It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did meteor strike create 'Bermuda Triangle of the North'?

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There is a spot in Lake Ontario just off the shores of New York that has had similar disappearances to that of the Bermuda Triangle. Here is one case out of 100 that became legend and spawned the nickname 'Bermuda Triangle of the North'

Setting sail on a clear sunny day in late June 1900, Capt. J. Sidley, along with his 12-year-old son, Vessy, left Rochester, N.Y., aboard the 100-foot schooner Picton. With a crew of five and a cargo of coal bound for Belleville, Ont., the ship picked up speed heading across Lake Ontario.

A strong wind took the topsail off the Picton, and two following ships saw her suddenly vanish, as if being sucked to the bottom of the lake. When they reached the Picton’s last position, all that remained was a sailor’s cap and some floating deck debris.

A new article in the Ottawa Citizen explains how research has discovered that a meteor may have caused a large circular depression in the eastern part of Lake Ontario that may be related to these disappearances

Did a meteor strike give birth to the mysterious 'Bermuda Triangle of the North'

After so many disappearances, the locals called the area the Marysburgh Vortex. Allegedly, there have been over 100 disappearances in the area that defy explanation.

Here is a link to a good article about the mystery of the Marysburgh Vortex

The Marysburgh Vortex

There is an area called Charity Shoal that is 25 km south of Kingston, Ontario. On the link above there is a video that shows this area at the bottom of the lake. The shoal is 25 in depth and 1 km in diameter. The NOAA and the National Geophysical Data Center did a study and here's a bit from their report.

“A small equidimensional circular depression 1000 meters in diameter, with a continuous encircling rim, coincides with the feature referred to as Charity Shoal on nautical charts. An elongated ridge extends southwest from the feature, resembling the tail of a crag-and-tail feature common to some drumlin fields. The basin is slightly deeper than 18 meters and the rim rises to depths of 2-6 meters. The origin of the feature remains unknown. Although a sinkhole in the limestone terrane is a possibility, an origin related to a meteor crater, that was subsequently glaciated, seems more likely. Aeromagnetic mapping by the Geological Survey of Canada revealed a negative magnetic anomaly over Charity Shoal, which is a characteristic feature of simple impact craters.”

So, they believe the shoal was created by an meteor strike. It is believed that the depression could be as old as 460 million years. They explain in their report how the impact may have pushed so hard on the earth's crust that it may have brought up some molten material that causes theses magnetic anomalies, or that it's the materials from the meteorite itself. The meteorite may be an iron-nickel meteor which is made up of materials that the planets were made of.

Their research shows that the underwater structure is defined by a ring-like magnetic high and central magnetic low, with the total field magnetic anomaly being quite large, which cannot be accounted for.

The study then states that the anomaly’s “large magnitude indicates a deep basin and/or demagnetization effects in the Precambrian basement rocks below the structure.” The study concludes the structure is “consistent with a meteorite impact.”

If this is the case, then the mineral deposits or deformation of the earth’s surface from a 460-million-year-old meteor impact could possibly give us further answers.

Richard Herd, retired curator of the National Meteorite Collection of the Geological Survey of Canada, states the impact of such a meteor could “depress the earth’s crust and have brought up molten material from inside.” Herd also explains that meteors are of two types: stony and iron-nickel meteor, the latter being parts of small planets from when the solar system was formed.

Further underwater studies are necessary to see what the structure really is and to see if it is emitting a strong magnetic field affecting navigational instruments. The crater itself is similar in size to the known Barringer crater in Arizona which was formed by a iron-nickel meteor about 160 feet in diameter.

The author of the article said he himself grew up in the area and was intrigued by the mystery, so he set out on a voyage through the area. He said that his family had witnessed the erratic movements of their own compass, along with terrifyingly swift changes in weather.

Navigational charts become a trusted aid in making your way through these unpredictable waters, and on them is a warning: “Magnetic Anomaly: Anomalies in the variation of the compass readings may range from 27 degrees west to 3 degrees east.”

There is some information in the article above about Project Magnet, which was a government study into these Bermuda Triangle type areas of the world by our government.

At any rate, I thought this was an interesting story, definitely worthy of some ATS review. I'll share this final piece from the article about how the Marysburgh Vortex continues to baffle the folks of the area with this most recent disappearance in 2013.

Meanwhile, the legend of the Marysburgh Vortex continues. In 2013, an unmanned sailboat was spotted drifting off the southern shore of Prince Edward County. A recovery crew was dispatched and, according to the local newspaper The County Weekly News, the 32-foot sail boat Persnickety had last sailed out of Sodus Bay, N.Y. The boat was found with all sails up, no signs of trouble and, after a closer inspection by authorities, the operator’s drivers licence, money, food and ice in a cooler were found intact on board. A three-day search for the missing operator was unsuccessful and the reason for the disappearance remains unsolved.

Perhaps this unique crater on the lake floor is composed of meteorite minerals that affect the earth’s natural magnetic fields and in turn displace compass readings of nearby vessels, sending them off course into uncharted shoals. With the advent of GPS and improved navigational aids, the frequency of ships disappearing has certainly diminished, but until what lies beneath is studied in greater detail, it seems the Marysburgh Vortex will continue to be a source of mystery.

edit on 16-1-2015 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Why a triangle all the time? Is that a conspiracy?

How about a Mystery rectangle… oh, wouldn't "sell".

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Interesting post Rez.....
The "vile vortices" (Bermuda triangle type areas) are said by some to exist at 19.5 degrees lat (both sides of the equator)
in a ring around the earth.....
Thus they form two belts of vortices interspersed along that lat.....they are triangular as well......
Perhaps these anomalous areas are somehow magnetic in origin as well.....
Maybe they even get powered by some mechanism of sun activity......?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Here's an old ATS thread about Project Magnet that claims it was a project studying flying saucers, but in the article I've linked about the Marysburgh Vortex, it states that the US government and the Canadian governments Dept. of Transportation were studying magnetic field disturbances. This was started in 1950.

ATS thread from 2007

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wilbert Smith developed an instrument which could detect the residue vortex created by atomic explosions....
These Vorticies lingered long after the blast effect, causing aircraft to crash from overstress loading on the weakened materials that they were made of......Aparently the atomic structure of the materials was affected by these vorticies.....

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Wilbert Smith developed an instrument which could detect the residue vortex created by atomic explosions....
These Vorticies lingered long after the blast effect, causing aircraft to crash from overstress loading on the weakened materials that they were made of......Aparently the atomic structure of the materials was affected by these vorticies.....

So atomic explosions would even create these vortexes? So, if a meteorite explosion and an atomic explosion can both cause these magnetic anomalies, then what is it about these explosions that cause it? How are they tied together, if they are?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Very cool topic Rexlooper!
Page 181 under magnetic anomalies, for those interested.
www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov...

I saw a chart of Lake Superior from 1960 that included the magnetic lines ect...that just fired up some speculation of mine that more things go on out there than I can imagine. Altho it seems practical for shipping.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Interesting about the possibility of a meteor crater there.
The definitive test, will be finding shocked quartz and/or shatter-cones and breccia in the rim area.

It is hard to imagine how a meteor crater can influence the surrounding environment, other than a slight gravity well.

Interesting thread. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Can't link the Google photo.
If you go to Google earth or Bing.
Go to Quebec and look to the right. There is a perfect circle..

Lac Manicouagan.

I'm fascinated buy this lake..
It was a meteor strike that created it.
Far from Ontario..
But it wouldn't surprise me of the case you presented..

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
But how would the supposed magnetic disturbances futz with the winds? It seems pretty clear to me that it's sail-demolishing winds are more likely to be tied to the prevalent wind direction & how it flows around the shoreline than magnetism. If the wind direction is volatile enough, you get some wicked currents in the water, too (ask any Gulf Coaster about this one come cold front season)

The mineralogy aspect is pretty cool, though. I bet there's a bunch of folks just itching to put that stuff under microscopes for a good look.
edit on 1/16/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The government needs start look into this because more disappear if decision is to ignore. Might reach a thousand before anyone from the government or anyone else realises when people are missing, it becomes a problem in need of assistance from the highest authority being the government without a doubt. Investigations into events such as this one can be very beneficial to both government, scientific community and army. It says theres been over hundred disappearance so far. I'm afraid this will become serious if we don't start doing something now. Its very unnatural and needs to be investigated without a doubt. Like it says its over a hundred now.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Damn, I was looking at buying land and canoeing in that area...that vortex.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
theres always been mystery surrounding lakes all across the world and stories of strange creatures being spotted in water or land, usual location being a forest or pretty much any area with a low or even non-existant human population with a purpose to remain in complete stealth. Several different creatures have had similar characteristics in behavior. Sightings occur as well as reports of livestock mutilations. Although rare, attacks on humans is always a possibility so to ensure safety have a map, survival equipment and training. LOL Safety or no safety nobody is going to believe you anyways. Unless you have it on video. Pictures dont count. They dont really prove anything.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
i only encourage safety and to be protected for the purpose of being exposed to not only unknown danger but also predators from that particular environment including many situations where your safety becomes a problem. always have gps and weapons because not being prepared is not smart. Read anything on hiking safety and survival before going anywhere because thats what smart people do.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Interesting about the possibility of a meteor crater there.
The definitive test, will be finding shocked quartz and/or shatter-cones and breccia in the rim area.

It is hard to imagine how a meteor crater can influence the surrounding environment, other than a slight gravity well.

Interesting thread. Thanks!

I was wondering about how it could influence the area as well. This meteor crater would be very similar in size to the Arizona crater, so is there anomalies there? What makes this one different? They say they believe that both meteors were of nickel and iron, but maybe not.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Sorry, been absent of the thread a few days.

I have been to Winslow, and spend a day at the site. It is breathtaking, and you just have this ominous feeling of what it was like to be anywhere near there when that thing hit. I did not get the same feeling when I visited the Grand Canyon, as cool as that is. So, an anomaly, certainly in the mind, but perhaps, some way, the force of what happened there has somehow been imprinted in the environment. Pseudo Scientific yes, but perhaps there are yet some things we do not know about how our Earth reacts to extreme stress.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
One of the things that immediately come to mind, if I am trying to imagine witnessing an event like what happened at Winslow, is what must have been an enormous electrical event at the instant of impacting the quartz laden earth. This is most likely quickly over-shadowed by the upheaval of earth, flame and the expanding crater.

We just don't know, because we have never been able to analyze an Earth impact event in real time.

I always think of the simple experiment of striking a quartz crystal, and seeing the sparks. It just makes sense that on a scale of what would be Winslow, there would be a huge electrical discharge. I wonder what it would look like.

edit on 26-1-2015 by charlyv because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

They say they believe that both meteors were of nickel and iron, but maybe not.

Iron and nickel are both ferromagnetic, so perhaps there is some viability to the idea that a meteor actually could influence the magnetics of a surrounding area ?

Interesting thought to ponder.

top topics

join