It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the bible is not relevent today.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
i am an atheist and currently reading the bible and more scientific facts that would show the bible to be incorrect. Im doing this so i have both sides of the arguement and can make up my mind as to which one is correct. I knew a little about the bible and the basic story during biblical times, although it is only after reading most that i find it to be ludicrus and no offence to christians but you cannot be intelligent or logical if you believe in the bible. I cannot disprove or come up with an answer to how the prophecies came true. my only answer would be that if you make a prediction or tell someone something will happen in their life then sooner or later it will. for example if i go to a fortune teller and he tells me that i will get married within 3 years, then my next girlfriend subconciously i would probably have already decided i would marry her because of what the fortune teller said. the prophecies in the bible were known, furfilled and changed to fit in a little too perfectly. there is no evidence today that shows the bible should be taken literaly or on a spiritual level of any kind. science has proof today that the biblical characters did not know about that proves what they wrote about before and after jesus was wrong. why is there no mention of dinosaurs in the bible? because the word dinosaur wasn't invented untill 1900s, therefore they did not write about them simply because their so called know-all god did not know about dinosaurs nor did the likes of moses, jesus etc. the bible is simply a way of life 2000 and more years ago, the messiah born of a virgin is merely a stolen hindu legend or which the egyption civilisation had a similar story. maybe im looking in to it a little too much, but then again im so sick of believers going on about how great god is and how great it's going to be when he comes back. i would just like conclusive proof that will show you are wrong, and that day will be very soon. science is the future!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Even if you don�t believe in God and think the bible is pure fiction it�s still a book that should be read and studied by everyone. We can find universal truths throughout the Bible. The bible and its stories speak to the human condition, because it speaks of mans weaknesses, pride, desires and lust as you know these things are timeless because it�s apart of being human. Christian faith is the belief that we are children of God and that the bible is his true record. Anyone can see the universal truths in the bible, not just people of faith, in this way it can be a benefit to all people for all time.

If you are looking for "proof" you won't find it we must rely on our faith.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I have met Chrisitans who are intelligent and logical, I have almost met ones that are not. I have met atheists who are intelligent and logical, I've also met some pretty dumb ones. People are people, intelligence has nothing to do with it.

They dont mention gravity in the Bible either, but I dont see how that has any merit on the Bibles validity. I think perhaps mentioning dinosaurs, or anything else they had no way of knowing, would help prove its divine inspiration, but I dont think it's very relevant to mankinds salvation.

Goodluck on your quest to conclusively prove the bible invalid, but you wont get anywhere. Christianity has evolved over the years to fit with scientific studies, like how the earth isnt the center of the galaxy, and how we evolved from lower species. They can be accepted and molded into Christianity, so I believe your efforts wont get you off the ground.

Which prophecies are you talking about? Oh, and I dont believe in the Bible either, just pointing out some things.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I am a Christian and I have to rely on faith because, I agree there is so much within the Bible that is hypocritical of God and what to follow. I wouldn't say that the Bible is not relevant today. The old testament has a lot of things in it that apply to what you can use today. Read proverbs, for example. My girlfriends son is an idiot and he argues about everything, constantly. In proverbs it talks about fools and how you shouldn't argue with a fool, because it is like talking to a wall. See, the Bible isn't completely nonsense. Faith is another matter. As you are an athiest, I cannot persuade you to see it my way, because having faith is also a matter of faith. I think you either see it one way or another, but in the end, we will all see how far off we were. I am an example , however, of a Christian who believes in God but doubts the literal interpretations of what is said within the Bible. A lot of it is garbage under certain circumstances. I don't think it was meant to be completely absolute.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
i agree with the title of this topic.
It was relevent one day, its not today

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser

What are you talking about? Your saying that when people need comfort the bible dosen't offer it. When people need something to turn to for guidance the bible dosen't offer it. The bible has stayed relevant ever since it was written.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The reason people dont think the Bible is relevant today is because our way of speaking has changed. Just like people dont understand shakespiere. Not every story in the Bible actually happened. Im sure that there wasnt an Adam and Eve and I have seriouse doubts about Noahs ark. Some stories were meant to teach a moral. Just like the boy who cried wolfe. I dont think Dinosaurs or evolution or anything like that was mentioned by God because people back then wouldnt have understood it.
I am a confirmed Catholic and I believe in Jesus and all the messages in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I am going to have to say, that you shauny, are not looking for the other side of the argument. Rather, you are looking for faults in the Bible. You are reading it critically, because you feel that there is no way it can all add up. You feel that its blatant disregard for science makes it "a peice of its time" when science wasn't as prevelant. You feel that in todays world where science can be seen, we don't need a giant book of rules and regulations to guide us based on an anti-scientific ideaology.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well...moat of you know I am not Christian....but I don't know so much about that...if you follow the basic tenets of the bible, you have good sound rules to live your life by, "if" you follow the way it's "supposed" to be followed...I think it would fit any day and age....actually, most religions fit this

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
LadyV,

I have to disagree with you on this one. If you follow the Bible as a guide at all, and do not use your mind, then you will end up sacrificing cows, slaughtering entire groups of people you do not agree with, killing baby's, and stoning women for being raped...etc. I used to think like you do, that it is a good moral guide. I have come to realize that it is simply not that way, but rather I am guilty of something I complain about every day. Lowering myself. What I mean by that is, the Bible isn't the moral guide, rather it is me. I have my own morals, and those are what I follow. There is nothing I will ever get out of the bible that I don't already know.

People often seem to give credit to god for things that hard working people did. "Thank God for (fill in the blank). Even though Bob down the road busted his rear end to make it possible. The common thought on this whole website is that aliens are smarter than humans....though that simply may not be true. It is almost like humans as a whole have a SEVERE inferiority complex.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
...I was omitting the OT and should of stated so......there's big difference between the OT and the NT....it's sorta like a change in command took place between the two books.....

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Even in the new testament, there are references to the sacrifice of animals, killing of people for wrong doings, ect. Though it is not as prevelant, it still exists. False prophets are to be executed, and just look at the passover. Those are examples from the top of my head. I could look more if you would like.

I do see the extreme difference though between the two books.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell

Originally posted by cheeser

What are you talking about? Your saying that when people need comfort the bible dosen't offer it. When people need something to turn to for guidance the bible dosen't offer it. The bible has stayed relevant ever since it was written.

If people NEED the bible for comfort, that just shows how brainwashed our society really is. If i need comfort, im going to my dog before i go to the bible.
I'm not saying these people are weak or idiots, these people probably have christian parents and where forced to go church every sunday morning from a early age.
Would you happen to know the figure of how many humans actually own a bible and frequently go to it for help? could you take a guess, if you where realalistic, it would only be a fraction.
It isnt relivant for the people that scavenge for food just to stay alive in third world countries. just like its not relevant to me.

[edit on 12/17/2004 by cheeser]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
CHEESER-good for you you go to your dog and see how far that gets you!

SHAUNY- the bible is relevent today!! just as relevent as jesus is!! you cannot have one without the other,if we only had the old testament i strongly doubt that it would have the impact that the whole deal together has. Jesus was the fulfillment of old testament prophecy, he is the messiah,he was god ,is god and is the living word of god. relevent is a funny word, i would say that relevent is relative,,,so for you to speculate someone elses reality might be too broad of a generilization to make. christ is not only relative in my life, he is my life! he is my source, he is my guide, he is my living word. relevent just falls flat , the word cannot stand up to attributes given to the creator of the universe, the god made flesh, the living word of god, the passover lamb! and again i say that to a true believer in christ there is no seperation between the relevence of the word and the relevence of THE WORD MADE FLESH !
THE WORD IS SO MUCH MORE THAN RELEVANT

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
why is there no mention of dinosaurs in the bible?

They are mentioned. Go to Job 40:15-24 God calls one behemoth.

The Bible is very relevant. You are looking to disprove it so that's what you will "find". Start studying it and authors that support it in their writings and you will be surprised what you will learn.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yeah right, "no offense."
1.The bible does reference dinosaurs twice, but not by name.
2. Not everything in the Bible is true, because it was wrote by men, who can embellish, lie, exaggerate (sp). Take for example the book of Esther, it is a mix of several stories, to create a single story with a purpose, that never happened.
3. The reason people think the Bible is irrelevant is nothing like Shakespeare, because the people of his time didn't understand his plays very well either. There was actually a "Shakespeare dictionary" that was created in his time, that came before the actual first dictionary. And there is actually some proof of a Noah's Ark-type happening. Records have actually been found in other ancient cultures os some sort of "great flood." As well as there still being the Ark on some mountian in Eurasia.
4. I agree that some of the stories of the Bible seem like pure fiction, such as the story of Samson. There truly does not seem like any way he can have possibly been for real, but i believe his story was exaggerated after his death in order to honor him, much like the Athurian legend. The fact is though that many of the stories in the bible can be viewed symbollically because of the lack of proof. Like Abram, or Abraham's story basically says to be righteous, you must have faith. That is how much of it becomes relevant. To say it isn't relevant, is like saying To Kill a Mockingbird has no merit in today's society, just because the actual events are different, it's like saying that we shouldn't learn history because they had another language way back when, it just doesn't make sense that way. Just because some of their problems were different doesn't mean that it is irrelevant. If you look at a lot of the stories less literally, they become relevant.
But as ben91069 said:

In proverbs it talks about fools and how you shouldn't argue with a fool, because it is like talking to a wall.

top topics

join