It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A fan, but Bill Maher says..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
and hey thats ok that you despise religion, I not sure if you are American but thats what we cherish here, the right to our own beliefs. I have faith, but I dont buy into everything in the bible literally anyways. A lot of it is evidence of UFO and alien involvement if you ask me, just simply using the translated words of the time. But I absolutely adore volunteering in certain church events that help the needy or raise funds for a school. I dont even go to a church. But I enjoy participating in the wonderful things they do for the community.

For me its less so about worship and meeting some persons standards they "claim" came from a divine source, and more about the people I meet and can help.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is the thing, though, isn't it.

I'm a Christian.
I'm probably a little TOO Christian for many people; I believe that the Bible is literal (except where literary context demands otherwise, e.g. poetry, symbolism, figures of speech, literary devices), and that it means what it says: so, if the Bible says God created the world in six days, so be it. If it says Jesus rose from the dead, so be it.

Now, those things don't negate the need for a rational mind (in fact, the Bible demands it - "always be ready to give an answer"), and that implies the ability for conversation.

So here's the point: to me, the existence of God is non-negotiable. Evidence demands it, logic requires it, and human history supports it. That's my view. But how, exactly, am I to "give an answer" if I don't permit you to disagree?

I might not agree with other people's viewpoints on Jesus Christ, or on God the Father, and I actually disagree with a lot of Christians on how literally we should interpret the Bible. ...but I'll absolutely defend your right to disagree with me, whatever form that comes in; because at the end of the day, that's your right, just as it is mine. Someone might come in here and quote this, and mock me, and that's great. Someone might come in here and quote me, and agree - and that's great too... because without dialogue, there is nothing we can learn from each other; and without free speech, original thought finds only silence. Nobody learns in a vacuum, and however you engage, whether mockery, or satire, or honest dialogue, or confrontation, everybody deserves the right to have a voice. Whether you listen or not... well, that's up to you.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Onslaught2996 You should not be allowed to mock another's beliefs.

You're posting on an internet forum criticizing Maher's beliefs, which makes you conclude you should not be allowed to mock another's beliefs.

Ironic, huh?

Ouch. Nailed it. Your comment should have come with this:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

I like a lot of what Bill Maher has to say but I won't watch him anymore because he turns into a babbling idiot mirroring Bill O'Reilly when it comes to Islam. I wish he wouldn't say the things he does about Islam but I wouldn't wish he not be allowed to do so.

I don't think what people hold sacred should be mocked but it's not the governments business if someone decides to be that incredibly rude.
edit on 1/17/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Bill Mahers say flu vaccine ineffective, also says any religion should allowed to be mocked.

Found anything to support this yet?

originally posted by:FormOfTheLord

Ok here is Bill Mar talking about how Americans are stupid.

I think some are smart while others not so much. . .

Most people are stupid, I can personally attest to that!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Found anything to support this yet?

is this good enough.

Much of the influenza virus circulating in the United States has mutated and this year's vaccine doesn't provide good protection against it, federal health officials are warning.
CDC Warning: Flu Viruses Mutate and Evade Current Vaccine

ETA: then interestingly enough after this post i went back to the recent post board and saw this thread that was just posted.
Vaccines Ineffective, Harmful: Multiple New Studies

with this link in the OP, not gonna post the link you'll have to go to that thread.

New studies from Canada, the US, Japan and Hong Kong support Canada's 2009 finding that seasonal flu vaccination almost doubled the risk of infection with pandemic flu -

edit on 17-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

It's a lottery really.

My husband makes vaccines, so he has an understanding of how they operate. While he doesn't make the flu vaccine itself, the principles are the same.

It does increase your chances of not getting the flu every year, but it is a crap shoot. It might work for you and it might not. It might be a good match for that year's prevalent flu strains and it might not. And there are always the risks of side effects. This year, they didn't pick well, so you have about a 23% chance that it will protect you.

As far my husband is concerned some vaccines are very useful and necessary and some are not. We do not generally get the flu vaccine for example. He doesn't consider the risk/reward to be worthwhile at the moment. That equation might change as we age or there might be a super nasty flu strain that might change the equation one year. Last year, I did get the shot because I have a small amount of asthma and I had just gotten done with a bad bought of bronchitis that aggravated it when flu season started. He supported that decision.

In general, a flu shot won't likely hurt you, but it may not help you much either. If it did this year congrats!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
is this good enough.

Not really, I was after something the OP says Maher had said, all the rest of your post is just anti-vaccine nonsense that's completely off topic....

However, from your link:

The flu vaccine protects against three or four strains of flu — there's always a mix of flu viruses going around — and H3N2 is one of them. But the strain of H3N2 infecting most people has mutated and only about half of cases match the vaccine, CDC said.

Flu viruses do this all the time. The mutations are called "drift" and vaccines, formulated months in advance, often don't protect well against drifted viruses although they may provide a little of what's called cross protection.

"We are recommending strongly still that people who haven't been vaccinated get vaccinated. Every year vaccine is the best way to protect yourself against the flu," the CDC's flu expert Dr. Joe Bresee told NBC News.

"Though reduced, this cross-protection might reduce the likelihood of severe outcomes such as hospitalization and death," CDC said in a health advisory to doctors. "And the vaccine still protects against half the circulating H3N2,as well as H1N1 flu and the B strains.

You're irresponsible and ignorant agenda has no place here....

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Your 2015 Flu shot probably isn't working.
That's from msnbc.
FOX news and others are carrying the story too, because the CDC has urged early flu treatment due to the relative ineffectiveness of this year's vaccine.
edit on bu312015-01-17T08:59:40-06:0008America/ChicagoSat, 17 Jan 2015 08:59:40 -06008u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
You'll have to forgive me for not really giving neither morning Joe nor fox news even the slightest amount of credibility.

They both thrive on sensationalism and the ignorance of their viewers TBH.
edit on 17-1-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yep and this is always a possibility which is why my husband doesn't generally judge the flu shot to be worthwhile if you are otherwise a healthy individual in an otherwise normal flu year. The only risk then is that a drift might create an abnormally bad strain of flu, but then the shot won't cover anyone in all likelihood.

edit on 17-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
You'll have to forgive me for not really giving neither morning Joe nor fox news even the slightest amount of credibility.

What about someone who is married to a man who makes vaccines for a living and has the degrees to understand what they do and don't do?

He doesn't generally like the flu shot. Other vaccines are great, but the flu shot generally not so much. It's a crap shoot for each person year-by-year as to how effective it will be. It's just the nature of the disease in question and process by which it is made.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Prezbo369

What about someone who is married to a man who makes vaccines for a living and has the degrees to understand what they do and don't do?

He doesn't generally like the flu shot. Other vaccines are great, but the flu shot generally not so much. It's a crap shoot for each person year-by-year as to how effective it will be. It's just the nature of the disease in question and process by which it is made.

Your Husband?

No not really, it should really take more than one persons say so to convince you of such a thing...

Even if Albert Einstein came out and said something that was contrary to the rest of the scientific community (as your husband has) then he'd need to demonstrate and verify it.
edit on 17-1-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

As for religion..what you belief is yours , your problem not mine or his. You should not be allowed to mock another's beliefs.
Can I mock nazi beliefs or the beliefs of pedophiles? Can I challenge or criticise them?

Why the free pass for religions?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Your 2015 Flu shot probably isn't working.
That's from msnbc.
FOX news and others are carrying the story too, because the CDC has urged early flu treatment due to the relative ineffectiveness of this year's vaccine.

Prezbo....

It used to be that FOX was no good, now is any TV news I guess.
Is the CDC worth citing?
edit on bu312015-01-17T09:33:38-06:0009America/ChicagoSat, 17 Jan 2015 09:33:38 -06009u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Is the CDC worth citing?

Yes, yes it is.

Fox news et al?

No.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The CDC is where the others got their story.
But then I did explain that in my first post.

edit on bu312015-01-17T09:35:56-06:0009America/ChicagoSat, 17 Jan 2015 09:35:56 -06009u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Sure OK.

A man who has spent his entire career as a scientist intimately involved in making vaccines and understands how they are made, what they are supposed to do, why, etc.

He clearly knows nothing at all about whether or not a certain vaccine might or might not be worth someone's time.

Btw, he's had more vaccines than likely any of the rest of us here, so it isn't a matter of him not trusting vaccines. He just doesn't think the flu vaccine is worth it when all is said and done.
edit on 17-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

If you look, they purposefully misquoted what is attributed to the CDC.

See my post further up the page...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

A man who has spent his entire career as a scientist intimately involved in making vaccines and understands how they are made, what they are supposed to do, why, etc.

Such a person would know how science works and that one mans individual interpretation of his experiences doesn't mean squat.

It's kinda kinda the whole deal with science and someone like the person you describe would know this......

He clearly knows nothing at all about whether or not a certain vaccine might or might not be worth someone's time.

If the person you describe said the things you claim he said, then yeah...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join