It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents investigated for neglect after letting kids walk home alone

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is United States of America and still a free country when we allow Government,Society,CPS, threaten to take kids from their parents that care for their childen and home where they are Loved. Then we allow it to happen to anyone of us. We all parent differently and should have that right. Heck, I would ride my bike around the block at 7 in the 70's with no helmet No Cell phone No tattoo app that can track a child witch they have now ? And kids these days spend way to much time inside playing Xbox on the tablet or I pad or PS4? Plus Do any of You know how the CPS System works ? You don't get a jury trial you get a judge and CPS workers trying to take your kids ?Especially in Montgomery County one of the Richest County's in the United States? Where these worker make 70-100k a yr and get bonuses for keeping a case open longer and taking Kids away from parents just Google How CPS works ? More negative then positive? This Is a bad system...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I child can go missing from inside a their home anything can happen to anyone at any time ? reply to: shaneslaughta

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Different area's of the country have different crime rates and just maybe the police are aware of pedophiliacs that are living in the community, who are predatory in nature and they want to protect children from them.
But if that is the case I think that's a conversion they need to have with these parents to justify such a heavy hand.

In my generation, in grade 1 we all walked to school over a mile, no issue's.

But threatening to take kids away for something that might happen, what a fear based society we have devolved into.
edit on 16-1-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Wrong first off My youngest has a phone No with downloaded games on it and a Down loaded GPS app No the data is blocked You sound like some one Who has No kids has No idea what is out there a parent can buy to protect your kids plus my own kids have all taken self Defense Classes it is how you prepare your kids and teach kids every child is different and I have 12 so yes I would know something about raising kids as several are adults that went to good Colleges and are Good productive Christian human beings. I have 2 kids I would Not trust to walk down the street alone but the rest are responsible and have good common sense however they all have Values that I have taught them. And sometimes the kid you don't trust is the kid that will surprise you? I also believe it is a parents right in the USA to parent and Not Be Threatened by Big Government? My sons go to the bathroom alone all the time as my wife can not go in there? Anything could happen at any time? preply to: shaneslaughta

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Do something about then if you saw these Teen do something?a reply to: TonyS

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Montgomery County Has A Lot of Rich people in it as the medium house hold income is 100k to 200k Living in silver spring is Not a bad area however some of the super Rich may think so but you still have to dish ok 500,000k to own a single family home in Montgomery County Md... So No CPS in this county is Corrupt .... What I am saying do any of you think these kids deserve to be taken from their parents? For Walking home . We have a friend's that are foster parents my wife went to a meet and greet at McDonald's where the foster moms get together she came home horrified...One fost parent told my wife she only fosters teens locks them in their room after they get home from school and has a lock on her fridge and pantry? We have a large family and Would Never do that ?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Texas67r

You can report it to the cops, but 9 times out of 10, they don't respond because they use the pimps as informants.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Kudos to whoever was looking out for the two kids referenced in the article.

A child's mental age has a lot to do with the parents. If the child is taught properly there is no reason why a 10 year old can't walk to the park by him/herself.

The perpetual state of fear many people live in with regards to stranger danger and some notion that some other person actually wants to take their kids is created and stirred by the MSM. It's no different than the sensationalized terrorist threats.

Obviously, each city/town/community is different and parents need to be aware of what's going on around them. I suppose this is where we might begin to discuss the absent parent staring at their smart phone. There are a lot of idiots out there and idiots breed. But, I'd take an idiot parent over one that doesn't have the mental fortitude, snaps and kills their own kid(s).

Based on the article I posted, I don't see those parents as idiots or oblivious to what their kids are doing. They shouldn't have been treated that way. They have the right to decide what their kids are smart enough to handle.

There is evidence that the western ideas of child rearing are more harmful and extend childhood and a child-like mental state. I'm guessing there are lots of people ALL for extending childhood and the child-like mental state for their kids. Personally, I think it's the worst thing we can do to any human being and we are beginning to see the ramifications of these child rearing ideas.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Anyone could be taken at any time even you me and all it takes is a van with a side door and when you get in to your car they grab you.. You can live in fear or prepare your children for the real world prepare them to know how to protect them selfs but if you don't teach them independence they will rely on someone their whole life and not rely on them selfs. This is exactly why a lkt of kids these days feel a sense of entitlement? The Whole this Do You Want CPS telling You what to Do with your kid ? Because if they do this to these parents what stops them from doing it to any of us and Children Die in foster care ? Just food for thought ....reply to: shaneslaughta

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta

Pedophiles and rapists and murders are everywhere. Don't any of you watch the news?

Comments like these I super scary to me. How sad for you that your world is based on what Nancy Grace decides to put on the air.

The news reports stranger abductions because it's shocking and increases ratings. They don't report abuse by known people because it's less shocking even though it's far more common.

Those kids were probably statistically safer walking alone than going to school. They were clearly more likely to be killed if their parents drove them home.

The truly sad part is that you believe you have a right to force your opinions on parenting on others by force. That type of thinking will put kids in harm.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a discussion on how to raise kids or whether or not the government should tell us how to raise our kids? If someone wants to let their kids walk home from the park, who are you to say they shouldn't let them? Regardless of whether or not you think letting your kids free range is "right" or not, the government should have no place in making that decision.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: VxFORxVENDETTA
I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a discussion on how to raise kids or whether or not the government should tell us how to raise our kids? If someone wants to let their kids walk home from the park, who are you to say they shouldn't let them? Regardless of whether or not you think letting your kids free range is "right" or not, the government should have no place in making that decision.

OK, I'll buy that if you buy that if the kids go missing the government should have no responsibility to respond. Agree?

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I think it is law enforcments job to respond to crime and not so much emphsis should be put on prevention. If it becomes all about prevention then no one will be allowed to do anything at all. It always comes back to intent.

eta one tidbit i heard on the news about this situation i think may not be put forth in this thread and it goes against my personal opinion is that i think in md. where this happened it is illegal to allow children to roam around without someone age 13 to be in the group.
edit on 17-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

OK, I'll buy that if you buy that if the kids go missing the government should have no responsibility to respond. Agree?

That's like saying that when a couple of hikers get off the beaten path and go where the signs tell them not to go and end up getting stranded on the side of a rock cliff, they're not to call emergency rescue....'cause, after all, it's their own fault.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: Tangerine

That's like saying that when a couple of hikers get off the beaten path and go where the signs tell them not to go and end up getting stranded on the side of a rock cliff, they're not to call emergency rescue....'cause, after all, it's their own fault.

Yes, it's like saying that.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'm of two minds on this. First of all, just like with most posters on here, I had the freedom to play with kids on the block, walk to school, ride bikes to the local ice cream shop, etc...I had the best time as a kid and, to this day, cherish the freedom I was given.

But we had pedophiles, rapists and murderers back in the 70s and 80s, too. Remember Dean Corll? He killed a bunch of kids and rented a shed to bury their bodies. What about Adam Walsh? The boy who was taken from a dept store and murdered. And there was Johnny Gosch. He was taken while delivering morning newspapers (I have a personal experience with this; I babysat for his aunt)

I just wonder that, if we had internet and 24 hour news back then, would our parents have been so trusting? Hearing about so many abductions, rapes and murders these days is a little shocking. Right now, in a suburb of Dallas (Plano) we have a woman whose friend walked her to her car in the early morning and disappeared.

Maybe, just maybe...they would've thought twice about allowing us to walk to school or to the park alone.
edit on 17-1-2015 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2015 by texasgirl because: spelling errors

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
I'm of two minds on this. First of all, just like with most posters on here, I had the freedom to play with kids on the block, walk to school, ride bikes to the local ice cream shop, etc...I had the best time as a kid and, to this day, cherish the freedom I was given.

But we had pedophiles, rapists and murderers back in the 70s and 80s, too. Remember Dean Corll? He killed a bunch of kids and rented a shed to bury their bodies. What about Adam Walsh? The boy who was taken from a dept store and murdered. And there was Johnny Gosch. He was taken while delivering morning newspapers (I have a personal experience with this; I babysat for his aunt)

I just wonder that, if we had internet and 24 hour news back then, would our parents have been so trusting? Hearing about so many abductions, rapes and murders these days is a little shocking. Right now, in a suburb of Dallas (Plano) we have a woman whose friend walked her to her car in the early morning and disappeared.

Maybe, just maybe...they would've thought twice about allowing us to walk to school or to the park alone.

I think you're absolutely right. While it's true that media leads with tragedies and creates the impression that they occur more often than they do, had parents decades ago been exposed to it they likely would have reacted like parents today.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The flat out truth is this...

Human beings learn more from making mistakes than they do from success. This goes for our kids, they have to be allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. The data does not support random kids being constantly abducted from suburb America. Does it happen? Yes, the chances it happens to your own kid(s) is very low.

Not giving your kids freedom and allowing them to make mistakes will eventually turn him/her into the mindless drones that the government wants.

So, if you are a parent choose what you want:
1. Free thinking child capable of making his/her own choices (might make mistakes)
2. Mindless drone that memorizes, regurgitates, and is too afraid to wander too far from mom/dad (always chooses the right and safe choice, but can't think for him/herself)

The government wants #2 which is why they are willing to investigate and threaten parents that give their children too much freedom.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

What a crock. This kind of pampering of children, of treating them like they are helpless and lost without an adult around to guide them, is probably a factor in the behavior of children today. Those kids were old enough to walk that distance without supervision. I don't know what else to say....I'm simply stunned.

I used to walk about 3/4 a mile home from school everyday when I was seven onward. My parents didn't do this at a drop of a hat. My parents taught me at a young age the obvious and not so obvious dangers. It was a gradual learning experience combined with supervision at a modest distance. then the day came that I went alone. It worked well for me.

Too the other people on here denigrating these parents I have this to say: You may have been raised and raise you kids today in an obtrusive and coddling nature. Other parents don't. They want their children to be a part of the world. They don't want their kids to be afraid of it. There are dangers in the world and coddling kids and letting them grow up in a safety bubble is a disservice.
edit on 17-1-2015 by My_Reality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable if we wrapped children in bubble wrap until they turn 18? I've heard of helicopter parenting but, geez Louise you must have an iron grip on them.

It's not like their parents dropped them off at a Nambla convention and wished them luck in going it alone. They let them walk home alone because they trust them to do so. Children have to be taught self reliance. You cannot keep them swaddled to your bosom forever.
edit on 18-1-2015 by U4ea82 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join