutely. It doesn't, really. If you were using a Faraday cage, you could at least be somewhat assured you aren't picking up outer interference. Some so-called 'investigators' don't like Faraday cages. They would rather interpret radio chatter as 'spirit communication'. Plus I've had zillions of sessions with the Faraday cage that resulted in nothing. Most people these days don't have time for that and want quick results.

Thirdly, it has occurred to me that perhaps there's one method that is more successful because maybe entities find it easier to communicate with one method more than another? I should stress I mean 'direct method' (where the phenomena can be physically recorded, rather than indirectly through a human medium).

IMO, it's subjective either way. Some people have great success capturing EVP, while others don't.

And finally, (and related to the third question), is there any method you, as a paranormal researcher, have found yields more valid, reliable results?

The best advice you'll ever get: before every 'investigation' or w/e you want to call it: get the mind primed and pumped up. If you're a skeptic (as I am), tell yourself that you're setting your skepticism aside for now, and adopt an attitude of openness, awareness, and total belief (key) in... well, everything. Get excited, get pumped, and don't go in with any reservations whatsoever. This is why so many skeptics fail to have experiences. Their disbelief blocks them somehow.

However, be objective when reviewing your 'evidence'.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Wanted to add a different perspective about inviting spirits to your home: I have been doing it for years, with so-called 'good' and 'bad' spirits, and have never had one serious issue. Ever. We're talking over three decades of paranormal/occult experimentation and exploration. Everyone in my home is healthy and happy... even our pets.

But then I don't fear 'spirits' or the paranormal and I have no superstitious/religious dogma or doctrine with my attitude and explorations whatsoever.

If you explore this stuff with fear in your heart, that's when you can possibly draw in fear-based results.

I'll tell you this, there is never a reason to look beyond your home for 'spirits' elsewhere, when they are apparently all around. Unless you make it so, your home is no more spirit-proof than any other place in the universe.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Calalini
when they are apparently all around..

I agree with this. Spooks are everywhere. Some places have more than others and some places have spooks that are more active than other places ... but they are everywhere.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have a ghost detector on my iphone and tablet. There is an area in my village where there used to be a huge cottonwood tree [long since cutdown and removed] it used to be used as a hanging tree for all sorts of criminals. My ghost detectors go crazy when around the area where the tree once stood.

There is also an abandoned old hotel in a town south of where I live. Much activity in room 33....

appcrawlr.com...

I find it very curious that entities interact in the cyber world. Could this in fact usher in evil and malevolent spirits that want to cause harm ?
edit on 18-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

But you are not addressing the situations where relevant words come out directly after the question. I'm not talking about the ones where someone might sit around all day waiting for some random word that sounds like 'Bob' to come up

I get that. As well, its not a "ghost voice" but an actual radio broadcast that has been "sampled". So some DJ a thousand mils from you said, on the air,

Yes sir-eee "Bob".

Hows that a spirit again?

ETA: Or look at it this way. Say I'm a medium and I'm somehow able to 'flash card' a hundred words a minute at you in response to your question… I bet in a hundred random words you will 'associate' some meaning if you really want to. If you really believe in the flash cards I am showing you, you'll find one or two that are relevant.
edit on 18-1-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

According to some or other when you add up all the people that have been born, lived and died here that number is over a hundred billion.

They are all around somewhere…

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

They are all around somewhere…

Seems that more than a few of them are following me around. ARGH!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join