It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You want affordable land in the PNW? Forget it, all the good land has been taken.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Looking into getting some more land for a secondary Bug-Out Location.
It turns out you're talking AT LEAST $25k to $30k and there's a chance of CCR (Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions).

I am fortunate to have at least a parcel of land next to a national forest with many trees, the trouble is the snow and highway closure is a deal-breaker during the winter months. So another place is necessary. It's gotta have lots of trees on the property, have more trees in the national forest and be secluded, plus accessible by 4x4 in winter.

So searching I go on the real-estate forum Zillow. The ultra-cheap land is about 0.5 acres, is waaay to close to the neighbors, Home-Owner Associations (more fees per year on top of the property taxes) etc. I also notice much of the land for sale is almost always within 400 yards of a highway or even along interstate corridors. Minimal land is available in lots but these are often being sold in parcels where you'll be close-by to neighbors. Neighbors are good, but I don't like them on top of me either.

So to folks saying get some dirt as a bug-out location, it ain't easy to find the good places I tell ya!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

It was all bought in 1990's by the wealthy from California real estate pricing doubling and people made big money then moved to PNW.
Too late...try Idaho.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Looking at land in the north of England, we're talking around £40,000.00 ($61,000.00US) for around an acre with planning permission (permission to build a house).

I'm thinking though if I need to bug out then I would just head for the hills and get set up on any old land. Obviously this would not allow for planning/stocking supplies.

Actually no... I'd join the resistance. Fight not flight

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Bug out is not possible unless you go to places like the Amazon rainforest. Nomadic skills are the best alternative.

Anyway, I'd like to have a cabin in the forest for vacation purposes.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Hmm, I don't see why highway closure is a bad thing for a bug-out location. Most of Alaskans live in those conditions and that's their normal, not bug-out.

They either run dogs or snow-mobiles with trailers to run supplies in and out during the winter and usually 4 wheelers with similar trailers in the summer. They do have fairly close neighbors, often, and they form loose relationships. Splitting the meat from a moose, ideas, so on.

Think of the Ozark crowd, but on steroids, with a fairly high social co-operation for survival purposes...

Your piece of property sound perfect!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
A bug out place that`s too easy to get to won`t be very effective as a bug out place,will it? if you can just drive right up to it in your 4X4 everybody else will be able to also in their 4X4`s.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What makes you think that owning a chunk of land is going to get you by. When the SHTF there will be no boundaries, land ownership will be in the hands of those that can defend it not that you paid for it before the sh** started.
If I'm around after and you have something I want I wouldn't give a damn whether the land is yours or the goverments I'll try and take it. And that goes for the other couple of thousand people behind me.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

True, BUT, there would be easier targets than a relatively inaccessible location with questionable gains....

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Ah but. When the SHTF the easier targets will be the first to go. Then you look around spreading your search to more out of the way places. And when you have nothing, even a small gain is a gain.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Yup. Right up to the point where he set up his claymore....

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It wont be so bad if your rural... the key is to dig down and hide that entrance well...

How long do you guys think people would survive from the danger point? You know all it takes is one car to break on the highway before city dwellers are on foot, really imagine that, the chaos and guns and disease, then winter... you wont get beyond one winter in the North before the mobs are gone

And you have to be underground regardless because of meltdowns, there is no above ground shelter safe from that... I'd say burn the house down above your shelter so you look pre looted, who the hell will dig through the rubble to find your trap door? No one...

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Bug out is not possible unless you go to places like the Amazon rainforest. Nomadic skills are the best alternative.

You ever lived in the Great Outdoors of the USA?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
A bug out place that`s too easy to get to won`t be very effective as a bug out place,will it? if you can just drive right up to it in your 4X4 everybody else will be able to also in their 4X4`s.

True, but if you've got plenty of trees you can fell them in the private road that leads to the place to slow them up.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Hmm, I don't see why highway closure is a bad thing for a bug-out location. Most of Alaskans live in those conditions and that's their normal, not bug-out.

They either run dogs or snow-mobiles with trailers to run supplies in and out during the winter and usually 4 wheelers with similar trailers in the summer. They do have fairly close neighbors, often, and they form loose relationships. Splitting the meat from a moose, ideas, so on.

Think of the Ozark crowd, but on steroids, with a fairly high social co-operation for survival purposes...

Your piece of property sound perfect!

it is perfect in many ways, but I guess it means I have to invest in snowmobiles or get a set of skis out! LOL

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

That's what I like about the A-Boards, people honestly tell it like it is. Thanks for that.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm looking to buy around 3-5 acres in the next 3-5 years and build my dream home. Property can be found. I've found it.

I've found a number of places with 10 + acres for less than $20k near lakes/rivers. It's not going to be close to anything, but with that much land and some smart thinking you could prep it easily. Hunt fish and plant your food.

Then again I don't know what you think is reasonable $ and what exactly you want.

I'm looking to spend $100k-$200k +/- for 3-5 acres that isn't too far from a major highway (commuting) and is close enough to power/sewage so I don't end up spending a ton. I also want it enough off the beaten path so if need be I can down some trees and essentially cut off road access, but on a road that is serviceable if things are going as they should. I want the lot to be wooded too, just in case someone buys something close so that I can maintain privacy.

This is a decent link to look at properties in WA.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Looking at land in the north of England, we're talking around £40,000.00 ($61,000.00US) for around an acre with planning permission (permission to build a house).

I'm thinking though if I need to bug out then I would just head for the hills and get set up on any old land. Obviously this would not allow for planning/stocking supplies.

Actually no... I'd join the resistance. Fight not flight

Actually find some rural land no ones goes to and burry you stash.

No need to buy the land

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I'm looking to buy around 3-5 acres in the next 3-5 years and build my dream home. Property can be found. I've found it.

I've found a number of places with 10 + acres for less than $20k near lakes/rivers. It's not going to be close to anything, but with that much land and some smart thinking you could prep it easily. Hunt fish and plant your food.

Then again I don't know what you think is reasonable $ and what exactly you want.

I'm looking to spend $100k-$200k +/- for 3-5 acres that isn't too far from a major highway (commuting) and is close enough to power/sewage so I don't end up spending a ton. I also want it enough off the beaten path so if need be I can down some trees and essentially cut off road access, but on a road that is serviceable if things are going as they should. I want the lot to be wooded too, just in case someone buys something close so that I can maintain privacy.

This is a decent link to look at properties in WA.

I'm with you on that. I don't want to spend more than $20k - $25k. WA is ok, but going a bit liberal in Seattle. I'd still consider it though.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It's only like that around the seattle cluster of cities. I can't say for Spokane or Yakima, but there are plenty of more rural areas where people are of a more conservative mindset. If that is what you're looking for I think you will get along just fine. We have mountain man hermits, farmers, outdoorsmen, hunters & fishermen and everything. You could say we have the best of both worlds here.

Plus, obviously, we share a border with Canada and the Pacific Ocean, both of which offer their own advantages. We have mountains, desert, forest, rainforest, plenty of rivers, urban, suburban, rural, beaches, pretty much everything all in one place.

We are like a microcosm of all the best things about the USA. Just don't go around telling everyone... it's our little secret. Oh wait... oops... i mean, nevermind... it sucks here, really... it rains every single day and all the roads are made out of mud. And then of course theres the man eating pteradactyls that you cant kill because their skin is made out of adamantium like Wolverine's skeleton. And they breath fire. And bleed acid like on the Alien film series... But you'll never see them bleed cause of their armored skin. Lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Nope, nothing here in Montana. All the land has already been bought and no one is selling. Don't even bother looking, just trust me! Any land that is for sale is like 2, 3 million a square foot, so you wouldn't want it anyway. I think you should just keep looking in Washington and Oregon. Honest, I wouldn't lie!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join