It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Man didn't create the oil, it was here before we were.
Hydrocarbons escape from the earth and oceans all the time, far more over time then we have ever burned.
originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: charlyv
George Carlin was no scientist and that skit was for comedy.
Unless we collectively have a paradigm shift ....
Oddly, man is blamed for the increase in co2, and yet man's contribution to the greenhouse effect is a whopping 0.25%. Yes, one quarter of one percent.
Co2 levels are currently at 400ppm, and yet one of the most life-diverse successful periods in the history of the world saw co2 levels at 4800ppm (sorry, man was not around) and during that 4800ppm co2 level period an ice age began.
When CO2 levels were higher in the past, solar levels were also lower. The combined effect of sun and CO2 matches well with climate.
Nature contributes 770 million tons of carbon to the atmosphere every year. Man contributes but 40 million tons. 95% of the greenhouse effect is water vapor....the remaining 5% are all the rest of the greenhouse gases including co2.
Often man's contribution is misrepresented by excluding the effect of water vapor. Then man's contribution to co2 is roughly 5%. By misrepresenting co2 as the major contributor (excluding water vapor) one could very well develop the impression that man is driving global warming....specially if you leave out the FACT that global warming is exactly what is supposed to be happening right now. Correlation does not equal causation. Faulty and misrepresented science is still faulty.
Ample physical evidence shows that carbon dioxide (CO2) is the single most important climate-relevant greenhouse gas in Earth's atmosphere. This is because CO2, like ozone, N2O, CH4, and chlorofluorocarbons, does not condense and precipitate from the atmosphere at current climate temperatures, whereas water vapor can, and does. Non-condensing greenhouse gases, which account for 25% of the total terrestrial greenhouse effect, thus serve to provide the stable temperature structure that sustains the current levels of atmospheric water vapor and clouds via feedback processes that account for the remaining 75% of the greenhouse effect. Without the radiative forcing supplied by CO2 and the other non-condensing greenhouse gases, the terrestrial greenhouse would collapse, plunging the global climate into an icebound Earth state.
originally posted by: Metallicus
So where did these imaginary 'planetary boundaries' come from exactly? There is no instruction manual for the planet with specifications and tolerances last time I checked.
Maybe they should take all that funding for this BS research and put it into something useful like free energy or desalination. Then these useless tools would be doing something helpful.
So where did these imaginary 'planetary boundaries' come from exactly?
originally posted by: ImaFungi
originally posted by: neo96
But i have had enough of the climatephobes.
People really do think the planet is out to get us.
Thank you, your genius, strength, and bravery make me and the rest of the humans to ever live on this planet feel safe.