It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War On Drugs Is Slowly Ending Re:Asset Seizure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

No more asset seizure: Eric Holder bans controversial ‘war on drugs’ tactic

Source

Has anybody noticed that the Justice Department, along with Congress and the Fed, are slowly ending MJ prohibition and moving towards dismantling the drug war?

State and local police in the United States will no longer be able to use federal laws to justify seizing property without evidence of a crime, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said on Friday.

The practice of local police taking property, including cash and cars, from people that they stop, and of handing it over to federal authorities, became common during the country’s war on drugs in the 1980s.

Now the changes are coming out slowly, but this is great news. So is the last bit of news from a few weeks ago, stating that the Fed would no longer interfere in state's willingness to sell medical marijuana.

All good things thus far. We need a couple more steps in the right direction over the next few years however to really push things. I look forward to ballot initiatives in various states during the primaries and general election.

That begs the question however, would a GOP controlled Executive Branch continue these plans, or revert back to the old, tried and just plain wrong war on drugs?

~Tenth

edit on 1/17/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/17/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
With Holder leaving I found this really odd. Maybe a desperation move to generate some positive press for the administration? Anyways, I was very glad to hear it all the same. Yes, it is time the war on weed ended no doubt about that.

Prisons today are filled mostly with drug users - who will fill those cells if they stop the war on drugs? That's what I'm wondering. Drug use and abuse is a medical issue not a crime issue, it is HIGH time we started treated people instead of punishing them. It would save many tax dollars in addition to saving many lives.

Now those who sell large amounts of dangerous drugs - I don't see that become decriminalized nor should it. The ordinary user however shouldn't be looking at a 20 year sentence for what harms only themselves.

If the Republicans win the next election (I think it's a given they will) I bet they reverse Holder's decision. I would also expect them to ramp up efforts to make pot illegal everywhere they can. Common sense on that issue will never be part of their platform in the foreseeable future.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

These constitutional issues should be looked at. The seizure of property ect. Weed is certainly opening up. Weed is a pussy cat to a lion when compared to "drugs".

Don't see where Crack and Meth are going to follow. Crack single handedly ravished parts of our world here. Meth not much better. Heroin deaths are way up these days. Absolute toxic combination of poison and easy money. Great cost.

link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

ith Holder leaving I found this really odd. Maybe a desperation move to generate some positive press for the administration?

I think he's setting the ground work. I think the justice department has a plan it wants to follow through on, regardless of who is POTUS, and Eric is probably just setting things in motion. Whether or not that will succeed is yet to be seen I suppose.

Now those who sell large amounts of dangerous drugs - I don't see that become decriminalized nor should it.

You should not be ever charged with possession or intoxication, unless trafficking and a danger to yourself or others in the later one.

Most importantly I mean charged in a way so that the conviction ends up robbing you of your freedom, as opposed to giving you access to proper treatment. I may disagree with your coc aine habit, but if you aren't going to hurt anybody else and just sit in your house, then all the power to you.

I would also expect them to ramp up efforts to make pot illegal everywhere they can.

I expect, before the primaries that SCOTUS will accept one of the many cases before them on pot issues to prevent just that. At least I figure that's the Fed's plan anyway.

~Tenth

link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ah damn.

lol

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Closed. Please direct further commentshere.

new topics

top topics

join