It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents investigated for neglect after letting kids walk home alone

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Montana

originally posted by: Tangerine

Yes, I remember when everyone in town knew everyone else. There may still be some places like that but those who suggest that everyone should know all their neighbors for miles around today are forgetting how highly mobile society is. Very few people still live in the communities where their parents and grandparents spent their whole lives.

No one is talking "miles around" but certainly you should seek out, meet, and get to know those people who live in the area your children would be allowed access to. This seems only common sense to me, and I haven't heard a good reason not to do this yet.

I don't understand why it matters if a person lives in the same place as their grandparent? Does it take fifty years to go and meet someone? It just sounds to me as an excuse to remain uninvolved. Too much effort to interact with those around us. Not me, I want to know who lives across the street, down the block, and on the street over.

Kinda like I live in a community or some such.

I think you are intentionally misunderstanding. I am pointing out that we no longer live in the world we grew up in. This discussion is about a specific situation involving a set of parents who have designated their children as free-ranging. Your question might more appropriately be addressed to them. Have they gotten to know every person who lives where their children are free-ranging?

I will also remind you that someone can live with someone for decades and not really know them. I'm sure you've read about people who have been married to serial killers and didn't know it. Simply introducing yourself to someone, learning their name, and having a superficial chat in no way guarantees that they are decent people.

<< 5  6  7   >>

join