It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, about your signature…...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight
Awareness of self and in relationship to the environment….yes, these are important abstractions of consciousness.
There's a book by Frank Herbert, Dune author, called "Destination Void," which explores the idea of "building" a computer that can mimic consciousness, and have this awareness we are talking about. But the whole idea of the book is exploring what consciousness actually is: awareness of self, and departing programming and displaying autonomy which denotes this awareness of self and environment……

But, there is spirit, and more to it, perhaps. Can mankind create a machine that becomes conscious? Is that a good idea? There is another book I will look for about a mainframe that was built around 1972, and was asked to predict future scenarios based on information it was fed about "history….."

The awareness of self without a body to experience emotion in relation to our environment may be a very dangerous thing….

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50

The awareness of self without a body to experience emotion in relation to our environment may be a very dangerous thing….

Yea.. And you know what the weirdest part about that is?

We already have that computer that can sense it's environment. We are already here.

And I do agree about spirit, but I leave room for other views. I try not to judge people on that.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight
a reply to: Psynic

you are logged out?

What does information is not knowledge mean?

It's a thought I want to convey to people all the time, but what's your take?

It's one of my issues with the AI movement. IE computers don't know anything.

Yes, I'm logged on.

My sig is a quote from Albert Einstein.

I agree with him.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
As of yesterday or today, I'm not seeing anyone's avatar.

I thought this thread may have been about this new development.

Anyone know what's going on?

Did your account settings solve the problem?

Negative.

I've got double 'show' selected.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I love siggies, avatars, locations, moods and profile pages...it's a form of self expression and a way to get to know members.

I have been collecting "moods" for well over a year cuz I want to do a thread...some are harious.
some are like whaaaaa!? You've inspired me to finish it Tetra (not a fish).

I remember whaaa....

I change my signature depending on the thread and posting environment currently in vogue on ATS...
This current sig is simply a personal reminder that no matter how slick you think you are; your ego can get you into trouble.
I just got my butt kicked at a holdem tournament recently, thus the Amarillo Slim quote.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

Yea.. And you know what the weirdest part about that is?

We already have that computer that can sense it's environment. We are already here.

And I do agree about spirit, but I leave room for other views. I try not to judge people on that.

Oh, there's absolutely no judging people involved in this conceptual exploration. I am well aware we are here. We have been for quite some time. Some call what you are talking about, the Control System. It is a term coined by Jacques Valee….Link

And yes, this is one way of looking at it. But--once a quantum computer is turned on, then it's always been "on"….

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The first two lines are mine. The link is just SO funny imo.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The first two lines are mine. The link is just SO funny imo.

Hey there Intrepid.
Yeah, i knew the first reply I got to this thread would be about my own sig….lol
That's fine…..as I said it is a subtle point and juxtaposition….

Must be photoshopped….no way they got that expression on a bird's face for real….lol
edit on 16-1-2015 by tetra50 because: i wanted to

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I don't think anyone has ever written to me about my sig lines. The first one is to give credit where credit is due.
The second is my personal philosophy, and an attempt to not take myself so seriously.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

It' s all about the cookies.

ALWAYS!

Except when it's about a Pet Forum.

Peace
edit on 16-1-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
I don't think anyone has ever written to me about my sig lines. The first one is to give credit where credit is due.
The second is my personal philosophy, and an attempt to not take myself so seriously.

That's absolutely hilarious….I hadn't seen it. Thanks for adding it here to the signature thread….lol

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

It' s all about the cookies.

ALWAYS!

Except when it's about a Pet Forum.

Peace

Thanks, Jude. Cookies, huh. It's always good to not open every link given….
Also, good to clear that cache occasionally. Guess you just never know what's taggimg along…..
I'm not a cookie consumer, though…..lol.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Does my Avatar distract people? I could find something more confusing I suppose.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Mine is just a stargate image to my TTRPG thread.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Does my Avatar distract people? I could find something more confusing I suppose.

You dug it up and attached it to a wooden club. I think you dug it up digging a fence post? or you used a fence post for the wood. You think it's an old "Indian" tool?? Michigan is popping in my head.

Something like that.

Lol just read your mood, but I did draw that from memory. some time long ago, you wrote about you avatar.
edit on 16-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Mine is about a story I like to tell people.

A bird is flying through the air when he hits a gust of wind and goes down in a farmer's field.

A cow walks by him and poops and it lands on him.
The bird is thinking "this sucks"
At that moment a cat walks by and starts licking the bird clean and he thinks "this is good"
Than...the cat eats him.

Moral of the story is my signature.
Just because someone craps on you doesn't make them your enemy and just because someone helps you doesn't make them your friend.

edit on 16-1-2015 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Hey rickymouse. I'm used to it now. This is really about our sigs, if you have one, though. And it isn't so much about distraction, as just a way and a place for people to comment on sigs, as within threads, it would be Off Topic...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
it usually takes me years to finish one...and i write in italian, so that might be problematic

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I like this idea for a thread. I've always tried very hard to NOT make any assumptions based on what I thought avatars meant...but, it occured to me a while ago that the appellation (screen-name) might reflect certain psychological needs to be recognised in certain ways...signature, probably more-so (for those who really wanted to expand on it)...both (to me - sometimes) can appear as a kind of clothing worn, to present in a particular way (or not really at all)...

If I was ever confused, I PM members (admittedly a very rare occurence).

Starred thread.

Cheers

Å99

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just old school stuff here. No bull, no more said than needed, and hanging on in while this place changes focus daily.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join