It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bic Lighter - My Homage

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

If you are in a place where your lighter freezes... drive south

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Indiana will get warm eventually haha.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Already four + pages? Certainly a Bic lighter deserves it. Prior to the lighter, Bic revolutionized disposable pens; but we didn't call them disposable then. Many a concert owed that 'feeling' to the presence of the little Bic lighters throughout the crowd...

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

The beloved BIC is a dinghy to a Zippo. However, it IS an excellent dinghy.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: argentus
When you spark a stogie with a Zippo it has a distinctive hint of butane bouquet.
I'm torn on whether that is a good or a bad thing.
I actually think I kind of enjoy it.
I use the Bics because they're cheap. You don't lose 20 bucks if you lose one at a party.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
LOL... the Bic lighter...

I actually make beaded Bic lighter cases that I sell to friends and neighbours. I create my own designs based on what the customer wants design-wise. It's usually some kind of design on the front (ie: team logo, elvis, girly, whatever) and the person's name on the back. You can also gussy them up with tassles hanging on the bottom, etc...

It takes anywhere from 18 to 20+ hours to make one (each tiny bead is stitched individually), but it's rewarding to see the end results.

They're quite the popular item... I guess I know a lot of smokers.

This is basically what they look like:

(no that's not a pic of one of mine - I guess that's something I should probably do one of these years *snicker*)

I learned beading from a local native woman in my area - she makes gorgeous moccasins, jingle dresses, leather gauntlets, pow wow outfits, etc - her leather and beadwork is to die for. The woman's got some mad skills !

Anyways, it's a fun little hobby.

So hail to the Bic lighter - and hail to the Bic for putting a little extra change in my pocket too !!

edit on 19-1-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

So Cranial you're not just another pretty face ... beading is very tedious work and I've seen some beautiful beadwprk around here as well. The jingle dress and moccasins on display at one of our our local reserves are so detailed as well. It must have taken many hands a long long time to complete. Would love to see your handiwork sometime.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here is a classic bic commercial, not the one I was looking for though.

I wanted the one of the women going off the diving board into a pool, but this one will do.

YogaGinns

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Ummm...I have so...been...there...

But don't throw away those empty bics with the still good flints...because one of those and some sock lint will have you an emergency fire in no time..or...

Save a wad of dryer lint...mix it with vaseline...put it in a baggie and keep it in your BOB...it works like a charm and will even light off just the spark from your empty bic...

Glad to meet another two fisted lighter user...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Ummm...now that is too cool... of course you know what that means...right...?

NOW...you'll have to make a thread with some pics of...your...beaded lighter cases...and/or other of your art work...

Too cool...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

The cool thing about peyote tube beading (that's what the type of stitch is called) is that you can literally bead around anything, and I do mean anything. I tease hubby and tell him I'm going to bead around everything in the house... a beaded cover for the tv, beaded toilet seat, beaded cat food dish, beaded steering wheel cover... hubby will come home from work one day and the whole house is going to be beaded over.

I laugh and tell everyone if they quit smoking I'll just start making custom beaded beer bottle holders because in Canada, NOBODY is ever going to quit beer drinking.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

It's definitely a cool little hobby.

And what's better than having your own custom Bic lighter cover ? When the lighter dies, you just pull it out and slide in a new Bic !

I have a "Tigger" lighter case that I've been using for a few years and when I get tired of that one, I switch it up and use my "moose" lighter case cover instead. (I have a thing for Tigger the Disney character and mooses).

Maybe one of these days I'll take some pics and make a thread called "Homage To The Bic Lighter - Part Deux".

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Had to check in on the Bic lighter thread...saw it was going on five pages. Excellent!

The idea about a thread on the cases is also excellent. They can be as custom and classy as Zippos imo.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

I use a zippo too, nice design on it. I have had it for three years, refill it maybe once a month and change a flint every three or so months. Zippo brand are really good, the knockoffs, not so much.

Image zippo like mine

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join