It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Negligent Discharge: Time to Talk About Gun Safety

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: j1776d

Nope. I knew the cop, we went inside and drank coffee and left the CYS people freezing on my front porch, while we discussed the differences between my 9mm and his .40 S&W.

A few months later the CYS worker was fired, when it was discovered that she had a new born taken from it's mother because she had a grudge against the mother from high school.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The feds have already started disarming many Americans in North Carolina. The latest was a case so exposed that the local news media had no choice but to expose the gun grab case. myfox8.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I absolutely agree with your assessment of firearms safety and the pure carelessness involved in these deaths. Though, I do suspect that the old "I was cleaning it and it just went off, officer. I can't believe I killed my spouse" line is delivered with a wink and a nod and a life insurance payoff.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that firearms should be left or stored in any place accessible to children. And neither should they be stored loaded unless meant for rapid emergency access.
There are plenty of easy-access safety storage options which prohibit children from obtaining the weapon. From lock boxes that mount to the bottom of a bed frame and require a 4 button sequence to open, or even personal biometrics, to safes with fingerprint readers that can be opened in seconds.
And anyone who attempts to clean a weapon without clearing and stripping it first kind of deserves to take themselves out of the general pool. But not anyone else.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

You mean like these tards?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The best firearms safety mechanism is the one between the ears of the person handling the firearm.

If it fails, all bets are off.

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 03:12 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 7 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have guns at home. But I don't know how I can get licsense for these . Im in the Phil.

posted on Nov, 25 2022 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this. Gun safety is paramount.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I’ll share something that happened with a new firearm back in 1990.

I had just bought a new pistol, a Walther P-88 in 9mm. I took it home and cleaned it, then took it to the range. Brought it home and cleaned it again, then loaded it for use as a home defense gun. After I loaded the gun, I engaged the hammer-drop safety, with my trigger finger completely outside the trigger guard and along the frame, with the gun pointed in a safe direction. When the hammer dropped, the gun fired, which it is not supposed to do, After reassuring the roommate that it was a function failure, I proceeded to completely disassemble the pistol, and found that the slide was assembled at the factory without a firing pin safety plunger spring. The one time I tested the hammer-drop safety at the range, it worked as intended - probably from oil or grease in the channel being enough to allow function once.

Lessons learned that day: Never, EVER rely on a mechanical safety on any firearm! ALWAYS completely disassemble a new or used gun you buy and perform a thorough cleaning and inspection, making sure all parts are present and in good condition.

Had I not pointed the muzzle in a safe direction, someone could’ve been killed or injured by that accidental discharge.
I took the pistol back to the gun store and had them order the correct spring from the Walther factory, which arrived two weeks later. Once installed, the pistol functioned flawlessly.

Mechanical failures can happen, even with a factory-new firearm. Handling a firearm safely, every time, will result in such mechanical failures producing nothing but a loud sound and a bullet hole in the floor.

posted on Feb, 23 2024 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Around 300 Million rifles and hand guns in the U.S.. Only if cars were this safe, or swimming pools, bath tubs, ex-wives, food...oh forget it, might as well be talking to an elected representative....

Yep, the deaths by guns are minuscule compared to 20 other well-known causes of senseless, tragic, endemic deaths, including kids.
But guns is the only one that simply must have an absolute complete sweep of the inanimate tool or machine involved.
It’s either total retardation, ignorance, or the desire to leave America’s independent motivated self starters ….. easily enslaved by democrats and communists.
The “sad, tragic” stats are about 50% BS as well. Sneak the gang-bangers into the “child” and “mass” shootings, roll suicides into it. Lie cheat and steal 24/7.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join