It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of doing business in Canada with "global adjustment charges"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I'm not Canadian but I do run a business and thought I had seen everything. Guess I haven't.
The following is a clip and link from a story about an electric bill.
Maybe my northern neighbors can chime in and fill in the rest of the story as the media tends to gloss over the facts sometimes.

" In December, he spent $770 on electricity. It was one of the least expensive lines on his bill. The global adjustment charge was $4,267.32. There was also a delivery charge, a debt retirement charge and an array of taxes. In total, he spent nearly $10,000 in December—for $770 of electricity. He doesn’t know where this money is going. He is not sure he can keep up. He isn’t alone."

wellingtontimes.ca...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Average power rate in ontario is just over 2cents per kw/h???!

That is the cheapest power i've ever seen. On the east coast average price for power is 10 - 13 cents per kw/h, and that is going up every other month.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AzureSky

My gas bill is kind of like his electric bill.
The gas costs so much, then the storage fee, then the meter fee, then tax.
The gas costs less than the fees!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

The 'Global Adjustment Charge' is really the mismanagement over the past 20 years charge. The government gets them locked into stupid contracts paying obscene rates for Solar to 'kick start' the industry, Nuclear to provide profits for builders and operators, and other stupid contracts to sell to other provinces cheaply. Over the many years this mismanagement adds up so much they have to charge people more and more or they couldn't even deliver the power.

I didn't think it was this bad in Ontario. They should just spin the government power authority into a private entity, declare bankruptcy and start fresh. Sometimes you've messed something up so bad you just can't fix it.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Yet so many Canadian posters dump on your P.M., whom I admire, for selling off gov't assets to private industry.

Last time I looked the guy has your Federal Gov't in a surplus AND paying down your debt. Northern 'left wing' being exposed here?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky
Average power rate in ontario is just over 2cents per kw/h???!

That is the cheapest power i've ever seen. On the east coast average price for power is 10 - 13 cents per kw/h, and that is going up every other month.

$400 per Month for me on the E. Coast. We have rooms that we close and don't turn on the heat. We also use a pellet stove to help that runs about 180 per Month as well.

E. Coast sucks.

Peace

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well he could get his electricity from somewhere else, right? I mean, in a western capitalistic free market economy without Monopolies and all…?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Like the gas Europe gets from Russia? That works so much better doesn't it?
Totally reliable..

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Corruption in Canada is just as bad as the third world....
Situated right next door to the massive corruptor to the south of us and having abundant resources we have consistently had successive governments sell out to US business interests....as well as others like China, Japan, etc..
Privatization is the further creeping destruction of our way of life.
Virtually everything that's been privatised has degraded public services and bled money off to create profit for offshore owners.......None of it has improved our lives.
And most of it has served to deny us our own resources, or even access to our own public lands and forests......and increase the cost of our own resources to Canadians...
Canada for sale, is just about sold out..........the money goes elsewhere than Canadians pockets.....

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: intrptr

Like the gas Europe gets from Russia? That works so much better doesn't it?
Totally reliable..

www.naturalnews.com...

You do realize that link goes on to state the prtro dollar, american fiat currency and "trill-mendous" debt is the real problem that the rest of the world is wishing would just go away… in fact hedging for… or against.

Who can blame them?

That Canadian 'extra fees' part has something to do with that, don't it.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I'm Canadian and live in BC. I have never had that problem. I pay $60 a month for electricity.

I did pay $1200 for two months when I lived in a #ty house with base board heaters .

Where is this story coming from?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

I'm Canadian and live in BC. I have never had that problem. I pay $60 a month for electricity.

I did pay $1200 for two months when I lived in a #ty house with base board heaters .

Where is this story coming from?

Wow that's good. I'm in BC too and just paid $700 for two months. Something wrong with this picture.

top topics

join