It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Two Scenarios

page: 1

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:01 AM
Two scenarios

I am an average citizen, not a shining example of what I believe we all should be, but still, I do alright. I pay my taxes, go to work every day, provide as best I can for my family. And it is all about the family when the end of the day comes. I value them, I am very proud of them, and I wish nothing but the best for them. As I said, I am very much like everyone else in the world.

Having said that, I would like to share two different stories with you about my family. Please bear with me, there is no point to these two stories, this is a tale I have to tell, and in order to get it straight in my head, I need to put it down on paper. There is no argument, no right or wrong, this is just two sides of the same fence, two scenarios I have witnessed personally. I can understand both, but I am emotionally distraught by the difference in the outcomes.

First scenario:

A young man has gotten old. He has worked all his life, provided into the system since he was 16. He is still working, providing for his family, paying his taxes. And he is very, very happy to do so. Says it gives him purpose, keeps him getting up in the morning and makes him proud to come home at night. Some days he is finding it extremely difficult to do so, though. With all his radiation and chemo treatments, it is tough for him to keep living life like he is used to.

His wife is finding it hard also. Both having full time jobs, and her having to take care of him after his treatments...well, they are both very tired almost every day of their lives lately. She wants only for him to live his next two years however he pleases. That is what his life expectancy is, two years, max. Doesn't want him to have to go to work every day. Wants him to live as though he is retired, which is a time in his life he will never be able to see.

So, she inquires about disability and social security. If they could get his medical expenses covered, he could quit his job and be free to do what he liked. Unfortunately, he can get disability, but his social security benefits wouldn't kick in for another two years after the day it was determined that he is disabled. So, it is of no use to them, he will be gone before or shortly after his benefits kicked in. (Hopefully that makes some sense.)

There are no other options out there for them. So, he will have to continue to work and so will she. And after a lifetime of doing so and paying into the system, it will provide them with nothing in return. They have drained their savings account, and are soon to be living paycheck to paycheck. They cannot get Medicaid or any government assistance, with both incomes, they make too much money and own too much to qualify.

Second scenario:

A young girl who has made some wrong choices has gotten pregnant three times. Each time she is given assistance by the government. She has worked and paid taxes sporadically, maybe it would amount to a couple of year's worth of actual working if added all up. But still, a child needs to be taken care of and by all means, if she needs government assistance, then let her have it.

At the age of 22 she is diagnosed with MS. It is in the very early stages and can be controlled with medication. She applies for disability and receives it immediately. While she is waiting for it to kick in, ( the 2 year wait) she is using Government assistance to live, as they provide her with everything she needs to take care of herself and her kids. She is a stay at home mom, and her fiance is also staying with her and helping to take care of the kids. I cannot say too much about her scenario, as I have only been witness to a small amount of her life. The things above are what I know for sure.

Two different scenarios revolving around the same government assistance programs. Two very different outcomes. There is something profound in putting these two scenarios on the same page. I cannot put my finger on what it is exactly. It feels as though they are perfect examples of what our country once was and what it has become. The past meets the future maybe? I am unsure how to voice what it is I am feeling. But I do know there is something here that matters, and if you put away your personal feelings for second, and just look at these from an unbiased view (which is extremely difficult to do sometimes) maybe you will see it too.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:43 AM
a reply to: blend57

The system as it is makes no sense. I believe it is that way on purpose. To make people NOT want to get assistance, even though they well deserve it!!! I see it no other way really. I feel for You in this situation...... Syx.

new topics