It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tree on the hollow hill. (DRG2015)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The heat penetrating the dew caused a misty haze. Particles rising like spirits of the dead being resurrected by the light joined the dampness hanging in the air just above the ground.

The fire had gone out but was still smouldering. The fine smoke pushed upwards by the glowing heat mingled and merged with the wet air. The warm mixture climbed high above the blanket of mist which from above looked like a ghostly membrane surrounding the makeshift camp. The orange glow within the stone circle visible through the grey mist,... one eye was opened.

The traveller sat up and rubbed his eyes, it was cold and yet more mist came out of his mouth adding to the membrane that had swallowed him in his sleep and was now obscuring his vision. He poked at the hot ashes with a stick and dropped it into the circle of stones. A small flame jumped out of the glowing heat and began to dance along the stick causing the surrounding mist to take on a peachy hue that dimmed and brightened, synchronised with the dancing flame.

The traveller pulled a small wind pipe out of his pocket and began playing a tune for the flame to dance along to, then another flame came up and joined the first. There was no rush for the traveller and the mist would lift soon. From within the warm air above the fog, he could see his destination on the horizon, the mountain with the tree on its top.

Legends have passed down a story thought by most people to be a myth, of a hollow mountain with a tree at it's summit. The tales relayed through the ages, state that inside the hollow mountain there is a winding staircase that goes up into the tree to many more passages, and that each branch of the tree leads to another world. Many dangers are said to lie between the entrance into the mountain and the winding staircase.

No one knows what these dangers are as no one has ever made it out alive and only a few have returned from the other worlds, but with no memory of the cavern. The stories from beyond that have created the legend are what has drawn this traveller towards the mountain, their substance is beyond the stuff of dreams, although, the not knowing what happens to those who do not return keeps most away. It has been whispered that the mountain itself is guarding the tree.

As the flames began to get tired, the traveller brought the charming sound of his pipe to a end and put it back in his pocket. The mist was beginning to clear and the horizon was beginning to fade into view.

It was time to move on...

edit on 17-1-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

Otherworld druidy heaven! So evocative and dreamlike, I loved that. That was amzing Wifi!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Thank you bean"sidhe"

edit on 17-1-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Hey Wifibrains!
I could definitely keep reading more! (hint hint)

Really good writing, keep it up.
I can see some members getting 'writer' status from this competition.

S&F
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Cheers jacygirl.

The tree on the mountain looks just like a normal tree from the outside, so I'm logically perplexed as to how these other worlds are accessed from within the mountain, and how people return.

Heroic accounts from the legends allude to some scenarios that today would be considered as some sort of futuristic technology. But the legend is over 5000yrs old!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

That is truly fascinating! I love to ponder things like this.

Logically perplexed is good! It means you're thinking.

So what you do now, is keep writing...let the story just unfold itself. Don't worry about the logistics...in this world anything is possible.

jacy

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You deserve writer's status for this! Wonderfully imaginative and filled with imagery! Love it!
You should include a dragon in there somewhere for the contest. Continue the story in here if you can. Also to enter the contest, you must go here and include the link to this story!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also put your status as non-writer

Good luck!

edit on 17-1-2015 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
*Continued*

It was time to move on...

The traveller gathered his things and set off on his way toward the jagged peaks in the distance. From his position on higher ground, to the left and two thirds across the expanse of grassy plane, there was a grove of trees about ten in number. The traveller stopped in his tracks and stared at the trees, he thought he saw something... there it was again.

A glimmer of silver light twinkled between the trunks of the trees and slithered in a straight and horizontal line out of the grove before disappearing into the distant grass. The traveller looked up and squinted at the low but rising sun and gave a wink, then made his way towards the water beyond the trees the sun has shone upon causing the silver shimmering reflection. His flask was almost empty.

As he approached the trees he again stopped in his tracks, from beyond the trees and past the water a sound echoed across the remaining grassland coming directly from the mountain range in the distance. It was the sound of fear and terror, with elements of trying to escape. It was the sound of a man, a scream so loud, and no doubt the last sound that man ever made.

As the echo dispersed, the earth began to tremble ever so slightly under the travellers feet, and there was a rumbling sound in the air. A deep sound not like a earthquake, it was a growl. The rumble in the air became progressively louder and rolling the air into pressure waves that could be physically felt, and then turned into the most almighty roar the traveller had ever heard, but from the stories he knew was on the right track, and from that terrifying sound, he knew was close...

He continued on his way towards the water beyond the trees and filled his flask. The sun was high and it was now warm. One of the trees in the grove had some ripe fruit it was offering. And a traveller never refused a free meal. He sat on a rock by the water to eat, looking straight at the mountain, it's highest peak disappearing above the few clouds remaining in the sky that seemed to cling to the mountain, giving it an appearance for a split second, as though it were crowned with the heavens.

He put the fruit to his mouth, took a large chomp and chewed, still looking straight ahead...
edit on 18-1-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

WiFi, Very cool Story so far. I wanted to wait till You finished before commenting, but wanted to let You know I think this a Very Good Tale You Tell!! Very well written so far!!
I gave it the first star and flag yesterday after the first part was entered. Starred the second part as well just now.

I look forward to the rest!!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thank you SyxPak. Yours was great too!

What lies in wait for our traveller is still to come, hopefully he fairs better than those who have gone before him...

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Your welcome, and Thanx! I saw that movie.
It was very cool!! Might just watch it again. Thanx for the reminder on it!!

posted on Jun, 26 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I really loved this story and wonder if you ever wrote more?

top topics

join