It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verviers: Three terrorists killed in Belgium after police swoop on address following tip-off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
link
It isn't clear apparently if they were linked to the French attack but others have been detained

'Belgian media reported that a man had handed himself in to police in the southern city of Charleroi on Tuesday, saying he had been in touch with Amedy Coulibaly, the militant who took hostages in a Jewish supermarket in the French capital and was later killed by security forces.

According to the reports, the man said that he swindled Coulibaly in a car sale, but police later found evidence that the two were negotiating about the sale of ammunition for a 7.62 mm caliber firearm.'
edit on 3021642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

Police in Belgium have now said the group were planning an imminent attack.

I think this is a good show from them. About time someone took a hard line with the extremists.
edit on 1821642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/15/2015 by tothetenthpower because: -Mod Edit-Moved forum to BAN & fixed title.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Interesting. I would think its related i mean there was just a report that Belgium arms deals supplied the weapons to the terrorists.

If its not related its a hell of a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
Interesting. I would think its related i mean there was just a report that Belgium arms deals supplied the weapons to the terrorists.

If its not related its a hell of a coincidence.
going by what is in the article I would say so yeah.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
On the BBC they are claiming the raid occurred in the same area where some of the arms used in France were purchased.

Belgian media has reported that some of the weapons used in the attacks in Paris were bought near the Midi train station in Brussels.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This would be the second (attempted) terrorist attack in a relatively short time in Belgium if I'm not mistaken and a very quick one after the horrendous attacks in France. We must not forget that other attacks have been prevented recently as well and also that several cities were threatened and mentioned by IS. Currently things appear to be escalating rapidly and I somewhat expect the situation to quiet down a bit just like similar ones before... but easing pressure doesn't necessarily mean that no further seeds of resentment, fear and disgust have been planted.

The last thing we need is a terrorist attack (in Europe) this quickly after what happened in Paris but I suppose these attackers figured exactly the same and just wanted to add fuel to the fire. Disheartening to see how certain groups and individuals actively try to steer and manipulate the situation into civil war. How long will they need to poke?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
They have apparently told police to wear body armour when out on the streets and the Cinquantenaire tunnel has been closed although that may not be related. The important thing is something that could have led to more death and more divided people has been stopped. They fired on police first. Remember all the scares a couple years back about a Mumbai style attack? I think that's what these groups are trying to carry out now.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Merely days after the Paris supermarket terrorist Ahmedy Colibali was sheep-dipped by the media to “Belgian arms dealers”,the Belgian Police is reported to have liquidated two Islamic patsies in one of many Counterterrorism raids across the country.

Other raids are reportedly underway below the radar across Europe. Is this a cleanup operation meant to prevent embarrassing details from exposure to world media? Is the whole thing just a show meant to prop up an atmosphere of war across Europe to advance Bilderberg’s recent plan for a continent-wide superstate spy agency with draconian authorities?

CONTINUE READING

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Mixed reports but all confirm 2 killed and RT even reports that 1 was captured:

Belgian police have killed two suspects and arrested a third in a raid on a terror cell in Verviers. They were allegedly planning a serious and “imminent” attack. The anti-terror operation is ongoing as Europe is on high alert following attacks in France.

rt.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
a reply to: sg1642

Mixed reports but all confirm 2 killed and RT even reports that 1 was captured:

Belgian police have killed two suspects and arrested a third in a raid on a terror cell in Verviers. They were allegedly planning a serious and “imminent” attack. The anti-terror operation is ongoing as Europe is on high alert following attacks in France.

rt.com...
yeah I think the actual figure is two dead one injured and arrested.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
This would be the second (attempted) terrorist attack in a relatively short time in Belgium if I'm not mistaken and a very quick one after the horrendous attacks in France.

I think some here get the info relayed here a bit wrong.

There are three things which happened recently in Belgium and they shouldn't be confused. None so far is a terror attack.

1) The first event is the guy who handed himself over the police in Charleroi. He saw on TV that the Coulibaly story was getting really big so he freaked out because he sold him the car and some guns. That guy isn't a terrorist, he actually even tried to scam Coulibaly over the deal
Just a stolen car/gun dealer.

2) Five police searches took place in Brussels, all related to suspected jihadists/fighters who returned from Syria. One person was arrested, none killed.

These police searches were part of a concerted effort, previously planned (even before the Paris attacks) and resulted in 10 warrants all over the country. All related to suspected jihadists returned from or related to Syria/Syrian fighters.

One of these searches ended violently in Verviers, where 2 (3?) of the suspects were killed after opening fire on the police. A third was arrested.

3) A man was seen in the subway in Brussels holding a gun and yelling Allahu Akbar. He was arrested after a chase. The man was apparently completely drunk.

Basically, terror attacks were planned and imminent, but in this case, unlike in France, it's actually the police who won this round

I hope this clarifies the situation a bit for GLP because I read some conflicting and incorrect information in this thread.
edit on 16-1-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the information guys, didn't know a lot about this.

new topics

top topics

join