It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina MOD announce the disappearance of anti tank missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Buenos Aires, Jan 16 (EFE) .- The Argentine Ministry of Defense today denounced the disappearance of an antitank missile Tow 2nd Cavalry squadron of the city of La Plata, 60 kilometers south of Buenos Aires.

Traduction:
Buenas Aires, January 16 (EFE), the Argentinian ministry of defense Reported today the disappearance of anti TOW anti-tank missile in February from a cavalry squadron based in La Plata, 60 kms south of Buenas Aires.

Argentina MOD announce the disappearance of anti tank missile

While they stole the missile, they didn't steal the launching system.

Is it because they have one or dont need one?

It went missing 4 days ago.

While the theft and resale of military equipament in South América is normal, with all this happening lately, it makes you nervous.

edit on 17-1-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: Translated quoted text.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Maybe a south American drug dealer would pay good money to add a 28 kg missile to his collection.

Also i bet the someone can make the launch platform with some PVC pipe and duck tape

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

I wouldn't be surprised if this was then sold to Mexico with the fireworks happening there.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Maybe a south American drug dealer would pay good money to add a 28 kg missile to his collection.

Also i bet the someone can make the launch platform with some PVC pipe and duck tape

I saw Magyver do it at least three times...

However, a Tow isnt something to mess with, it can take out a LOT of things..

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
During the Falklands war, the Argentinians adapted the French Exocet anti-ship weapons for land use. They just stuck the launcher onto the back of a truck, and then jerry-rigged the launch circuits so the missiles could be fired from land.

link   
During the Falklands war, the Argentinians adapted the French Exocet anti-ship weapons for land use. They just stuck the launcher onto the back of a truck, and then jerry-rigged the launch circuits so the missiles could be fired from land.

link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: andy1972

I wouldn't be surprised if this was then sold to Mexico with the fireworks happening there.

Or it could be on its way to Francé marked "engine parts".

Its a major piece of kit and not easy to hide at 28 kilos.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Funny you should mention the Falklands. Maybe Argentina now has a terrorist group determined to retake the islands...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

The TOW (tracked on wire) missile launcher isn't one shot throw away. It can be reloaded and fired again as long as the batteries hold out. I assume they stole a spare round from some depot where they are stored.

Using it to launch at a tank would be impossible without the launcher. The user guidance interface is dedicated to the weapons system.

Nice warhead though, depending on the model it weighs up to 8 lbs in the form of a shaped charge and can penetrate up to 600 mm of armor. Thats 24 inches for you red neck mothers…

Anti tank missile list

1 Dead tank. US ships these aging stocks to all their friends. Heres some video of their use against the Syrian military. Just before the end you see them beginning to reload…

Live Leak

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It's pretty useless on its own as a guided weapon given the fact it's wire guided. No launch and guidance system..no Guided rocket.

top topics

join